Centerboard repair-Bristol 32 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 11-25-2013 Thread Starter

Re: Centerboard repair-Bristol 32

I'm wondering if barnacles need light to grow? The only explication I can come up with as to why there is no growth higher the 3" up in the CB trunk. The trunk is open to the air through the CB cable tube that is attached to the top of the trunk access plate, runs straight up through the cabin and through the cabin top. Trunk is always full of water and cable pipe has water in it up 18".

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-25-2013 Thread Starter

I am still considering using Amsteel. The Blue 1/4" has a load rating of 8600 lbs. And would fit my winch. And I am having a small issue with replacing the cable at the CB connection. Today I jacked the CB up in the trunk as high as it would go to see if I can get the connection. Looks like I will be able to cut the old one off, but not sure I can get the crimping tool in to reconnect.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Amsteel could be knotted (tied to the CB to connect). I have pictures of all this. Coming soon...

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #13 of 20 Old 11-25-2013 Thread Starter

Anyone have any info on using Amsteel under salt water? Rot? If Amsteel can be used, I understand it takes a sharp bend better than wire rope, and if it can be used under water, I would prefer to use it. Looks like what I have heard from others this is the point of cable failure and low and behold I found my cable about to break in that spot as shown in this picture

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA

post #14 of 20 Old 11-26-2013 Thread Starter

First pass at cleaning up the plate...

Looks more like brass than bronze to me.

The nut for attaching the cable tube is definitely brass.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA

Last edited by Delta-T; 11-26-2013 at 09:27 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-26-2013

Where you show the cable chafe is it where it connects to the centerboard? Still wouldn't think amsteel would handle chafe better than wire but in any case use a thimble.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-26-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
Where you show the cable chafe is it where it connects to the centerboard? Still wouldn't think amsteel would handle chafe better than wire but in any case use a thimble.
Yes, centerboard connection. Looking from the top of the trunk down.

I'm not understanding chafe of the Amsteel? Cable moves a total of 12" to lower CB all the way down. And real slow movement. And only will ajust it once or twice a sail. Sometimes, as I am starting to loose my mind, I forget to raise it up when at dockside. I seldom use it all the way down. most the time only 1/3 down works well. I understand the Amsteel is very stiff at first, but will soften with use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
Still wouldn't think amsteel would handle chafe better than wire but in any case use a thimble.
I don't think a "thimble" would last but a few years. And not sure I have room for one, sheave is the stopping point on top of the CB. I think the cable crimp you see in that pic rides up on the sheave or damn close to it. I can measure to see how much room there is after the sheave is fixed. Can't tell till it is fixed.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #17 of 20 Old 03-27-2014

Delta-T,

Thanks for the info on your repair-in-progress, I have not found much info on repairing the centerboard cable systems on Bristols (or any other boats). Yours is very detailed and thorough, thanks.

I am in the middle of repairing the centerboard cable on my Bristol 29.9. The system is similar but most of the components are fabricated in fiberglass instead of bronze (except the shivs themselves) and the two shivs are in separate "knuckles" that are connected by fiberglass pipes, one directly above the centerboard connection, the other just behind the engine. The system is controlled by a winch mounted inside the starboard cockpit locker, with the handle inserted through the locker wall in the cockpit.

Anyway, my repairs have required me to cut open the shiv knuckle above the centerboard and the pipe just at the exit of the second knuckle by the engine. I had to do this in order to get the new cable run through. I tried various other "fishing" methods to pass a line through the system without cutting but could not prevent the fishing line from coming off the shivs and jamming thus preventing the new cable from being pulled through.

I have decided to go the Amsteel route for the new cable, using 1/4 inch rope. I spliced an eye into it at the centerboard end. My understanding is the only weakness of amsteel is lack of UV resistance, which is not an issue for this job. Rotting should not be a problem with this rope.

I do not have the same kind of damage you show in your pictures, just a replacement cable is all I need for now. However I can see potential for having to replace/repair the bronze shafts the shivs run on in the future.

I should have the whole system back together and sealed up by the end of this week, and the boat back in the water mid-April. I'll report back on how it is working with the amsteel cable.

Best of luck.
Delta-T likes this.

Eric Irvine
1980 Bristol 29.9
Selkie
post #18 of 20 Old 03-27-2014 Thread Starter

Bristol - SailNet CommunityThanks Eric, I sent you a PM.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA

Last edited by Delta-T; 03-27-2014 at 05:40 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter

Just finished this project today...

Access plate with new blocks:

Gasket, sheaves and blocks primed with 2000E barrier coat, ready to install:

The trunk matching flange and 26 studs (3 missing), need lots of TLC and prep to make acceptable for the access plate. Access plate, gasket, blocks, sheaves and cable installed with 3M 4200:

Sanded the chrome off the brass cable tube, polished and lacquered:

Cable up to the deck:

Now on to the normal spring upkeep. We get wet 5/1/14. I'm hoping to work being there for that.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #20 of 20 Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter

Centerboard removal

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA

Tags
bristol , bristol 32 , centerboard , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in