whether or not to glass a wooden rudder - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-22-2014 Thread Starter

whether or not to glass a wooden rudder

I have a transom-hung wooden rudder. It is basically a 6 foot long slab of teak or mahogany that has weathered varnish above the waterline and chipping bottom paint below. I scraped away some of the bottom paint and found what looks like old varnish underneath.

Even though the boat will mostly live on the trailer and be in the water for only a week or two at a time, I am considering wrapping the rudder below the waterline in glass and epoxy and fairing it. Or is that a bad idea, letting any water that might get into the bottom part of the rudder just stay there a cause rot? Am I better off just varnishing the whole thing? Is it better to glass it all? If I fair with teak flour and epoxy, then glass with clear epoxy and project with a few coats of varnish, it would still look wooden and I might see any trouble before it gets too bad. Is that a good plan or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-22-2014

Re: whether or not to glass a wooden rudder

the only issue with wooden rudders out on the dry is they warp out if shape when out of water for too long

if you dismount it you are asking for trouble as its common for the pintles to not align well...

since you are out of the water I see no benefit at all in glassing the rudder when the rest of the boat is still wood

you can fix wooden rudders quite easily and fair and epoxy them instead of glass...

just a thought

I had a nice long rudder like that on my old h28

simple to live with did nothing to it even after being on the hard for close to a month once

the rudder did warp and after a week or so back in water it went straight again...and so did the planks stop leaking

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-22-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Re: whether or not to glass a wooden rudder

I'd suggest:
1. Use a heat gun and scraper to remove the old paint/varnish
2. Sand back using a random orbital and 80 grit going to 120 grit if the surface is fair. If not, fair at will using your teak flour/epoxy mix.
3. At least one coat of two-pack CPES - note: this will cause any one-pack varnish you missed to bubble and flake off, in which case go back to 2 and repeat.
4. A light sand using 120grit followed by several coats of varnish (or paint) as you prefer.

As Christian points out: Don't glass it - bad idea.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 04-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in