propane furnace opinions please - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 11-25-2014 Thread Starter
islander bahama 24

Re: propane furnace opinions please

Thanks for all the input I guess I forgot to include the part about this being for the new to us boat a 42 ft Spencer built in Canada and well insulated also already have propane on board with two 30 pound tanks. Also I worked HVAC for many years on houses and am a retired shipwright the unit in question was priced at just about 1500 for install kit as opposed to the wabasco diesel unit at just under 3 k. I just have never installed one on a boat and dad doesn't want a bulkhead unit has to be forced air also what would the units do to the potential resale value would the diesel increase the value enough to offset the install cost any

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 11-25-2014

I would heartily recommend the Dickenson Propane unit . It comes in two sizes ,the larger ,which have puts out 12,000BTU on high. It heats my Freedom 33 with now problem, the unit also has a fan that is adjustable and helps distribute the heat. I generally run on high untill boat warms up(about 15-20 minutes ) then turn it down to maintain heat. While I agree that propane has a low energy densiity these units are quite efficient and my two 6 lbs run my hot water and stove too yet Ive never felt like I didingt have enough propane. I live aboard and run the unnit continuosly when aboard and I have to switch tanks about once every weeks. Im adding a deck mounted 20 lb barbecue size just for the winter so that should last atleast a month.
The other real nice thing is the "AMBIENCE" it is truly wonderful too curl up next to the "fireplace" with a book and a cup of Pete's Coffee !!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0725.jpg   m_IMG_0675.jpg   m_IMG_0631.jpg   m_IMG_0680.jpg   m_IMG_0815.jpg  

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-25-2014

The Dickinson P9000 or P12000 are good safe units for boats but not great for liveaboard boats. Their fan is hardly able to distribute heat to a V-berth or after cabin.

The best units would be forced air from Wallas, Espar, or Webasto with the Wallas being the quiet one. All 3 are thermostat controlled forced air furnaces suitable for a boat of 42'. Call Scanmarine in Seattle for your options. If the budget is higher look at a hydronic system from Espar but expect 8 - 10k pricing.
jrd22 likes this.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour

post #14 of 31 Old 11-25-2014 Thread Starter
islander bahama 24

Brian the budget is rather limited right now just bought new technotics holding plate freezer and refer unit likely will do a Wallis but may not be able to afford it until next summer before going to Alaskan waters and the bulkhead units are not possible we would either loose part of dinette and that berth or loose the two sea berths on the port side and that is not an option so forced air is the best way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by newhaul; 11-25-2014 at 07:17 PM.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
.....so forced air is the best way to go.
For a Spencer 42 I agree.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #16 of 31 Old 11-25-2014
Courtney the Dancer

Our Wallas forced air furnace does a great job in our 40' pilothouse. Just spent three days in sub freezing temps and it was toasty warm. You won't regret going the diesel forced air route if you are going to use the boat in cold weather (or even in warm weather/ cold water). Scanmarine is great to work with for DIY installation.
mitiempo likes this.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #17 of 31 Old 11-26-2014

Yup, a Cal and and a Spencer 42 are a little different. Minor details.

Diesel forced air.
post #18 of 31 Old 11-26-2014 Thread Starter
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yup, a Cal and and a Spencer 42 are a little different. Minor details.

Diesel forced air.
Im not getting itif you are referring to the confusion concerning boats I own and live on an islander Bahama 24 the Spencer is my dads new boat I have a force ten propane unit on my boat we are needing non electric heating for the 42 right now he is heating with a forced air 110 ac and a 110 ac radiant unit the po before the kid we got the boat from removed the original heating plant for some reason not sure what that was dad is the 5th owner

post #19 of 31 Old 11-27-2014

Newhaul.. it wasn't totally clear, to me, anyway, that we were talking about your Dad's boat at first. Like most, probably, I saw your avatar and made assumptions

Seems the consensus for a boat that size, is diesel forced air (or diesel hydronic). Not the least expensive options but if you go the 'truck source' route I think you can do pretty well comparatively speaking.

An old-school diesel stove/bulkhead heater would probably do a good job of heating the main cabin but warming the ends of the boat would become an issue, I think.

I don't think a 'inexpensive' propane fired unit that the insurance company might balk at is the final answer.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #20 of 31 Old 11-27-2014
Dirt Free

Forced air unit ? How about this natural gas furnace run off two 20lb. propane tanks. I love my job, I get to see stuff like this every day
Attached Thumbnails
gas to propane.jpg  

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in