composting toilet-should we do it - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

Re: composting toilet-should we do it

Captain makes the rules.

I draw the line at Vegans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 02-22-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia View Post
We like the little compressed bricks of coir. A year's supply fits in a shoebox. And as we have been installing pretty cypress tongue and groove paneling, we have quite a supply of pleasant smelling sawdust and shavings, which I scoop up from under the saw table and put in gallon ziplock bags. Two of those last us for weeks.
Hauling a gallon jug of urine up to the bathroom at the marina isn't that hard. I wouldn't dream of dumping a jug of sterile urine overboard, any more than I could imagine someone more conveniently plumbed taking a perfectly legal leak over the lee rail. My gallon of recycled iced tea usually goes on my own azaleas, and they appreciate the nitrogen.
Switching to a composter was one of the best head decisions I ever made. I would never consider going back to a traditional head. I use the material from under old moss covered logs as a composting agent ,in a cloth bag made from the leg of old jeans, which I dry behind my stove. As there is plenty around here,, there is no need to carry much. Definitely no mess problem with it. A table spoon of dry swiimming pool bleach eliminates any odour.
post #63 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia View Post
I can see I shall have to rework my welcome-aboard briefing to one more in line with my increasingly curmudgeonly personality. /rant. So there!
FWIW, my doormats say "Go Away." The one for the boat is in coconut fiber, and the one for the house in cypress slats which a fella in Florida builds and then routes out cute sayings like 'Go Away.'
amelia likes this.

post #64 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

We have the Airhead and I would never, ever give it up. Never!!

We bought two urine containers, so we have a fresh one to replace the one that needs emptied. Which we take to the Bathhouse and empty. Before installing the empty container, I put 1 tsp of sugar in the urine bowl which cuts down on odor. As there is none.

The composting portion..we've only stayed on the boat long enough last year that we had to only empty it once, at the end of the season. This year we will be on the boat more of a full time basis. So we'll see how long it takes the two of us to use it and fill it. Although, I always use it, my hubs likes to walk up to the bathhouse to use their facilities in the morning, so we may get a longer time before having to empty it.

JMHO and for what its worth.
amelia likes this.

post #65 of 88 Old 02-22-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Ameila, fwiw, gluten, sugar, fish, seafood, can actually kill some of your guests. Gluten and sugar do it slowly, through a wide range of autoimmune diseases (celiac disease, true wheat allergy, triggers a wide range of serious autoimmune diseases, the list is growing) and Type 2 diabetes, which among other things can destroy your retinas. Both can cause slow and unnecessary death from a variety of conditions that hadn't been related to the causes until a decade or so ago.

Fish and sugar are actually kinder, they tend to kill immediately from anaphylactic shock, but if you're lucky, someone has an epipen on board.

Crap in the bucket? No one really wants to bother changing baby diapers while they're having dinner, either. Not even the proud parents.
post #66 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

Hello! What a strange and hostile response! When I was a child, I was taught to eat what I took on my plate, to politely and quietly decline what I could not eat, and never ever to make an issue of it, under any circumstances. That is so not done these days. Everybody is a prima donna, entitled to dictate and pass judgment on the menu. As a result, despite the fact that I used to like to cook and entertain, I don't give many formal dinner parties anymore, because I simply cannot keep up. It is just too confusing to plan a lovely menu that will accommodate everybody's whims and fashionable sensitivities. Who will or won't eat what, and who will feel as if the menu needs their personal prior approval? I am too old to prepare a different main course for every guest to cater to their needs. When I first began to entertain, if you couldn't eat shrimp, you didn't. If you were on a diet, you passed the plate on by, or just took a tiny taste.

Flexibility, gracious appreciation, and willingness to accede to the customs of the home--or boat-- in which one finds oneself seem to be hopelessly out of fashion. I equated this personal-preference-as-diktat to the need to design the head and its infrastructure to accommodate some hypothetically hyperfastidious guest's hypothetical head hangups. What an odd leap that we somehow discuss bathrooms at the table. We don't, and if you do, you may be excused from the table. :roll eyes:

Furthermore, even if your head and your foul holding tank makes your whole boat smell like a poorly kept privy, I wouldn't dream of mentioning it, or making a scene. Doesn't seem like too much to ask the same courtesy in return. I might suggest, though, that if you are so repulsed by my desiccating head, that you take care to go in a more acceptable facility before boarding my vessel.

