Replace gas tank Catalina 27? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Replace gas tank Catalina 27?

Hello, all - I have a 1973 Catalina 27 in dry storage in Saugatuk. Recently was on board checking things out and was a strong gas smell. Maintenance guys told me this morning that the gas tank is shot and leaking. Needs to be replaced. Since I have an onboard Atomic 4, it sounds like they are going to have to cut it out of the boat, which doesn't make me happy. I'm about to move it to Chicago to be closer to me. My questions: 1) any ideas how much this will cost me and 2) any recommendations on where I can get this work done?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-20-2016

Re: Replace gas tank Catalina 27?

Least expensive would be to do the work yourself and replace the tank with an off-the-shelf plastic tank. Most expensive would be to have the yard do the work and have a custom tank fabricated. The first option is probably a few hundred $. The second will probably cost a significant percentage of what the boat is worth.
seabeau likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Least expensive would be to do the work yourself and replace the tank with an off-the-shelf plastic tank. Most expensive would be to have the yard do the work and have a custom tank fabricated. The first option is probably a few hundred $. The second will probably cost a significant percentage of what the boat is worth.
Thanks JimsCAL - only trouble is, I don't know how to do fiberglass work and would probably ruin the boat if I tried to cut a big hole in it. Aren't there standard replacement tanks?

post #4 of 31 Old 05-20-2016
One of None

A 73 C27 in storage, needing a tank and owner moving... unless it has sentimental "pricelessness" it's time to part ways. That aside.. are you assuming or just going on advice from others? I had a Oday 30 and the tank came out with us only cutting the filler neck off. without photos and measurements most of us here can't offer any help

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #5 of 31 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Hi, Denise --- ouch, that does not sound good. I'm going by what the maintenance guy at the yard said, after he checked out the tank because it was leaking. Unfortunately I don't have photos, but because there is an inboard motor right next to the tank, there's really no way to get it out without cutting it out, as far as I know. Basically what I'm looking for is a) estimates on how much this will cost from anyone who might have experience and b) a recommendation for a good place to do it in Chicago. However, I'll start wrapping my mind around the idea that this is a deal-breaker. I have sent out emails asking for estimates from places found through a google search.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-20-2016

I recall on my 1978 ish Catalina 27 that the aluminum tank was in the quarterberth.. I would think you could sneak it out without really hacking anything up too badly
travlineasy likes this.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #7 of 31 Old 05-20-2016
One of None

sorry.. words look harsher then the intent of not wanting to hurt your feelings. Looking at this Vid the tank is in the starboard bunk area but it's hard to tell.
https://youtu.be/FuxfdT-6k9M

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #8 of 31 Old 05-20-2016

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Can't say specifically about your 27, but later Catalinas used Ronco "plastic" tanks. Ronco is still in business, and may be able to supply a tank. A friend had an older C 30 and replaced Fuel, water and waste tanks fairly easily.
Just checked, Catalina direct has a replacement aluminum tank available, $628.xx!
L
post #9 of 31 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for that video link, Denise --- that does look very much different than cutting out through the side of the boat! That's something I could probably do - even if it's cutting through the top of that quarter berth. I've seen a replacement tank as well, Lillia. Do you have a link to that one?
post #10 of 31 Old 05-20-2016

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Google Catalina Direct, (Catalina Direct:) find C 27 and check under the engine tab. They actually has a few options. Also try calling Catalina Yachts. My C 30 friend calls them all the time, they are very helpful, and sometimes you get to speak to the guys who built the boat. There are a number of C 27 groups, Yahoo or sailboat owners. One of the nice things about owning a boat the was in production for 30 years,is that somebody has already had the problem you are having.
For the record I have no connection with any of those places except as an occasional customer.
Lou
seabeau likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in