sliding hatch or hinged hatch? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-19-2014 Thread Starter

sliding hatch or hinged hatch?

ahoy mateys! yet another post to put the sailnet crew at odds with each other. lol.

my boat has a companionway hatch that has hinges and opens just like the forward hatch. however, i have noticed that the pics of these boats that you see, on line, show that many get converted to sliding hatches.

so, what are your opinions? hinged hatch or sliding hatch? which is best? what are the benefits and bad points of each style? which is more seaworthy? that be the question i put before ye, me jollys. lol.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-20-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Re: sliding hatch or hinged hatch?

IIRC, sliding or lift-up hinged has little to do with seaworthiness and a lot to do with being able to open the hatch without it being fouled by the boom.

If you have a lift-up companionway hatch I guess it depends on the build as to what breaks first during an accidental gybe: (a) the boom, (b) the hatch and/or (c) the arm of the person who just happened to be opening the hatch at the time.. The only other alternative with a lift-up hatch is to locate the boom so far up the mast as to lose heaps of effective sail area for no valid reason.

That's all there is to it, really.
Atlas likes this.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 05-20-2014 at 01:51 AM.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-20-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
IIRC, sliding or lift-up hinged has little to do with seaworthiness and a lot to do with being able to open the hatch without it being fouled by the boom.

If you have a lift-up companionway hatch I guess it depends on the build as to what breaks first during an accidental gybe: (a) the boom, (b) the hatch and/or (c) the arm of the person who just happened to be opening the hatch at the time.. The only other alternative with a lift-up hatch is to locate the boom so far up the mast as to lose heaps of effective sail area for no valid reason.

That's all there is to it, really.
really? ok. thanks for the answer. the boom on my cal is pretty high. even lowered to the bottom of the track, 18" below where it's supposed to be set, it still clears the hatch by a good bit.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-20-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
really? ok. thanks for the answer. the boom on my cal is pretty high. even lowered to the bottom of the track, 18" below where it's supposed to be set, it still clears the hatch by a good bit.
Then, with a sliding hatch, maybe it could be even lower.

Do you race at all? If not, sliding or hinged probably doesn't matter.

-
post #5 of 23 Old 05-20-2014

If the boom currently clears the hinged hatch, this really doesn't matter a whole lot. In a refit, this would be the last modification I would spend time and/or money on.

That said, hinges can bend. If I was starting from scratch, I would install a slider. I would not bother to retrofit. When I see stuff like this being done, I usually think the owner likes boat projects more than sailing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-20-2014 Thread Starter

no. i have no intention to race. just cruise.

i am not planning on a conversion. the hatch was missing when i got the boat....well, most of it was missing. i made a new one to replace the old. i don't know if you remember my boat but it has a 'convertable' pop top. 5' headroom when down. 6.5' when up. i don't need more than 5'8" since i am 5'7" but i get tired of stooping for the 5' roof.

since the weather has been nice, i have been propping the pop top up 8" to see how it would be. i say propping because the pop top hardware is missing. anyhow, it's great to be able to stand up. it's even easier going below, with the top up 8". and it doesn't look bad, either. the full 6.5" extension wouldn't look good. i've seen pics of the tops of these popped. anyhow, the opening created by lifting the top that 8" is perfectly in line of eyesight and it gives great ventilation to the boat.

i was already planning on doing a permanent coach roof before but, now that i have been popping the top that 8" i am positive i am doing it. and i'm going to put portlights in it, also some actual opening portholes for ventilation.

i was just going to replicate the pop top's hatch opening, when i make the coach roof, and use the hatch i already made but, i wanted to make sure it wouldn't be better to build it with a sliding hatch before i actually do it rather than discover it after it's done. measure twice and cut once.

if i was just planning to daysail or race, i'd let the pop top alone but, i intend on cruising and sleeping on the boat. that 5' headroom is already a pain in the back and i've only had to deal with it while working on the boat. it'll only be a bigger pain when your trying to actually live on it...even for just a weekend.

1971 Cal 27

post #7 of 23 Old 05-20-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
since the weather has been nice, i have been propping the pop top up 8" to see how it would be. i say propping because the pop top hardware is missing. anyhow, it's great to be able to stand up. it's even easier going below, with the top up 8". and it doesn't look bad, either. the full 6.5" extension wouldn't look good. i've seen pics of the tops of these popped. anyhow, the opening created by lifting the top that 8" is perfectly in line of eyesight and it gives great ventilation to the boat.

i was already planning on doing a permanent coach roof before but, now that i have been popping the top that 8" i am positive i am doing it. and i'm going to put portlights in it, also some actual opening portholes for ventilation.

i was just going to replicate the pop top's hatch opening, when i make the coach roof, and use the hatch i already made but, i wanted to make sure it wouldn't be better to build it with a sliding hatch before i actually do it rather than discover it after it's done. measure twice and cut once.

if i was just planning to daysail or race, i'd let the pop top alone but, i intend on cruising and sleeping on the boat. that 5' headroom is already a pain in the back and i've only had to deal with it while working on the boat. it'll only be a bigger pain when your trying to actually live on it...even for just a weekend.
A pop-top is a great idea, used widely on many trailer-sailers - too many to mention. Most use conventional caravan hardware.

It sounds like one would benefit your boat hugely, but if you're going to make a pop-top, it's easiest to fit some kind of sliding hatch because one other disadvantage of a lift-up hatch we haven't mentioned yet (that becomes especially apparent with a pop-top) is the danger of someone dropping the hatch shut on someone's fingers.. and collapsing the pop-top at the same time. Not a good look.

-
post #8 of 23 Old 05-21-2014

Why rebuild a permanent coach roof, if all you need is hardware to keep the pop top up?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-21-2014

You don't have to make a choice. Mine has both. It has hinged hatches, with plexiglass windows for port or anchor. It makes it easy to open and shut the hatch as you go in and out.

At sea, you lift those doors off their hinges and store them below and use the hatch boards, that are three boards that slide in horizontally, like most sailboats.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #10 of 23 Old 05-21-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
A pop-top is a great idea, used widely on many trailer-sailers - too many to mention. Most use conventional caravan hardware.

It sounds like one would benefit your boat hugely, but if you're going to make a pop-top, it's easiest to fit some kind of sliding hatch because one other disadvantage of a lift-up hatch we haven't mentioned yet (that becomes especially apparent with a pop-top) is the danger of someone dropping the hatch shut on someone's fingers.. and collapsing the pop-top at the same time. Not a good look.
i'm not making a pop top. it has one and i want to make a permanet coach roof so i always have enough headroom.

1971 Cal 27

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in