Last edited by amelia; 02-22-2014 at 10:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-23-2014)
post #67 of 88 Old 02-22-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Hostile?
OK, call it that. Your post sounded quite dismissive of a number of serious problems. I'm not talking about the prima donnas who insist that they won't drink Coke they only drink Pepsi, I'm talking about guests who may have serious dietary issues, and it sounds like you're saying "TFB" if your menu poisons them.

Take it or leave it? No, if I'm having guests at home or afloat, I make reasonable accommodations. They can't specify the cut of meat but if I knew they were vegans, I sure as hell wouldn't tell them "Tonight's dinner is steak, eat it or go hungry." And if they had peanut allergies, I sure as hell wouldn't tell them "Lunch is PBJs, if you don't like it call out for your own pizza."

Now if you want some real head worries, find one of the WW2 submarines that is open for display and tours and read the extensive instructions showing how to operate the head (while submerged) without sinking the boat, or blowing the sewage tank back into it.

If all you have is a Turkish Toilet, great, but you might want to let the guests know ahead of time. Or, at least hand them a Sears catalogue before you send them in.

Food allergies and digestive disorders can be major life issues, dismissing them outright is like saying you'll undo the whole ADA, ban wheelchairs from public spaces, and set the world back fifty years on "accommodation" for folks with real handicaps. Which these are.
post #68 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Hello! What a strange and hostile response! When I was a child, I was taught to eat what I took on my plate, to politely and quietly decline what I could not eat, and never ever to make an issue of it, under any circumstances. That is so not done these days. Everybody is a prima donna, entitled to dictate and pass judgment on the menu. As a result, despite the fact that I used to like to cook and entertain, I don't give many formal dinner parties anymore, because I simply cannot keep up. It is just too confusing to plan a lovely menu that will accommodate everybody's whims and fashionable sensitivities. Who will or won't eat what, and who will feel as if the menu needs their personal prior approval? I am too old to prepare a different main course for every guest to cater to their needs. When I first began to entertain, if you couldn't eat shrimp, you didn't. If you were on a diet, you passed the plate on by, or just took a tiny taste.

Flexibility, gracious appreciation, and willingness to accede to the customs of the home--or boat-- in which one finds oneself seem to be hopelessly out of fashion. I equated this personal-preference-as-diktat to the need to design the head and its infrastructure to accommodate some hypothetically hyperfastidious guest's hypothetical head hangups. What an odd leap that we somehow discuss bathrooms at the table. We don't, and if you do, you may be excused from the table. :roll eyes:

Furthermore, even if your head and your foul holding tank makes your whole boat smell like a poorly kept privy, I wouldn't dream of mentioning it, or making a scene. Doesn't seem like too much to ask the same courtesy in return. I might suggest, though, that if you are so repulsed by my desiccating head, that you take care to go in a more acceptable facility before boarding my vessel.
THANK YOU ! ! Well said. Bravo

You home is your castle. While in other people's castle's show some respect.
post #69 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
wienie, I know the book you mean just can't remember the name of it.

The author did all his research, picked the "separating" head, and then wound up at one point with 2? 4? women crew on the boat. Apparently the head he chose just didn't properly separate the urine stream from women, resulting in a huge wet mess in the "dry" section that promptly slopped out of the bowl when they were heeled.

At least, that was his conclusion.
And not only that he had some crew compliance issues and some of the women refused to use the head the way it was designed.
It was effectively sabotage in that case.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #70 of 88 Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Hostile?
OK, call it that. Your post sounded quite dismissive of a number of serious problems. I'm not talking about the prima donnas who insist that they won't drink Coke they only drink Pepsi, I'm talking about guests who may have serious dietary issues, and it sounds like you're saying "TFB" if your menu poisons them.

Take it or leave it? No, if I'm having guests at home or afloat, I make reasonable accommodations. They can't specify the cut of meat but if I knew they were vegans, I sure as hell wouldn't tell them "Tonight's dinner is steak, eat it or go hungry." And if they had peanut allergies, I sure as hell wouldn't tell them "Lunch is PBJs, if you don't like it call out for your own pizza."

Now if you want some real head worries, find one of the WW2 submarines that is open for display and tours and read the extensive instructions showing how to operate the head (while submerged) without sinking the boat, or blowing the sewage tank back into it.

If all you have is a Turkish Toilet, great, but you might want to let the guests know ahead of time. Or, at least hand them a Sears catalogue before you send them in.

Food allergies and digestive disorders can be major life issues, dismissing them outright is like saying you'll undo the whole ADA, ban wheelchairs from public spaces, and set the world back fifty years on "accommodation" for folks with real handicaps. Which these are.
You must be a lawyer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in