Portable Genny - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 81 Old 05-07-2016
Dirt Free

Re: Portable Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The specific gravity of Carbon Monoxide is 0.9657 (with normal air being 1.0), this means that it will float up towards the ceiling because it is lighter than regular air. However, when a build up of dangerous levels of CO gas is taking place, this is nearly always due to a heat source that is not burning its fuel correctly (motor vehicle exhaust fumes are an exception). This heated air can form a layer near your ceiling which can prevent the Carbon Monoxide from reaching a ceiling detector.

For this reason I strongly suggest that it is best to mount your detectors on the walls at least a couple of feet below the height of the ceiling. If your detector has a digital read-out, then I recommend placing it at about eye level so you can easily read it. Or if you have some other structure, like the exposed beam in this photograph insdide my house which is positioned below the ceiling level, then you can attach your carbon monoxide detectors to it instead.

I got this just by googling carbon monoxide detector locations.

Gary
A specific gravity difference of .0343 is so miniscule that a single breath, an open port, someone opening or closing a door in an adjacent room is enough to send the CO in another direction up, down or sideways. My safety training has been that CO detectors be near head level in room being protected for that reason e.g. bed level, close to headboard in sleeping accomodations

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 05-07-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 Old 05-08-2016

It all depends upon the volume of gas - and of course, the temperature. I treated hundreds of CO poisoning patients in the 15 years I spend working in medicine, and I can assure you that it doesn't require a lot of CO to enter the bloodstream to be deadly. If it were not for hyperbaric therapy, which I worked with back in the 1960s, there would be a lot more CO deaths in Baltimore.

Gary
post #73 of 81 Old 05-10-2016 Thread Starter

Ok so pretty much, most of the repsonses are don't buy a generator cause you'll die due to CO

post #74 of 81 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandships View Post
Ok so pretty much, most of the repsonses are don't buy a generator cause you'll die due to CO
Nah! Just be careful about the placement and you won't have any problems at all. And, of course, get an inexpensive CO detector, which can keep you out of trouble.

Good luck,

Gary
post #75 of 81 Old 06-03-2016

Honda guy here...sorry I'm late. A few facts:

No Honda generators are Coast Guard approved. Honda does not recommend their use aboard any craft.

The EU2000i has a splash-type lubrication system, not pressurized, and there is an engine shut-down sensor (float-type) if the oil level falls below a minimum level. This sensor can engage more readily if the generator is operated at an angle vs. flat and level.

The EU2000i has a vacuum-style (not electric) fuel pump. Most generators are simple fuel tanks with gravity-feed designs, but the compact design of the EU2000i means the carburetor sits above the fuel tank sump, so a pump is required.

There are no special hardware or treatment of materials to make them marine grade or less susceptible to corrosion.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
[email protected]
post #76 of 81 Old 06-03-2016

Well, there you go. All you folks that use the honda portables aboard are all going to die.
guitarguy56 and mbianka like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #77 of 81 Old 06-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Well, there you go. All you folks that use the honda portables aboard are all going to die.
Only if you don't get the Honda that comes with the common sense mod.
guitarguy56 likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #78 of 81 Old 06-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Only if you don't get the Honda that comes with the common sense mod.
I die every time I crank mine on... Oh wait I never have used it on the boat for anything but useless weight but glad it's there! No wonder I still walk this Earth! Sigh...
post #79 of 81 Old 06-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Honda guy here...sorry I'm late. A few facts:

• No Honda generators are Coast Guard approved. Honda does not recommend their use aboard any craft.

• The EU2000i has a splash-type lubrication system, not pressurized, and there is an engine shut-down sensor (float-type) if the oil level falls below a minimum level. This sensor can engage more readily if the generator is operated at an angle vs. flat and level.

• The EU2000i has a vacuum-style (not electric) fuel pump. Most generators are simple fuel tanks with gravity-feed designs, but the compact design of the EU2000i means the carburetor sits above the fuel tank sump, so a pump is required.

• There are no special hardware or treatment of materials to make them marine grade or less susceptible to corrosion.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
[email protected]
I agree but, it is still a great generator to use on board as long as you use some common sense. Though one has to keep an eye on corrosion issue. Especially the case screws as I found out when I had to replace the pull cord after five years of use: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: RELIABILITY: So much for that!
About to start my 9th season with it and plan to change out the muffler due to some rusting around the screw heads. Still a great product to have on board and complements my electric propulsion system very nicely.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

Last edited by mbianka; 06-03-2016 at 03:05 PM.
post #80 of 81 Old 06-03-2016

Over the years I've heard lots of people rave about their Hondas. Just curious...has anyone seen that infomercial about the new Generac 2000 inverter style generator. Made to compete directly with the Honda 2000 and has a couple nice features the Honda doesn't have. They say it is even a few decibels quieter than the Honda and about $200 less. Looked like a pretty nice unit. Generac is a pretty good company and seems they own the home generator market.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in