new multi-instrument, Simrad IS15 replacement - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2014 Thread Starter

new multi-instrument, Simrad IS15 replacement

The Simrad IS15 multi instrument has become intermittent. I guess I need to replace
it (unless some has repair suggestions).

Everything is 0183, but my new chartpotter (Garmin 740) can do nema 2k so I will
be moving in that direction over time.

I'm tempted by a new Garmin GMI10 or GMI20 but they sure are pricey. Any other
suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2014

Re: new multi-instrument, Simrad IS15 replacement

Personally, I'd go with Simrad again. I have the IS20 wind instrument, and the NMEA 2000 airmar speed/depth transducer, networked to the plotter and a Garmin GMI 10.

I bought this sail pack a year ago :

SIMRAD IS20 Sail Pack at West Marine

It's quite a bargain. You get the two displays, masthead sensor, and the speed/depth/temp transducer. I actually sold the MFD as I already had the Garmin GMI 10, but that will soon be replaced by Simrad IS40 MFD.

NB the IS20 is Simnet, which is NMEA 2000 but with proprietary cables. I rather like the cabling system, and it connects seamlessly to NMEA 2000 anyway.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 01-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2014
no longer reading SailNet

I use the Raymarine ST70 as my general purpose display. I bought it at a used marine parts store for about $200, for that price it is a bargain.

Raymarine's general purpose one today is called the i70. It is expensive enough when new (over $500) that I'd just buy an A65 instead. That is their smallest MFD and not much larger or more expensive than the i70 while providing much more functionality.

I prefer Raymarine's SeatalkNG cables over the generic NMEA2000. As with Simrad it is trivial and inexpensive to plug in devices using standard NMEA2000 wiring.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

While I am happy with the long life I got out of my old 0183 Simrad equipment, I'm very reluctant to go with any supplier that uses non-standard NEMA2000 cables. I find it very annoying that Simrad and Raymarine are NEMA 2k, but use other names for it. I want a supplier that makes things clear and open - not confusing and proprietary.

Maybe that means I have to go with a Garmin GMI 10 or 20.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2014

The Simnet cabling addresses some issues with NMEA2000. It allows daisy chaining, they make some really handy multi-way adapters, and the plugs on the cable are much thinner making for easier routing.

You can always wire all the Simnet devices with Simnet to NMEA 2000 adapter cables to an NMEA 2000 backbone - if you are a masochist.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Likewise the Raymarine cables are designed to solve some fundemental issues with standard NMEA2000 cables. The biggest one is that the connectors are much smaller and fit more easily through holes and conduit. This has been massive for me when upgrading an old boat, I'd much rather keep my wires intact then cut and splice them as was often done for NMEA 0183.

Since adapters are cheaply and easily available between SeatalkNG and NMEA2000 cable standards I don't have any concerns about this. The data on the wire is identical in both cases. I have a Simrad NMEA 2000 radio and it plugged right into the network (and talks fine with the Raymarine stuff now that Simrad fixed the major RS35/Link8 bugs).

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in