Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-05-2014

Re: Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation

Seems they are a yard with average skills and customer service. Incompetent and blame you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-05-2014 Thread Starter

Maine Sail

Shaft and coupling should be OK. I went directly to the machine shop that does most of the local shafts and had a new shaft made and the coupling fitted and faced.

I'll install the new PSS myself, as per your tutorial.

The prop installation to the loose shaft is the only thing I didn't watch. The shaft was sitting in the stern tube without the coupling so they couldn't have damaged the transmission coupling or bearings.

Of course I would have been blissfully ignorant and accepted their explanations if I hadn't read your tutorials, so this stress is all your fault.
davidpm likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-05-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsey View Post
So I came back to the boat yard to find the technician pounding in my new cutless bearing with a sledge hammer on the bare face of the bearing. I got a little perturbed since I had already asked his boss if they had a puller to install it with. He assured me they did, but I guess I should have asked if they would use it.
What, if any, problems should I look for.
Or am I over reacting since he says "this is how they always do it".
Nope use of a sledge hammer on a P bracket is bad practice.

1 Find a new yard for next year.

2 Take some pictures to document the bad practice.

3 Plan how to minimize any further bad practice.
nramsey likes this.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-05-2014

This kind of stuff boils my blood.

The amount of half a**ed crap I've found boatyards doing is absolutely astonishing. I've just come to the conclusion that you either have to watch over their shoulder or do the work yourself, otherwise you can't depend on most yards to do the work correctly. For example, I just recently found that the electrician we paid $350 to rewire our battery bank left one battery disconnected, with the positive lead resting on the fuel tank.

I've almost given up on boat ownership over the astonishing level of CRAP I've had to deal with from yards and people doing work. With two exceptions, I have to do all the work myself because no one else will do it even halfway right. I don't want to be offshore to find that my batteries are dead because half the bank isn't connected. I used to enjoy it, but it's becoming a burden having to do everything myself, something I really don't have enough time to do these days.

If it'll make you feel better, our nightmare is currently a > $5k rudder re-rebuild. The prior owner had the rudder rebuilt because it was wet, the guy foamed the rudder in with no taper on the edge (it looked like a barn door) and the rudder extended an inch below the keel (this is on a full keel boat w/ attached rudder). That can be dealt with, the worst part? When we pulled it out, we found that the rudder shaft had been CUT and step welded from 1 1/2'' down to 1'' and BENT(!!!) in the process! Oops. Oh, to fix the fact the rudder wouldn't fit into the rudder tube on the boat, he cut the rudder tube and replaced it with a stuffing box that he installed crooked. You can barely comprehend the absolute nightmare this has become, especially since we were supposed to move aboard 3 weeks ago. The tube was also corroded and filled with water, corroding from the inside out.

The moral of the story: Do it yourself. If you don't, it'll end up being done poorly and you may not find out until it's too late. I think boat yards progressively get away with smaller and smaller increments of half-a**ery until they feel like they can get away with anything just to get the job done.
christian.hess likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinook For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (07-05-2014), nramsey (07-05-2014)
post #15 of 21 Old 07-05-2014

BINGO...this applies worldwide...in many places...you either look over their shoulder or do it yourself...

very very few places attain a level of workmanship that is better than you on your time...

those that are, you will know because they charge good money for those jobs, and even then go by references NOT by price or reputation...

it boils my blood too when people get quoted 2k for a prop and shaft installation and maybe a badly done alignment and on top of that do stuff like sledge hammer a strut.

that and having $90 workers who get paid 10 bucks and hour do expensive work that requires a high skill level and knowledge.

anywhoo

carry on

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-05-2014

Blood boiling time?......... I have stories!

I will start by adding the phenomenon that the less the yard tard knows, the longer they take to do it incorrectly and you pay even more.

I once asked the marina manager how he felt if two of his guys were assigned to the same job but took different amounts of time. Didn't phase him, he charges whatever time they take. Asking him for an estimate to do a job is like listening to one of the pharmaceutical advertisement side effect disclaimers. I will say, when they do work for me, I get many of those symptoms.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-05-2014

jajajaja

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
post #18 of 21 Old 07-05-2014

Not in defense of these maintenance practices, but there are times where a BFH (big fxxxxx Hammer) moving at slow speeds is the softest way to install something.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-06-2014
Master Mariner

I used to get paid quite handsomely to oversee the yard work on a fleet of tugs at a commercial shipyard. This kind of thing does not just happen in yachting. Everything from adding nonexistent personnel to charging for work never done; it's all in the realm of possibility at a yard of any sort. At the yard where the PO had work done on my boat, they couldn't align the engine because the shaft brake disc was too big, so they just did nothing; for years! But they charged the PO time and time again for shaft alignment, because the PO kept insisting that the shaft needed alignment. Funny thing, though. The boat had a MaxProp. The shaft brake was a bit redundant anyway, don't you think?
A knowledgeable and reliable yard is a gem, getting harder and harder to find. It is very important to be a knowledgeable owner, these days.
mitiempo and christian.hess like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #20 of 21 Old 07-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsey View Post
So I came back to the boat yard to find the technician pounding in my new cutless bearing with a sledge hammer on the bare face of the bearing. I got a little perturbed since I had already asked his boss if they had a puller to install it with. He assured me they did, but I guess I should have asked if they would use it.
What, if any, problems should I look for.
Or am I over reacting since he says "this is how they always do it".
There is no excuse for pounding on the strut with a sledge hammer! Aside from the mushroomed and distorted bearing sleeve, think of the stress he was putting on the strut itself! You could easily knock the strut out of alignment with one angled blow, and what if you crack the fiberglass? It's just not meant to withstand loads in that direction! Any good mechanic should be able to figure out how to press the bearing in with nothing more than a length of reddi rod, some washers and a couple of nuts! No good mechanic would resort to a sledge hammer in that situation!

As someone who lives in the same neighborhood as this hack, I would like to know what company employs him so I can avoid them if I am ever in need of such services. I do most of my own work on my boat but you never know when I might need a bit of help with something, and I don't want him anywhere near my boat!
mitiempo likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in