Palmer P60 - sink or swim? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 08-04-2019

I'm thinking about sailing my 1973 Islander MK2 up the coast of California from Long Beach to Moss Landing. I'm somewhat knowledgeable but crew is all novice. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on this voyage and if I should do it at all. Currently I installed a brand new Honda 15hp outboard on the back but think it will be useless in the open ocean. Also, having trouble getting inboard engine to Rev up while in gear (in neutral it runs great).iv read this forum and tried replacing spark plugs,spark plug cables, fuel pump, dis cap, points, oil, fuel filter, brand new carb, fresh gas. But still not getting and revs when put in gear. Any suggestions?

My plan is to do a haul out, bottom paint, and replace all the through hole valves in moss landing.

Also is it safe with my oxidized thru hole valves (Attatched photos). The water coolant intake valve handle is broken as well. Im shooting for end of August or September for best weather window up north. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 08-04-2019

Re: Palmer P60 - sink or swim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonThomas21 View Post
I'm thinking about sailing my 1973 Islander MK2 up the coast of California from Long Beach to Moss Landing. I'm somewhat knowledgeable but crew is all novice. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on this voyage and if I should do it at all. Currently I installed a brand new Honda 15hp outboard on the back but think it will be useless in the open ocean. Also, having trouble getting inboard engine to Rev up while in gear (in neutral it runs great).iv read this forum and tried replacing spark plugs,spark plug cables, fuel pump, dis cap, points, oil, fuel filter, brand new carb, fresh gas. But still not getting and revs when put in gear. Any suggestions?

My plan is to do a haul out, bottom paint, and replace all the through hole valves in moss landing.

Also is it safe with my oxidized thru hole valves (Attatched photos). The water coolant intake valve handle is broken as well. Im shooting for end of August or September for best weather window up north. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hey Brandon , why Moss Landing ? If you are looking for a DIY yard Eddie's is only a few miles from you .
Mark .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #23 of 24 Old 08-05-2019

Re: Palmer P60 - sink or swim?

Brandon, what type of Islander? (I always assume they are the 36’er). Is the boat new to you? Common reasons for not getting peak RPM under load are: 1) Prop not properly pitched and 2) Exhaust elbow/mixer is clogged, or “coked” up. You might want to have a competent mechanic look at it in Long Beach. I personally would not take a boat up or down the coast with suspect thru hulls/valves.

September though October and the beginning of November is the sweet spot for heading up the coast. But this is predicated on being able to motor all the way up (this is how most people do it). The California longshore current can run from a quarter knot and upwards to one and it will be against you. The predominant wind is from the Northwest so your preferred tack is towards the lee shore of the coast and Stb tack will feel like you are heading towards Hawaii rather than Monterey Bay. This is what I do when delivering boats up the coast that don’t have large tankage. First, I go to Santa Barbara, then take off in the evening depending upon the speed potential of your boat. You want to be at Conception between midnight and 4 AM. Then make your refueling stop at Morrow Bay. Port San Luis is a bit out of your way. Then go up the coast (one to two overnights depending upon the boat) and to Monterey or in your case, Moss Landing. The biggest “rookie” mistake is over estimating the speed potential of your boat and under estimating the current. If there is a storm out in the North Pacific, you could encounter big swells with or without big winds so monitor the weather forecast before you go. Remember, there is no shame in waiting a couple of days for a weather window. Besides, there are some good bars and fish restaurants in Morrow. Good luck! And let us know how it works out.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.

post #24 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago

Thank you so much for the info George B! We made it past Point Conception safe and sound! Hit it right at midnight and stayed about 6 miles off shore. What an adventure!! Sad news was we left Santa Barbara and saw the dive boat the Conception the day before at the marina. Then while we were hitting point conception heard the boat was on fire at Santa Cruz Island. Devastating news...

We fell in love with Morro Bay so decided to keep the boat there for a month. Any other recommendations on Morro Bay to Monterey/Moss Landing? I heard Point Sur can be fun. We will wait for the right weather window of course. Thanks again for all the info everyone!

Last edited by BrandonThomas21; 6 Days Ago at 06:43 PM.

Tags
engine , islander , outboard , rewpower

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in