Admidship Ladder: Folding Dock Ladder - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-03-2014 Thread Starter

Admidship Ladder: Folding Dock Ladder

Hello,

I have been racking my brain for over a year now on the best way to add a ladder to my South Coast 23. The Admiral has now made this feature a requirement for this coming sailing season.

I am sure that an amidship ladder will be much easier to use from the water. If I can line it up with the boarding gate in the lifelines then we will be able to get back in without stepping over the stern rails.

So far my favorite solution is actually a dock ladder:

Dock Edge Ladder

I think I can hang the hinge out over the toe rail. That way I can tie the ladder to the lifelines or stanchions when it is flipped up and underway.

I would greatly appreciate it if sailnet would take a look at this idea and tell me if it looks like a bad idea.

If it IS a bad idea -- What is a good idea for an amidship ladder that can swing or fold or telescope out of the water when underway?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-03-2014
Old soul

Re: Admidship Ladder: Folding Dock Ladder

Hi Scott, I don't know your boat, but take a look at this option: Up-N-Out Marine Ladders - Boat Ladder Models

I have no affiliation with this company, other than being a very satisfied customer. What I really like about this ladder is that it stores out of the way, is very solid, and can also be released from the water. This makes it both a general purpose ladder as well as one that is good for emergencies.

They are pricey, but well worth it.

P.S. I see you're in Michigan. These ladders are made by a small company in MN, so likely not that far away from you.
fred1diver likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-03-2014 Thread Starter

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I have looked at the Up-N-Out. I am sure it is a very nice ladder. I am not so sure that I can afford a very nice ladder. Maybe I will bite the bullet and buy the best tool for the job.

Scott.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-03-2014

Not sure I like the dock edge design. It looks like it will be sticking up in the air about 4 feet when not deployed. It also sticks out almost 4 inches past your rails which could be a problem when docking. Those handrails may inhibit access to your side deck.

I think you're going to need 4 steps on your ladder in order to get one well below the water's surface. The telescoping ladders that west marine and others sell can be had for less than $150.00. Probably less than $100.00 on ebay. When they are folded up they are only about 12 inches tall.

I don't have one, but I see them on a lot of boats in my marina.

I sure don't know it all. Hope this helps. A picture of your boat might help others help you.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-03-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I could see the advantage to the Dock Edge, in that it only puts stress on the deck where it is bolted down. And the downside, that it would create a lot of clutter or need stowage someplace.

But the Up-n-Out doesn't seem all that expensive for the amount of stainless they have in it. I'd like to meet one at a boat show and see just how rickety it is or isn't, and consider that without some grab rails at the top, it probably will stress the two adjacent stanchions unless their bases are reinforced. Seems like it might be a very nice idea all in all.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-03-2014
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthCoast View Post
I have looked at the Up-N-Out. I am sure it is a very nice ladder. I am not so sure that I can afford a very nice ladder. Maybe I will bite the bullet and buy the best tool for the job.
Yes, they aren't as cheap as most of the other options. But having looked long and hard at all the others out there, I came to the conclusion it was well worth the price. We've used it for a few years now, and it has exceeded expectations. For our boat (a double-ender) it seems to be the perfect solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
But the Up-n-Out doesn't seem all that expensive for the amount of stainless they have in it. I'd like to meet one at a boat show and see just how rickety it is or isn't, and consider that without some grab rails at the top, it probably will stress the two adjacent stanchions unless their bases are reinforced. Seems like it might be a very nice idea all in all.
Not rickety at all HS, and very solid. It does flex, but the way it is engineered makes it very stable when in use. The guy makes it with various mounts. Ours is attached to the jib T-track, but it can be affixed directly on the deck as well. The stanchions only hold it in place when folded up.

Again, not affiliated, but I do love it when I find a smart piece of equipment,

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-03-2014
Master Mariner

Ladders with bars instead of steps are a lot harder on one's feet, and perhaps, for the less nimble, a bit harder to climb.
Every boating consignment shop I've visited has at least a few used proper boarding ladders at a reduced price.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 19 Old 02-04-2014
Sailor

We bought a folding boarding ladder for Mandolin last year from West Marine. It is removable (we store it in a bunk when sailing). We have installed 2 slotted attachment fixtures at both gates so we could put the ladder on either side of the boat. The best thing is that it doesn't block the gates when we are rafted up or at a marina. They come in different lengths so you can get the one that fits, making sure you have 2 rungs under water. The treads are flat so they don't hurt your feet. We are very pleased with this product.

Tod

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #9 of 19 Old 02-04-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthCoast View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Scott.
In this case, the best tool is the one that SWMBO finds satisfactory.

Price is no object in cases like that.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-04-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

We have a folding stainless steel swim ladder from West Marine on the stern. Amidships we have a Taylor ladder that we've had for years. The Taylor clips on stainless steel locking clips on the deck, and we have clips on both the port and starboard sides so we can use the ladder on either side. It unlocks out of the clips and then folds flat for storage in a locker in the cockpit.

Not a real good picture of it, but it's the only one I got and I wasn't really taking a photo of the ladder at the time. Not sure if they make those Taylor ladders anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Drafts-17167.jpeg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in