Replacing Head Plumbing - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter

Replacing Head Plumbing

I have a 12 year old Bene 331 and I'm looking to replace all the head hoses over the winter. Wondering who has had experience with this and more specifically:
- Has anyone done a system with rigid PVC/ABS and flexible couplers?
- Is there any downside to completely removing the Y-valve for overboard direct discharge (I'm on the great lakes so will never use this option).

thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-13-2013

Re: Replacing Head Plumbing

Getting rid of the Y valve makes sense in your case, simplifies things.

I know SNer 'erps' has much of his head plumbing in hard plastic pipe.. it put a total end to any odor permutation, maybe he'll chime in, or you can send him a PM once you get up to 10 posts (you've been here 3 1/2 years... what's keeping you? )

It's always interesting running 'all new' plumbing in a liner-heavy interior..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 28 Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply- I'm sure this project will elicit much swearing and frustration before its done, but I'm hoping to simplify things as much as I can. I'm sure once I pull the holding tank out the limitations and possibilities will become more apparent.

post #4 of 28 Old 11-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I asked a similar question a few months ago. I wound up buying the conventional wisdom and using the black Triton "green stripe" hose. I haven't actually done the work, though. Rebuilding the head had me deciding to wait until cooler/cold weather to do the work. I'll see if I can find the thread, because there were positive and negative comments about PVC.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Aha! Found the thread:
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/allman...ead-hoses.html

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
... deciding to wait until cooler/cold weather to do the work. I'll see if I can find the thread, because there were positive and negative comments about PVC.
Warm the inside of the boat! Working with sanitation hose (even the rubber ones) in the cold is a drag. Perhaps you will wish it had been a summer project!

And perhaps there are some tips here that will help:
Sail Delmarva: The Easy Button
jimgo likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #7 of 28 Old 11-13-2013
Learning the HARD way...

I sailed on a friend's Bene 311 this past summer. I don't remember much about the head, except that it was at the base of the companionway steps.

I replaced most of the black water hoses in my O'day 35 last spring. I suggest that this IS a project for cooler temps, as it keeps the "bouquet" to a minimum...

My boat was equipped with a VacuFlush head, which I have grown to love. It was plumbed with Dometic's flexible hose, which was not that great, nor was it worth what the P.O. paid.

I used 1 schedule 80 (S80) PVC for any straight runs, and used Trident 102 (white) for anywhere that the hose needed to go through a bulkhead. To connect the S80 to the T102, I used off the shelf 1 PVC connectors, PVC Primer, and PVC Cement from the local big box store.

The trick when connecting PVC pipe to flexible hose is to use off the shelf PVC fittings WITH (and this tid-bit is worth $$$) the Sealand 307341513 Custom Hose Adapter and double hose clamps.

This is a non-ribbed barb adapter which allows for 1 PVC fittings to be used with 1 flexible hose. These sell for about $3.50 each, and they are worth every cent.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-13-2013 at 08:15 PM.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-13-2013
Dirt Free

Replaced all my waste hoses with ABS pipe with only a few inches of hose to make connections at valves, heads and tank. Almost 20 years now and never a leak or an odor.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-13-2013
Barquito

If you use PVC, terminate each end with a section of hose. I think this will help keep any flexing from breaking the PVC.

Valiant 32
post #10 of 28 Old 11-13-2013

Found some blog posts that might be helpful too;

SailSense - Plumbing
Attainable Adventure Cruising - PVC Pipe

Good Luck..

Tags
beneteau 331 , head , hoses , plumbing , sanitary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in