SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Wooden rudder n dagger board (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/131914-wooden-rudder-n-dagger-board.html)

Ei Leen 04-03-2014 04:19 PM

Wooden rudder n dagger board

I just bought an Alcort Sunfish with wooden rudder and dagger board. There are a couple small spots where the wood is exposed. Is is a no-no to use them before they get refinished? The finish is good otherwise so is it possible to coat the bare spots until I can do the entire thing? Also, is it necessary to refinish? Can I just give it a light sanding and coat over what is there already?

Classic30 04-03-2014 08:09 PM

Re: Wooden rudder n dagger board

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ei Leen (Post 1699898)
I just bought an Alcort Sunfish with wooden rudder and dagger board. There are a couple small spots where the wood is exposed. Is is a no-no to use them before they get refinished? The finish is good otherwise so is it possible to coat the bare spots until I can do the entire thing? Also, is it necessary to refinish? Can I just give it a light sanding and coat over what is there already?

Ei Leen, it doesn't sound serious to me. Just give it a light sand and coat over what is there already and you're good to go.

Ei Leen 04-04-2014 10:44 AM

Ok to use polyurethane on those spots?

CalebD 04-04-2014 02:17 PM

The center board & rudder are probably varnished now. If that is so then it would probably be best to coat the bare spots with a spar varnish rather than polyurathane. Varnish is the traditional finish over those Mahogany wood pieces.
Having said that, I'm sure that a good polyurathane coating would serve to protect the wood.
Congrats on your Sunfish; great learning platform.

Barquito 04-04-2014 04:24 PM

If you sand it down a bit, then add 6 layers of spar varnish, starting with 50/50 mineral spirit thinned, then 75/25 mineral spirit thinned, then full strength. Next, and subsequent years just sand lightly and add only one or two layers.

Ei Leen 04-04-2014 05:55 PM

I get that varnish would be best. Its just that racing starts this Sunday. We race for two weekends and then there's 3 or 4 weeks we can't race. I was hoping for a quick temporary fix so I can use it right away

christian.hess 04-04-2014 06:08 PM

quickest way is this:

sand
lay one or two strips of glass for protection...with epoxy, sand, smooth, more epoxy and a couple of coats of varnish

you said quick and thats quick...the layer of glass helps figh the scuffing rudders and daggerboards suffer and honestly for now you can even bypass the varnish coats uf you keep them covered

that or simply varnish..

the epoxy is great cause it resists scuffing better...you can also bypass the glass if you want and go thickened epoxy, sand, more epoxy and so on

varnish is a slow process at least to do it well

fast curing epoxy will get you in the water andyou can deal with cosmetics later

microballoons are great for fairing...btw

CalebD 04-04-2014 06:12 PM

You can use both of them without putting any coating on the bare spots.
It would be a good idea to rinse them off in fresh water (assuming salt water) after using them and allow them to dry.

I volunteer at a youth sailing program that has 20 Sunfish for the teens to use. Many of the dagger boards & rudders have some bare spots but we use them anyway. Mahogany is a pretty tough wood if cared for.
Another option is to wipe your bare spots with an oil, like Teak oil, Tung oil etc. This will protect the bare spots from water ingress to a degree.
Then when you have a few weeks you can re-finish at your leisure.

Ei Leen 04-04-2014 07:14 PM

Thanks Caleb. That's perfect!