Rebed lower gudgen - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gladrags1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-23-2014 Thread Starter
Frozen Member

Rebed lower gudgen

Hi all! Doing the spring cleaning fun on our new boat and found some rusted bolts on the lower rudder gudgeon so off they came along with the SS bracket. I replaced the bolts at WM along with the nuts and washers, but I was wondering what to use for sealant/adhesive.

I have 5200 and never use the stuff but this seems like it might be the right project for it. What would you all use? Below the water line use the 5200 or something else. What about the upper? I am going to do it as well but it is well over the water line. Use another product?

I have just been scared off using 5200 on most anything but this may be the project to cut the tube on. Also, does it really need to be in the 50F + range for a week to cure? I may not have that in July. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-23-2014
Sailor

Re: Rebed lower gudgen

I wouldn't use 5200 as you would never get the bolt out if you needed to in the future. Use Boatlife caulk. It will remain flexible and pliable.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlaskaMC likes this.

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-23-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

this is the only use for 5200 that i can find, as it works forever. is a glue not a bedding compound, and if there is any way for water to ingress, it will. use 5200 and have fun. just dont get it in your hair or on your paws..use gloves and a do rag.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #4 of 6 Old 04-23-2014 Thread Starter
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
I wouldn't use 5200 as you would never get the bolt out if you needed to in the future. Use Boatlife caulk. It will remain flexible and pliable.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting! I just looked up the LifeCauk Sealant and it does seem to be for this kind of application. Never used it before. What does it "work" like? Silicon?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2014 Thread Starter
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this is the only use for 5200 that i can find, as it works forever. is a glue not a bedding compound, and if there is any way for water to ingress, it will. use 5200 and have fun. just dont get it in your hair or on your paws..use gloves and a do rag.....
This is what I was thinking. I have never had a project that I wanted to dare use the stuff on but this seems like what it was designed to be used with. I would think I want to see this go another 40 years without being removed. The bolt I removed has head maker markings that match every other one on the boat so I assume they are original. At least I have never seen the marking on SS before.

Sounds like one could glue one's self to one's boat with the stuff. I will be careful!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2014
Barquito

Sikaflex 291, or whatever is like that stuff. The gudgeon is bolted to the boat, so you don't need to glue it on. You just need to seal it.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in