Hood Stowaway inmast furler - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-30-2014 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Hood Stowaway inmast furler

I know a few of us have Hood Stowaway inmast furlers and I was wondering if anyone had worked on the manual crank mechanism on the front of the mast? Do you have or know where to get an exploded view of this mechanism? Thanks

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-30-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Hood Stowaway inmast furler

Sorry, no help.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-05-2014
Master, 100T with Sailing

Capta: I have a Hood Stoway owner's manual but it is on my boat which is now all wrapped up on the hard in Bristol, RI, 2,600 mi. from me. Do you have this manual? I recall drawings of how the manual crank system works in that manual. If not, I have used Peter Linwick at Florida Rigging and Hydraulics and found them very knowledgeable and with some stocked parts for the Hood Stoway. Eric Pearson, whom I believe is in Jamestown, RI, is also mentioned frequently as very helpful on these with service and parts. I am sorry that I cannot help more. I am back aboard in June.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-07-2014 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Neither my Pearson boat manual and the one downloaded from Pompanette has anything more than a passing description of the manual crank. I'll give Peter Linwick at Florida Rigging and Hydraulics a try, but I have been unable to contact Eric, as he apparently doesn't do email.
Thanks for the head's up, but I hope I won't have to wait until you get back to your boat to get to work on my manual furling.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 Old 11-08-2014
1982 Skye 51

capta,

I had my stoway rebuilt by eric pearson in RI 4 years ago. even before i decided to send it back to him, he was very forthcoming with helpful advice. a quick call to him might solve your problem. i just sent you a PM with his phone number. what exactly is wrong with your manual backup?

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

post #6 of 20 Old 03-31-2015

Did you every get a manual or anything? I called Eric but unfortunately he is in the hospital and won't be available to help for 6 weeks. I need to take mine apart and cannot figure out how to drop the bearings to replace them.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-31-2015 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasailer View Post
Did you every get a manual or anything? I called Eric but unfortunately he is in the hospital and won't be available to help for 6 weeks. I need to take mine apart and cannot figure out how to drop the bearings to replace them.
I did get a hand drawing that seems OK, and a drawing from a manual, but that is almost unintelligible, so I guess the answer is maybe. I won't be able to do the rebuild until our season is over, so I don't know for sure how much help they will be.
I am hoping DFletcher2 is getting closer to Bristol, RI, as I am anxiously awaiting a copy of his manual.
Let me know if I can help, but as I said, I haven't been in there yet.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-31-2015

Sweet - thanks Capta - I'll message you my contact info if you can forward what you have. I'll add my notes after I complete my teardown. I figured out how to take the majority of it apart but I'm stuck at this point from completing the job.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-31-2015

OK this is perfect - since I am new member in this post I cannot message anyone.
Capta: Can you please message me whatever you have????
Mahalo!!
post #10 of 20 Old 03-31-2015

I have a copy of the manual in good condition for the basic manual drive unit but it does not show much in the way of unit assembly. Which bearings are you needing to replace

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in