Last one for tonight. Tiller pilots - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2014 Thread Starter
first sailed january 2008

There's a thread going on the cape dory message boards I just found about the 28 and the st2000. They say "usually" it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2014

Re: Last one for tonight. Tiller pilots

I have one and use it for motoring or light wind sailing once my boat powers up it has to work too hard to keep up and my boat is well balanced.Im looking for a good wind vane for when im sailing.I usually single hand and find hand steering boring would much rather read a book or make a cup of tea.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2014
Hinterhoeller HR28

No Question that the Simrad TP30 (now the TP32) is much stronger and faster than the comparable Autohelm unit. I have had both, and agree 100% that
1- they are not waterproof.
2- You do want a bigger unit than they claim.
3- You must balance the boat for them to work well.
4- They will eventually burn/wear out; sooner than you expect.

Paul Van Voorhees
Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
USCG-licensed 100-ton 200-mile NearShore SaltWater Master
Owner, Van Voorhees Marine Services
Hamburg, NY USA

post #14 of 16 Old 09-09-2014

It's worth pointing out that no unit will overcome poor sail trim. If you trim your sails and just assume the autopilot will handle it, then you are gonna have issues. I usually trim our sails with my hand on the tiller, then, when the helm feels ok, set the autopilot.

Our Cape Dory 27 would balance to where you could tie off the tiller or, in some cases, leave the helm all together for a little while and it would retain the same course. Their boats are pretty easy to get balanced right and track really well.

If you keep in mind that the autohelm is basically a step up from tieing off the tiller, then you shouldn't have problems with it handling the weight of the boat under sail. If you just set it and forget it, you will probably have issues.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-09-2014

When considering a new tiller pilot look forward to your complete electronics package. You might like one that integrates with your wind instruments and chart plotter, then it could serve as a backup to the wind vane you will inevitably want for ocean passages.
John
post #16 of 16 Old 09-09-2014 Thread Starter
first sailed january 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
When considering a new tiller pilot look forward to your complete electronics package. You might like one that integrates with your wind instruments and chart plotter, then it could serve as a backup to the wind vane you will inevitably want for ocean passages.
John
Exactly true, and I have thought about that, it's another reason I would like to go Raymarine, because I hear it's easier for the devices to communicate if they are the same brand.

The Simrad is rated higher. I may be making the decision between the ST2000 and EV-100

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in