Campbell Sailor Prop vs. Max-Prop? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 09-30-2014 Thread Starter

Campbell Sailor Prop vs. Max-Prop?

I am in need of a new prop as I am moving to a slip (from a mooring) which will require a good reverse. I now have a Gori folding prop that is essentially worthless in reverse in terms of any directional control. I don't race but like that my boat performs well under sail. A new 3 blade Campbell is about 60% of the cost of a reconditioned 2 blade Max-Prop. I know the Max-Prop will be more efficient through the water under sail, but I don't know if there is a substantive difference between the two. Additionally, the Campbell can be fitted without a haulout. When I had a fixed conventional 2 blade prop and switched to the Gori, I picked up 1/2 knot at 6 knots of speed. I'm not crazy about giving that up.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-30-2014

Re: Campbell Sailor Prop vs. Max-Prop?

I don't have any experience with the Campbell, but FWIW my 3 blade Maxprop is great in reverse.
post #3 of 37 Old 09-30-2014

We've had both.. a Campbell on our last boat (3 blade) and a 3 blade Max on the current boat.

Same engine both instances but the Campbell was on a bigger (40 ft vs 35) boat.

While the Campbell was a big improvement on the 'floppy worn out folder' we had previously, the increase in drag was noticeable but reverse was pretty good/much better than folder.

Campbell to Max in reverse is night and day. The Max is a joy to use in reverse, smooth in forward (as was the Campbell) and clean under sail.

FWIW I think you'll be happy to have spent the extra money at the end of the day. The support/service of PYI is very good too.. but WestbyNorth is a great outfit to deal with as well..
jrd22 and T37Chef like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 37 Old 09-30-2014

I was going to mention this previously, but since you brought it up...

When I changed from my two-bladed fixed prop to a 3-bladed Max Prop, my backing performance didn't seem to change noticeably..

I still have prop walk, but it doesn't seem to be much different, and backing power was and is plenty..

(36 foot 14,000 lb boat)

Go figure

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #5 of 37 Old 09-30-2014

David.. on this boat we went from 2 blade fixed to 3 blade Max too.. I notice less propwalk and more immediate reverse way at idle/in gear than the old fixed prop. If you 'goose it' in reverse I'd agree there's not much difference - in both response and propwalk.

I'm happy, btw, that the Max has not eliminated propwalk as some claim.. I like it and use it often.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 37 Old 09-30-2014
Master Mariner

If you go with the Campbell, are you going to need a shaft brake, or are you going to let the prop freewheel?
I think the MaxProp is the way to go today. I tried several of the folding props over the years, and every one came up far short of a reliable propeller system. The mechanical feathering props are far superior in design and function.
I don't see why anyone would consider a fixed prop today, unless they had a motor vessel.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 37 Old 09-30-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
I am in need of a new prop as I am moving to a slip (from a mooring) which will require a good reverse. I now have a Gori folding prop that is essentially worthless in reverse in terms of any directional control. I don't race but like that my boat performs well under sail. A new 3 blade Campbell is about 60% of the cost of a reconditioned 2 blade Max-Prop. I know the Max-Prop will be more efficient through the water under sail, but I don't know if there is a substantive difference between the two. Additionally, the Campbell can be fitted without a haulout. When I had a fixed conventional 2 blade prop and switched to the Gori, I picked up 1/2 knot at 6 knots of speed. I'm not crazy about giving that up.

I had a Campbell Sailor 3-blade and now have a 3-blade feathering prop. I've also had a conventional (Michigan Sailor) 2-blade prop on the same boat.

The reduction in drag while sailing with the feathering prop is huge, especially in light air. For me it is the difference between sailing in 5-8 knots and motoring when cruising. The feathering prop allows me to do a lot more sailing in our light-air summers.

A CS 3-blade has about the same drag as a conventional 2-blade. The blade surface is a little smaller, but it isn't a huge reduction.

My feathering prop is a Featherstream (made by Darglow) and it was installed while the boat was in the water by a friend. I've also installed a Max-Prop, this was significantly less work because the blade is assembled first and then installed. The 3-blade Featherstream was only slightly more than a 2-blade Max-Prop, and considerably cheaper than a 3-blade MaxProp.

Reverse is very good on the Featherstream (just like a Max-Prop). My boat still has a little prop-walk, but it seems to be reduced from the Campbell Sailor. I can't say for sure because I also changed my rudder locks at the same point and have more rudder control now then when I had the CS.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.

Last edited by Alex W; 09-30-2014 at 03:19 PM.
post #8 of 37 Old 09-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I don't see why anyone would consider a fixed prop today, unless they had a motor vessel.
Expense. Vibration. I've never been able to get any non-fixed prop to run as smoothly as a fixed.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #9 of 37 Old 09-30-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Additionally, the Campbell can be fitted without a haulout.
FYI- no haulout needed to install a Max Prop. PYI can recommend qualified divers in your area.
post #10 of 37 Old 09-30-2014

Quote:

Regards,
Ron
Hey Ron,

Here's my take on the Campbell Sailer from a similar thread a few weeks ago...

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/2155105-post12.html

bottom line, it's a nice prop in flat water, and for maneuvering, but don't expect it to work wonders punching thru a significant chop, or into a stiff headwind... Of course, I wouldn't expect that from a 2-blade Max-Prop, either...

As for drag under sail, I can't really quantify that... Certainly hasn't seemed excessive to me, I had a lot of light air sailing this summer, yet still seemed to manage some pretty decent passage times...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-30-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in