Mast steps - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 12-19-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Mast steps

Sea-Dog Folding Mast Step
Just ordered one to make sure it would fit our mast well, look good, and held me well. Just curious if anyone else had these? I did not want the fixed ones so lines would not get tangled, and less windage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-19-2014

Re: Mast steps

I installed these last summer, quite like them. Still have to watch your lines for tangling now and then, but they are super convenient !!

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
post #3 of 37 Old 12-19-2014

I installed them on our previous cs 36. Loved them. Could go up and down anytime I wanted. Wife just had to follow me w/ the halyard. Plan on installing them on the current boat when we have the rig down to replace the rod rigging in the future.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40

post #4 of 37 Old 12-19-2014

In a pinch I've used them solo with a harness and a strap around the mast

High Hopes

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
post #5 of 37 Old 12-19-2014
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

I confess I've never had a great deal of trouble with the non folding type though I can see the attraction of the foldable variety. Guess it comes down to the budget.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #6 of 37 Old 12-19-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
In a pinch I've used them solo with a harness and a strap around the mast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
I installed them on our previous cs 36. Loved them. Could go up and down anytime I wanted. Wife just had to follow me w/ the halyard. Plan on installing them on the current boat when we have the rig down to replace the rod rigging in the future.
Jim
Yes, wife has a very hard time winching me up the masts. I plan to use a clip on assender on a halyard. Going to do a few at a time as I paint the mast.

I wonder if I should sand them and paint black to match the mast, or leave them shiny? Shiny may look like a nice contrast.

post #7 of 37 Old 12-20-2014

Mine are on a black mast and I like the contrast
UnionPacific likes this.

High Hopes

Mark Twain
post #8 of 37 Old 12-20-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

A few years ago I made up some mast steps from 1-1/4" X 3/16" s.s. stock. The idea was to eliminate all but brackets on the mast to avoid weight, windage, and line tangling of permanent steps. It has worked out well. If I need to get up the mast, I just take enough steps with me in the bosun's chair, which has large pockets and slide them in as I go up. Easy-peezy. I usually leave a couple of lowers on so as to be able to get up quickly for a view of what's ahead. They are easy to make. The mast clips are attached with 4 s.s. rivets. Rough drawing:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1356.jpg  
Barquito and downeast450 like this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #9 of 37 Old 12-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
A few years ago I made up some mast steps from 1-1/4" X 3/16" s.s. stock. The idea was to eliminate all but brackets on the mast to avoid weight, windage, and line tangling of permanent steps. It has worked out well. If I need to get up the mast, I just take enough steps with me in the bosun's chair, which has large pockets and slide them in as I go up. Easy-peezy. I usually leave a couple of lowers on so as to be able to get up quickly for a view of what's ahead. They are easy to make. The mast clips are attached with 4 s.s. rivets. Rough drawing:
Interesting design. I would be affreid to pull some out with a line ending on top of the mast with few missing steps. But again if this happens you can still decent vith the line.
I have plastic foldable steps and love them.
I installed them with my mast up - ancored in a nice Caribbean island. I fixed a few per day . . .

Beneteau Oceanis 473

finished cruising after two years.
post #10 of 37 Old 12-20-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaz_423 View Post
I installed them with my mast up
Thats the plan here too. Not only am I installing them with mast up, but I am painting as I ascend too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in