How do I get some shade? - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-07-2013 Thread Starter

How do I get some shade?

We sailed for almost 8 hrs on Friday. Conditions were everything from gentle breeze to heaving Charleston harbor and 20knots. It was a great day except for one thing. The sun and heat index were both very strong. The attached pics show the cockpit of our HR
28. It came with the small bim. As a result, passengers sitting forward can get some heat relief but yours truly at the helm is always exposed. I always wear a full brimmed hat and slather on the sunscreen but as a guy who has paid for numerous dermatologist's new cars I am concerned about so much exposure. The challenges of a bimini are the limitation created by the main sheet traveler placement and the low height of the boom. The boom would allow for max 54" high bim which could make for an interesting twist turn getting on and off the boat.

I have contemplated going back to a tiller but I love the ability to sit in one place, easily look forward and control everything. Plus the teak wheel may be her prettiest feature. I have also considered relocating the traveler to make room aft of helom for bim. Or I have wondered if there isn't some way to shoe horn a bim ahead of the current main sheet. Possibly I am over thinking this but I am curious to see what others might suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
rps20130707_090856_954.jpg   rps20130707_091024_423.jpg   rps20130707_091101_465.jpg  
juggleandhope likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-07-2013

Re: How do I get some shade?

Have the local canvas shop come and give you their suggestion. It looks like you have room to extend the bimini farther toward the stern.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Have the local canvas shop come and give you their suggestion. It looks like you have room to extend the bimini farther toward the stern.
I agree it looks like you have room to come back some and even a little higher. But it looks like whoever is at the wheel will still be in the sun.

Catalina 34

post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I agree it looks like you have room to come back some and even a little higher. But it looks like whoever is at the wheel will still be in the sun.
Well, darn... The solution is to sail eastward in the morning and westward in the evening if the bimini falls short of the helm seat.
Adele-H likes this.

Last edited by Seaduction; 07-07-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2013
One of None

Well, you could relocate the traveler to the coach roof, but that may be worrisome if the boom is not able to bear stresses.
Or, a long bim that goes from over the companion way back to just in front of the main-sheet. then a small bim behind the main-sheet that is higher then the one over the cockpit. AND, when at rest. a fill in in between with zippers or velcro.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-07-2013

There are lots of options, including a Bimini with openings for the main sheet, and Back Stay. Of if the boom stays centered most of the time, you can even suspend a small, silver, plastic tarp beneath the boom on a frame made of lightweight PVC tubing. I've seen several of these used in Chesapeake Bay. In my case, the blue Bimini produces a lot of heat, so I keep it covered with a silver tarp - which lowers the temperature in the cockpit by at least 10 degrees. While that medium blue bimini looks good, the color is just not very practical. I wonder when the boating industry is going to wake up and begin utilizing light colored, reflective materials instead of heat absorbing sunbrella canvas.

Gary
post #7 of 21 Old 07-07-2013

Sunbrella comes in many colours including white, light grey, silver and linen which do reflect more than they absorb. The question is really when will boaters utilize these colours?

Sunbrella, as far as I have found, is the best material for biminis and dodgers.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-07-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

umbrella hat??

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #9 of 21 Old 07-07-2013

We don't have a bimini so this is what we use:

Home page

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

post #10 of 21 Old 07-07-2013
S/V Glenn E

You should be able to get a bimini that goes from over the companionway all the way back to just forward of the main sheet. Our Newport 27 is similar and we just did that. We have a tiller and so the pilot sits forward but still it would cover your wheel position as your main looks well forward of it. And our main clears it when running so yours should too. The ones we checked out on eBay came in 46" and 54" height and the one we got was $134 shipped to the house. 10 year guarantee. No window to look through which we may have to rectify during the off season. It has made a VAST difference in our sailing comfort since it's usually in the 90's or higher here. Even makes a great difference when up at the slip as well since we don't have AC. Makes it a bit harder to bard from the side when deployed but not overly so.

"Sailing with a hero"
Honoring S/Sgt Glenn English, Jr, Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism that cost his life in Viet Nam, 9/7/70.
Newport 27 built 1970-Hull # N270088

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in