Lano Cote Prop and Bottom (Forespar) - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter

Lano Cote Prop and Bottom (Forespar)

Anyone use this stuff?
LanoCote Prop & Bottom

Just order a couple tubs to put on my prop that gets barnacle covered in just a few weeks. Could you really bottom coat the boat under water instead of hauling and painting? I do plan to clean prop and apply under water as instructions say this is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-17-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

Re: Lano Cote Prop and Bottom (Forespar)

I completely cleaned and prepped our prop and applied Prop & Bottom during a short haul in early Sept. I don't think 2 months of late-season use is much of a test, so I'll expect that prop to be clean when the boat is hauled in November! So, I gave it every chance for success--will look forward to your underwater application results.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #3 of 10 Old 01-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I completely cleaned and prepped our prop and applied Prop & Bottom during a short haul in early Sept. I don't think 2 months of late-season use is much of a test, so I'll expect that prop to be clean when the boat is hauled in November! So, I gave it every chance for success--will look forward to your underwater application results.
So what's the results now after some years ?

post #4 of 10 Old 01-28-2017
Irrationally Exuberant

When the boat was hauled, as I remember, the prop had barnacles and other junk on it. I have not use Lanocote since. I've gone back to spray on Pettit Barnacle Barrier, which also allows some barnacles, but it seems to take most of the season.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #5 of 10 Old 01-28-2017
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I have been in the hull cleaning biz for twenty two years. In all that time, the only boat I have ever seen using the Lanocote product was the J/32 I attempted to apply it to.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2017
Noah's Bosun

Using Desitin baby bottom ointment on dinghy outboard lower unit. Beats a $40 rattle can of antifouling for aluminum. Tip up the outboard, slather it on, good for 6-8 wks at a crack. No critters, no grass. 40% zinc oxide in lanolin.

"If the wind will not serve, lay to the oars"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2017

We put 'Propspeed' on our prop in New Zealand and then went home and left the boat stationary in the water for 8 months. We then motored for a few hours and when we hauled the boat we found zero growth on the prop!

Home ? PROPSPEED | Proven Performance for your Boat

The cost for a 22 inch prop and the shaft, including labor, was about $200 US. I prepped the prop and shaft and the yard applied.

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 01-29-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2017

I applied the Forespar Prop and Bottom to my prop in March in S Florida and dove on it in May in the Bahamas and the prop was still clean. When I tried to reapply in-water, I had poor results.
Seems the best use is for winter-stored boats that could apply this in the spring before launch and get most, if not all, of a seasons protection from it.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaghan View Post
So what's the results now after some years ?
I was the OP on this thread. I finally hauled my boat in 2015 and did complete overhaul. On the bronze running gear (prop, prop shaft) I used Forespar Bottom & Prop Coat (Lanolin product). I cleaned all the metal and polished as per instructions and applied on land. Boat went into the water last June. I still had to step the mast so the boat sat for 4 months. After stepping the mast I dove the boat to inspect and clean if needed. The prop and shaft were covered with barnacles, had to use a metal scraper to remove. Prior to the boat setting for 4 months I had only used the engine to move the boat 200 feet from the splash point to the dock, so not like the lanolin should have all come off. My slip neighbor also used the stuff at the same time I did. He has an ex 50 foot navy launch with a single engine and all bronze prop and rudder. He said he also got barnacles but the scraped off easily. I am located in Hawaii (Haleiwa Harbor) and our water is nutrient rich due to a river that discharges to ocean right next to our harbor. I would say the water would be similar to Summer time in the Middle Chesapeake Bay. Next time I will use Barnacle Buster. I do have another dock mate that used the Prop Speed and had good luck and highly recommended it. During the haul out I did epoxy over the bare bronze shaft strut and the used Amaron ABC 3 bottom paint- no problem with growth or barnacles there or on the rest of the haul (also using ABC 3). I still have some of the Lanocoat and will apply it next time I scrape the prop in the water and see how that goes.

In the beginning, there was only water...

Last edited by casey1999; 01-30-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Somewhere back in this thread someone mentioned Propspeed.

The owner of the charter company in Rhode Island that I used to work for applied this to the prop of all of the vessels in the fleet. Cost was >$250 per boat plus labor. Because I am a cheap [email protected]$tard, I have always applied less than half of a $30 can of Pettit 1793 Transducer Antifouling Spray Paint to my prop and shaft. At the end of the 7 month season, my prop looks just as good as theirs, and we are all berthed at the same marina. This could be because of the location, the fact that the barnacles don't like my 30-year-old boat, or something else... but I can maintain my propeller and shaft for less than one-tenth the cost of Propspeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in