are these blisters - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 03-28-2014

Re: are these blisters

On my boat your blistering would correspond to a bronze casting/machining, that forms and supports the gudgeon. It is through-bolted into the fibreglass.

Suggest getting to work with a sander and seeing what's underneath!

These pics might be of interest. (scroll down)

Solving Rudder Cracks

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 03-28-2014
Dirt Free

Hard to believe that gudgeon is anything but bronze. The bronze has likely been faired over with some kind of putty that has absorbed water and is blistering. Highly unlikely it is anything more serious than poor quality fairing compound soaking up some water.

The rust stains running down from the pintle/rudder stock which is probably stainless steel are a bigger concern. What kind of boat ? Did this boat sit for a long time in water without moving ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 03-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-28-2014 Thread Starter

1972 Tartan 30. Has not sat at all as far as I know. Not at least in the last 8years for sure. Boat is in great shape for its age and I sailed her all year last year. This is just my first spring and I want to be on top of things.

Last edited by abrahamx; 03-29-2014 at 12:08 PM.

post #14 of 21 Old 03-29-2014 Thread Starter

any other insight into the rust running down the pindle. If its stainless? I doubt it would have iron looking rust? Is this corrosion that I should be highly concerned about or perhaps water running out of the wet rudder and picking up some gunk along the way that I may not have to be overly concerned about? Also, I was recomended to re paint with this ALUMINUM PAINT - Aluthane - MCU coating INFO PAGE

Anyone know what this red lead paint is that someone above mentioned.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-29-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Hard to believe that gudgeon is anything but bronze. The bronze has likely been faired over with some kind of putty that has absorbed water and is blistering. Highly unlikely it is anything more serious than poor quality fairing compound soaking up some water.

The rust stains running down from the pintle/rudder stock which is probably stainless steel are a bigger concern. What kind of boat ? Did this boat sit for a long time in water without moving ?
Not sure what a long time would be but the previous owner was well into his 80's and I am told they did not use the boat alot the last few years. It is in MI so never is in the water for more than 6 months at a time. It is possible it sat that long but I believe he used it at least a couple time in the season.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-29-2014
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Not sure what a long time would be but the previous owner was well into his 80's and I am told they did not use the boat alot the last few years. It is in MI so never is in the water for more than 6 months at a time. It is possible it sat that long but I believe he used it at least a couple time in the season.
First of all you asked about "aluminum paint". Do not use this if it actually has aluminum in it as it will cause a galvanic reaction with the bronze gudgeon. It won't hurt the bronze but the paint will fail quickly.

The reason I asked about how long the boat had sat .... The rudder stock being stainless steel will corrode in the absence of oxygen. I have seen stainless steel shafts break when boats have sat is water for some years without moving (in Lake Ontario). The rust stains may be from the rudder stock. The photo below shows a stainless shaft that looks acceptable from the outside while the inside looks like a Cadbury Crunchie.
Attached Thumbnails
12 18.jpg  

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-29-2014
Dirt Free

Sorry wrong photo. Here is a close up of the break.
Attached Thumbnails
12 19.JPE  
christian.hess likes this.

post #18 of 21 Old 04-05-2014 Thread Starter

ok, I poked around a tad and I found that the vc17 rubbed right off with a wire brush. the light blue/grey underneath is the epoxy sealer. Not sure what was used. Right under that is a copper/bronze color. Just looks like some of the sealer was blistering. Should I remove all of it and re seal or just clean up the blisters well and go back over it?
post #19 of 21 Old 04-05-2014 Thread Starter

forgot to add pics.

I know I have to clean it up a lot more than that. I just thought I get a response before I went further.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-05-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Like I said

scrape, sand, prime and anti foul.

Repeat next year.
christian.hess likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in