SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/151410-cutless-bearing-sledge-hammer-installation.html)

nramsey 07-04-2014 02:55 PM

Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation

So I came back to the boat yard to find the technician pounding in my new cutless bearing with a sledge hammer on the bare face of the bearing. I got a little perturbed since I had already asked his boss if they had a puller to install it with. He assured me they did, but I guess I should have asked if they would use it.
What, if any, problems should I look for.
Or am I over reacting since he says "this is how they always do it".

eherlihy 07-04-2014 03:27 PM

Re: Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation

I would be ripping mad at the yard, and have them cease all work on the boat immediately (and not pay them a dime).

Assuming that you have a strut, the bearing should be press fit into the strut. It actually slips in rather easily, once you heat the strut, and back out any set screws, with a C clamp.

The end of the bearing, where gorilla-boy was hammering, is probably bent. Hopefully, the strut hasn't been damaged too.

christian.hess 07-04-2014 03:28 PM

did they use wood block?assuming in keel, if not(strut) absolutely reject it! its also very possible the strut is damaged....

ive used a wood block but on a full keeler

dont accept dumbass work! demand the work dine right or cancel RIGHT NOW!

eherlihy 07-04-2014 03:30 PM

I did the whole driveline over a couple of years ago, and documented it here; https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...-overhaul.html

deniseO30 07-04-2014 04:14 PM

Oh... My... Gawd.... If they used a hammer on the cutless .. what if they did the same putting the shaft back in? Time for a new transmission! Hell they may even used a hammer to pull it!

christian.hess 07-04-2014 04:15 PM

last cutlass I did was in keel, some grease tap tap with a block of wood cleaned up and set screw and that was it...seoze the wire call it a day

if someone used a sledge hammer on a strut though

wtf????????????????

idiots

Capt Len 07-04-2014 04:41 PM

Name the yard, We could all call and have a chat.

davidpm 07-04-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nramsey (Post 1987042)
So I came back to the boat yard to find the technician pounding in my new cutless bearing with a sledge hammer on the bare face of the bearing.

"technician" ?

nramsey 07-05-2014 12:48 AM

I hesitate to name the business as I haven't negotiated the bill (It's in North Vancouver). To be totally honest, I found a greasy piece of 2x4 with 3 or 4 impact marks. I guess when I arrived he'd given up using the board because he certainly wasn't holding it for the last half a dozen swings. The strut appears OK and the bearing is a little mushed but the bronze clears the shaft, so I guess its OK. He made a few scores in the bore of the strut with a sawzall, when he took it out, but they weren't deep.
I've asked for a bill to date for removing the prop shaft and replacing the cutless bearing. They were hired to replace the PSS seal but couldn't get the retaining screws out of the ring. They cut the shaft in 3 to remove it because the shaft won't clear the rudder. That's understandable but anyone working professionally on boats should know how to drill stainless.
Then he spent some time trying to remove the radial drive wheel through pin. He twisted the head off and didn't agree that an impact driver would have had a better chance of breaking it loose.
After seeing that he didn't know enough to use cutting oil and low speed to drill stainless, I bought an angle drill and drilled it out myself. Awkward angle and location meant it took an old fart like me quite a while.
He kept trying to figure out how to put the new shaft in without dropping the rudder out all the way. Looking at it, it was obvious he was wasting time so I suggested lifting the boat to remove it. That was done and the new shaft went in far enough to drop the boat back down. He even had trouble pushing the shaft in because he didn't lubricate the bearing. After he stomped off I put some liquid hand soap on it and pushed the shaft the rest of the way in.
I'll put the new seal in tomorrow and reassemble the steering on Sunday so they won't p!ss me off any more.

Maine Sail 07-05-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nramsey (Post 1987977)
I hesitate to name the business as I haven't negotiated the bill (It's in North Vancouver). To be totally honest, I found a greasy piece of 2x4 with 3 or 4 impact marks. I guess when I arrived he'd given up using the board because he certainly wasn't holding it for the last half a dozen swings. The strut appears OK and the bearing is a little mushed but the bronze clears the shaft, so I guess its OK. He made a few scores in the bore of the strut with a sawzall, when he took it out, but they weren't deep.
I've asked for a bill to date for removing the prop shaft and replacing the cutless bearing. They were hired to replace the PSS seal but couldn't get the retaining screws out of the ring. They cut the shaft in 3 to remove it because the shaft won't clear the rudder. That's understandable but anyone working professionally on boats should know how to drill stainless.
Then he spent some time trying to remove the radial drive wheel through pin. He twisted the head off and didn't agree that an impact driver would have had a better chance of breaking it loose.
After seeing that he didn't know enough to use cutting oil and low speed to drill stainless, I bought an angle drill and drilled it out myself. Awkward angle and location meant it took an old fart like me quite a while.
He kept trying to figure out how to put the new shaft in without dropping the rudder out all the way. Looking at it, it was obvious he was wasting time so I suggested lifting the boat to remove it. That was done and the new shaft went in far enough to drop the boat back down. He even had trouble pushing the shaft in because he didn't lubricate the bearing. After he stomped off I put some liquid hand soap on it and pushed the shaft the rest of the way in.
I'll put the new seal in tomorrow and reassemble the steering on Sunday so they won't p!ss me off any more.

Time to find a new yard.. This guy is not qualified to peel an apple.....

Chances are you now also have:

*An improper fit for the coupling to the shaft = Dangerous and vibration causing

*Lack proper fitting and facing of shaft coupling = Dangerous and vibration causing

*Lack a properly fitted prop = Can also be dangerous and cause vibration

*Likely have PSS set screws that have been "snugged" more than once = Dangerous