PFD with harness - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 04-03-2014 Thread Starter

PFD with harness

I typically sail solo most of the time and am thinking about getting an automatic PFD with built in harness. Currently use an automatic PFD most of the time but do not have a harness. Was looking at a Mustang brand but thinking I remember reading that there was a problem with them. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-03-2014

Re: PFD with harness

Mustang HIT with harness is one of the best ones out there:

Mustang HIT Inflatable Life Jacket / PFD

I haven't heard of problems with Mustang. There have been some concerns expressed about the design of the Spinlock Deckvest:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ml#post1288169

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ml#post1387161
rikhall likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Boredop (04-03-2014)
post #3 of 39 Old 04-03-2014
Sailor

I'm not aware of a problem with Mustang PFDs. That's what I have (the hydrostatic one) and it has served me well, comfortable to wear, etc.

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old 04-03-2014

Go to shop put different ones on and wear them as long as sales people let you. Like shoes it will be on you for awhile. Had one with the salt pellet trigger go off once. Surprised me as I was still on the boat. Buy the ones with hydrostatic triggers. Worth the extra money.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 39 Old 04-03-2014
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

H & E-

Yes, an inflatable PFD with integrated harness is the way to go.

I strongly urge you to make or purchase a crotch or thigh straps to wear with it. My research of late, indicates that inflatables can rise off of the wearer's head, and do not maintain the wearer in the proper position without a crotch strap.

See this recent video: MOB in the Pacific

Also, I believe that crew members of Low Speed Chase from last year's Farallones race were found separated from their PFD's. The conclusion was a lack of crotch straps allowed the PFDs to slip off of unconscious wearers.

As a fellow singlehander, I advise you to also develop a jackline and tether solution for your boat (thus, the purpose of the harness).

Sorry to go all "nanny-state" on you, shipmate. Just tryina' keep you on da boat.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #6 of 39 Old 04-03-2014
old guy :)

We have five Mustang PFDs. Two with harnesses, two we wear 90% of the time and one guest one.

We trust our lives to Mustang.

(And, I love their corporate "tag line"

We save lives for a living.

Rik

Irwin Citation 34
Mystery
post #7 of 39 Old 04-03-2014
Sailor

Interesting point about crotch strap. Sounds right. How does the belt slip over the shoulders? I can see it not holding the unconscious cob in a bad position.

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #8 of 39 Old 04-03-2014

As pointed out, a crotch strap is mandatory on an inflatable, in part to prevent the bladder from riding over your head. This is a controversial issue at the moment, but I do believe that crotch straps are mandatory.

As an integrated harness (such as the Spinlock that we use), it wouldn't be a harness at all without the crotch straps in place, would it. It would just be a life jacket with a D ring.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 39 Old 04-03-2014

Problem is we blew the money on crotch straps but can't get anyone to wear them day to day. Too much a pia putting on/ off watch by watch. Most don't like harness on when down below for head break, fix a snack etc. most don't like strap on when moving about.
This is something that needs a serious redesign. Harness should have netting on back. Spread force of a fall and be more comfy. Should have leads to separate thigh straps so jewels not pinched moving about. Tender should come off back near neck so don't drown if dragged. Double( long/ short) harness should clip to that short webbing about a foot down so you can disengage without reaching behind neck.
This is a peeve of mine Sorry
People die because they don't have harnesses. People die because they do . WTF

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 39 Old 04-03-2014

I don't find the spinlock crotch straps to be very difficult, nor unusually uncomfortable. Sure, a pair of shorts and t-shirt are more comfy. The thigh straps each have a quick release buckle, which I've already set to my size, so on/off is pretty easy.

There is a lot more to deck safety than just the harness. The tether and jackline are equally critical. There should be little to no risk that you could get far enough overboard to be dragged.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in