Bilge pump cutoff delay? Narrow bilge - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 10-25-2014 Thread Starter

Bilge pump cutoff delay? Narrow bilge

I have a narrow bilge and as a result the float switch is unable to get to the very bottom of the bilge, although the bilge pump hose will. As a result, the bilge pump will pump more frequently unless I manually pump it once a day or so.

I need something to make the bilge pump run for 10-15 seconds after the float switch comes back down. What is the thing I need?

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-25-2014

Re: Bilge pump cutoff delay? Narrow bilge

I installed one of these this season. It's floatless and has worked well so far. The base you see in the pic is removable to fit in tighter spaces. It stands about 3" tall, but it is about half as wide and shorter than a traditional float switch.

It wires in just like a regular float switch. However, of the two wires coming off the switch, it matters which goes on the pump side and which on the battery side. If you screw it up, you just flip them around. Test it with water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N9RF1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 42 Old 10-25-2014
Weekend Sailor

The pump description states:
Quote:
Ultima Switch New digital technology uses the patented Mirus field effect detector cells producing mircoelectrical[sic] fields that detect disruptions caused by water and fluids. Detector cells are totally sealed are never in contact with the water, will not corrode and are not affected by oil or foreign debris.
I had a problem with ice in the bilge last winter. The float triggered, but due to icing, it never turned off. (Ran the battery down, changed the ph, and froze a battery, which in turn cracked the battery case.) I wonder if this pump-switch would treat ice as a solid and not engage the pump.

Anyone have any detailed knowledge about this device that they could share?

post #4 of 42 Old 10-25-2014 Thread Starter

That might work. Thanks. Still though, I think a delay switch of some kind might be better because even getting to the bottom of the bilge with the float doesn't keep the pump from going off every time there is a little but of water.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
post #5 of 42 Old 10-25-2014
Master Mariner

If I remember correctly the Rule auto bilge pump units do run a few seconds after the water is gone. These pumps cycle on and off without the need of water to activate them, but when water is present they will continue to run until the bilge is empty again.
As for a delay switch, I'd be very careful making your bilge pump system complicated. Anything added could become a liability if it failed.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 42 Old 10-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
Anyone have any detailed knowledge about this device that they could share?
I have one of those. I don't believe there is any delay before it shuts off. There are two small circles on the front of the box which is the location of the two sensors (capacitance I think). The pump will turn on when the level reaches the upper circle and shuts off when it goes below the lower one. The literature claims it will not activate with fuel, only with water. You can test it with your fingers on the circles, and the pump stops immediately when you remove your finger from the lower one.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
edguy3 (10-31-2014)
post #7 of 42 Old 10-25-2014
Living the dream

I have the johnson pump that runs for a few seconds every minute or so and keeps going if water is detected. I believe it senses motor load so it does such out as much water as it can. I've had one in my engine bilge where it is exposed to grease and aside from a clean every 6 months our so which is easily noticed as the pump runs for longer than it's few seconds, I'm happy with how it works.

Now, back on topic, if I wanted a delayed switch off, I believe there are relays available to do just that. They have an inbuilt adjustable delay timer. Not sure of how much they cost though. If it was me I'd swap for the small sensing pump and use the original as the secondary.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 42 Old 10-25-2014

How long of a delay do you want? The Water Witch has a 15 second delay (or around there). If you want something longer I don't have any suggestions.

Greg
post #9 of 42 Old 10-25-2014

Automotive supply shops have a delay for headlights.I bought a bunch years ago. Never used them for pumps.But cat's ass for vent fans in the head. Adjustable from a few seconds to 3 minutes.
post #10 of 42 Old 10-26-2014

I have a similar problem on my Tartan 27. The bilge is split by the centerboard trunk, making it very narrow. I've been looking for a pump that has a hose fitting for the uptake, figuring I'll mount it as low as I can, then have the hose reach to the bottom. I'd use this as a secondary pump, since I have an Rule with a float switch already mounted. I would manually pump out the last bit and have a second pump for when I really need it (and hopefully don't)

Has anyone seen an pump like this?

Thanks

Skywalker
hpeer likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in