Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-04-2014 Thread Starter

Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation

So I came back to the boat yard to find the technician pounding in my new cutless bearing with a sledge hammer on the bare face of the bearing. I got a little perturbed since I had already asked his boss if they had a puller to install it with. He assured me they did, but I guess I should have asked if they would use it.
What, if any, problems should I look for.
Or am I over reacting since he says "this is how they always do it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-04-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Cutless Bearing Sledge Hammer Installation

I would be ripping mad at the yard, and have them cease all work on the boat immediately (and not pay them a dime).

Assuming that you have a strut, the bearing should be press fit into the strut. It actually slips in rather easily, once you heat the strut, and back out any set screws, with a C clamp.

The end of the bearing, where gorilla-boy was hammering, is probably bent. Hopefully, the strut hasn't been damaged too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-07-2014 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-04-2014

did they use wood block?assuming in keel, if not(strut) absolutely reject it! its also very possible the strut is damaged....

ive used a wood block but on a full keeler

dont accept dumbass work! demand the work dine right or cancel RIGHT NOW!

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!

post #4 of 21 Old 07-04-2014
Learning the HARD way...

I did the whole driveline over a couple of years ago, and documented it here; https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...-overhaul.html

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Dave_E (07-05-2014)
post #5 of 21 Old 07-04-2014
One of None

Oh... My... Gawd.... If they used a hammer on the cutless .. what if they did the same putting the shaft back in? Time for a new transmission! Hell they may even used a hammer to pull it!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #6 of 21 Old 07-04-2014

last cutlass I did was in keel, some grease tap tap with a block of wood cleaned up and set screw and that was it...seoze the wire call it a day

if someone used a sledge hammer on a strut though

wtf????????????????

idiots

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
post #7 of 21 Old 07-04-2014

Name the yard, We could all call and have a chat.
christian.hess likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsey View Post
So I came back to the boat yard to find the technician pounding in my new cutless bearing with a sledge hammer on the bare face of the bearing.
"technician" ?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-05-2014 Thread Starter

I hesitate to name the business as I haven't negotiated the bill (It's in North Vancouver). To be totally honest, I found a greasy piece of 2x4 with 3 or 4 impact marks. I guess when I arrived he'd given up using the board because he certainly wasn't holding it for the last half a dozen swings. The strut appears OK and the bearing is a little mushed but the bronze clears the shaft, so I guess its OK. He made a few scores in the bore of the strut with a sawzall, when he took it out, but they weren't deep.
I've asked for a bill to date for removing the prop shaft and replacing the cutless bearing. They were hired to replace the PSS seal but couldn't get the retaining screws out of the ring. They cut the shaft in 3 to remove it because the shaft won't clear the rudder. That's understandable but anyone working professionally on boats should know how to drill stainless.
Then he spent some time trying to remove the radial drive wheel through pin. He twisted the head off and didn't agree that an impact driver would have had a better chance of breaking it loose.
After seeing that he didn't know enough to use cutting oil and low speed to drill stainless, I bought an angle drill and drilled it out myself. Awkward angle and location meant it took an old fart like me quite a while.
He kept trying to figure out how to put the new shaft in without dropping the rudder out all the way. Looking at it, it was obvious he was wasting time so I suggested lifting the boat to remove it. That was done and the new shaft went in far enough to drop the boat back down. He even had trouble pushing the shaft in because he didn't lubricate the bearing. After he stomped off I put some liquid hand soap on it and pushed the shaft the rest of the way in.
I'll put the new seal in tomorrow and reassemble the steering on Sunday so they won't p!ss me off any more.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-05-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsey View Post
I hesitate to name the business as I haven't negotiated the bill (It's in North Vancouver). To be totally honest, I found a greasy piece of 2x4 with 3 or 4 impact marks. I guess when I arrived he'd given up using the board because he certainly wasn't holding it for the last half a dozen swings. The strut appears OK and the bearing is a little mushed but the bronze clears the shaft, so I guess its OK. He made a few scores in the bore of the strut with a sawzall, when he took it out, but they weren't deep.
I've asked for a bill to date for removing the prop shaft and replacing the cutless bearing. They were hired to replace the PSS seal but couldn't get the retaining screws out of the ring. They cut the shaft in 3 to remove it because the shaft won't clear the rudder. That's understandable but anyone working professionally on boats should know how to drill stainless.
Then he spent some time trying to remove the radial drive wheel through pin. He twisted the head off and didn't agree that an impact driver would have had a better chance of breaking it loose.
After seeing that he didn't know enough to use cutting oil and low speed to drill stainless, I bought an angle drill and drilled it out myself. Awkward angle and location meant it took an old fart like me quite a while.
He kept trying to figure out how to put the new shaft in without dropping the rudder out all the way. Looking at it, it was obvious he was wasting time so I suggested lifting the boat to remove it. That was done and the new shaft went in far enough to drop the boat back down. He even had trouble pushing the shaft in because he didn't lubricate the bearing. After he stomped off I put some liquid hand soap on it and pushed the shaft the rest of the way in.
I'll put the new seal in tomorrow and reassemble the steering on Sunday so they won't p!ss me off any more.
Time to find a new yard.. This guy is not qualified to peel an apple.....

Chances are you now also have:

*An improper fit for the coupling to the shaft = Dangerous and vibration causing

*Lack proper fitting and facing of shaft coupling = Dangerous and vibration causing

*Lack a properly fitted prop = Can also be dangerous and cause vibration

*Likely have PSS set screws that have been "snugged" more than once = Dangerous
christian.hess likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
nramsey (07-05-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in