Jib halyard too tight - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pdqaltair

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2013 Thread Starter

Jib halyard too tight

I was out on an Aloa 34 yesterday with a new boat owner teaching him how to sail.
I let him do the for-deck work to get used to it.

I asked him to release the topping lift after the main was raised and he released the jib halyard instead.

After both sails were flying well I went up to tighten the jib halyard as I didn't think it was a good idea to leave it loose.

At the end of the day we tried to roll up the furling jib and the pennant was wrapping. He has a storm jib hanked on and it has a long pennant about 3 feet on top as the storm jib is pretty small about 110.

I let out a couple inches on the jib halyard and the sail was able to furl fine.

So my question is, is this normal, does excess tension make the roller furling top roller seize or does this mean the top bearing needs to be serviced?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

Re: Jib halyard too tight

Indeed a general question. No info on age (furling), how tight etc. On a 34 ft you probably had the assistance of a winch. Could be tight then, but then you are experienced.
This leads to the conclusion that it wouldn't hurt to have a look on the bearings.

/J
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

Drop the sail check it at deck level. Use his pennat to load it up against halyard tension. Might just need a clean and lube. Or could be old and junk but clean and lube will help if its not total junk.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

I know on my last boat (Jeanneau 43DS) if the main halyard was too tight the in mast furling system would not work as advertised. I wouldn't be surprised at all if tension would prevent the jib furler from working based on my experiance.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

Common problem. Even after I replaced the bearings (smooth as silk now) I still leave the halyard just tensioned. Often the furler instruction tell you to release the tension prior to furling... which for most cruisers means we shouldn't have tensioned it in the first place. Others simply warn that excess halyard tension can cause trouble.

I would hope sail makers would endeavor to design furling jibs for cruisers so that little halyard tension is needed.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 10 Old 10-14-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

BTW- it's "foredeck", not for-deck. As in fore and aft.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

I have always understood (perhaps erroneously) that furler bearings are made of material that requires no lubrication and in fact that lubrication will cause dirt/debris to stick to the bearings and seriously accelerate wear.

I know that because of this understanding, I have never lubed furler bearings and I can't recall having them stick - maybe I'm just lucky.

But I would check before lubing.

I also don't think that excessive luff tension helps - the forestay should maintain the sail shape and the halyard should be just tight enough to remove any wrinkles in the luff. At least that's how I sail my boat.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 10-14-2013 at 09:33 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I have always understood (perhaps erroneously) that furler bearings are made of material that requires no lubrication and in fact that lubrication will cause dirt/debris to stick to the bearings and seriously accelerate wear....
Some are stainless and can benefit from cleaning and lube, some are Torlon (plastic) or equivalent high strength material and should only be flushed. The Torlon bearings only last so long until UV and salt abrasion wear them down, they break, and things get bad fast. Stainless balls can corrode and require lube. The lower ones generally fail first.

Sail Delmarva: Hood Seafurl 800 Bearing Replacement
davidpm likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2013

From Harken manual
Halyard Tension
The jib halyard should be firm, but not too tight.
Tip: The luff foil system supports sail along its length so halyard tension is used only to shape sails, not to support them. Use enough halyard tension to remove some wrinkles along luff of sail. Do not tension halyard enough to cause vertical wrinkles in luff of sail. Tension to adjust position of draft in sail to suit sailing conditions. Halyard should be firm but not tight. If in doubt, release halyard tension. To protect sail, ease halyard when boat is not in use.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
davidpm (10-14-2013)
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Furlex furlers come with a tube of special grease to use on both upper & lower units.
Not all furlers are grease-less.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
davidpm (10-15-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in