Cockpit and Deck Painting Advice - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 01-01-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Cockpit and Deck Painting Advice

Thanks for all of the advice. A few additional data points:

1. My current non-skid is a embossed waffle diamond pattern. The pattern is in good shape and appears to be painted with a flat paint that didn't contain grit. Guessing there is the original and the current coat. Current coat was likely done by a PO. Very light tan along the lines of Interlux Sand Beige and Bristol Beige).

2. Cockpit surfaces and other deck surfaces are a mix of glossy and flat white. Generally the flat is on areas where you might step (coamings, cockpit seating, etc.) and glossy are on vertical surfaces such as the companionway and vertical walls of the cockpit well.

Based on all of the advice and reading online, here is my current gameplan:

1. Thoroughly wash surfaces prior to sanding. Remove as much deck hardware as I can stand. Sand existing painted surfaces with 80 grit, 120 grit, and finally 220 grit. Wipe with acetone in between and when finished

2. Fill and sand any dings, crack, etc.

3. Prep existing non-skid pattern with a cupped wire brush to remove/scuff existing paint. Maybe a light sand on top of the pattern to scuff but I think I want to preserve the pattern.

3b. Paint with primer depending on product choice

4. Paint cockpit with appropriate white/off white with flattner for non-gloss areas

5. Paint non-skid with Interdeck or similar.

I would like some rougher texture in addition to the diamond pattern but would prefer not to obliterate the diamond pattern. Also don't want too much roughness since the kids play around on deck while at anchor. Don't have a great idea how aggressive the various non-skid textures are. Read about someone adding glass blasting beads to adjust coarseness.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 01-01-2015
Administrator

I am surprised that no one mentioned Kiwigrip for the non-skid. I have concluded that Kiwigrip is the hot ticket for non-skid, especially for the DIY crowd. I am also a big believer in two part epoxy high build primer if you are painting the original gelcoat since tends to fill pin holes and micro cracks preventing read though.

Jeff
sprega and oysterman23 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #13 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I am surprised that no one mentioned Kiwigrip for the non-skid. I have concluded that Kiwigrip is the hot ticket for non-skid, especially for the DIY crowd.
See post #4

Quote:
I am also a big believer in two part epoxy high build primer if you are painting the original gelcoat since tends to fill pin holes and micro cracks preventing read though.

Jeff
+ 1

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #14 of 33 Old 01-01-2015 Thread Starter

I've read great things about KiwiGrip. Would probably use it if I was going to get rid of the diamond pattern. I've heard KiwiGrip texture is pretty aggressive and will hide lots of stuff including both blemishes and patterns.

I am painting over at least one coat of paint on top o gelcoat. Read that the two part epoxies can act like solvents which might impact adhesion if any old paint is still around so I am leaning toward the one part formulas that are more compatible with existing coatings... Or so I've read

Josh
post #15 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

I don't think Interdeck is going to leave your original pattern visible either.. Suspect it will fill the valleys of the surface already there.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #16 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I don't think Interdeck is going to leave your original pattern visible either.. Suspect it will fill the valleys of the surface already there.
Well ... could it be that on European boats the non-slip pattern is still there even after some 2-3 layers of paint, whereas on American ... no, no that cannot be the case. Anyhow, my non-skid pattern is very apparent.

Further, if one wants to use a glossy paint on non-skid (and other matt areas) one should get "non-gloss" additive, which actually is available for the Interlux 2-component series. Note, that if going for 2 layers then the first layer should not have the non-gloss added, just the final layer.

A science of itself all this.

/J
post #17 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

Prep for mono or bi-part paints is essentially the same. You will need to wipe down with solvent after sanding. That will likely take care of -or at least indicate - any incompatible substrates. We used two part Interlux for our deck & cockpit about a dozen years ago. It now needs re-doing. The interim touch-ups we've done have been with Brightsides and Interdeck. The Brightsides seems to fail after a season, needing re-prepping and re-coating to keep it looking presentable. Interdeck holds up better, but as some have mentioned, can be difficult to keep looking clean. If you want to not paint every season, go with the two-part paint. It is a bit more finicky about temperature and humidity conditions than the others, but it lasts about ten times longer. For us, getting ten years of good looking paint was worth waiting a few weeks for the right painting conditions to happen.
post #18 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

I painted cockpit and deck with leftover white Brightsides. Existing beige was original from 1981, dirty, dusty and hairline cracks. Wiped down with acetone, sanded, wiped down again with acetone, rinsed with clear water. Rolled and tipped both smooth and non-skid.
Observations:
1. White is WAYYYY too bright and shows every speck of dirt. I still have to finish the sides with plexi windows and stanchions in the way and I will do those areas with beige first. I will then redo the smooth white parts of the deck with beige and eventually the cockpit as well. Will redo the non-skid with contrasting colour. Most of my deck is non-skid.
2. Two coats on the non-skid barely affected the non-skid...it will still skin your knees if you fall.
3. I taped most hardware....what a PITA...and it still leaked under the tape. Birghtsides is as thin as 2% milk.
4. Cockpit is very much a PITA to do with limited space and have to do two coats on four different sessions so that you do not paint yourself into corner.

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade

Last edited by Faster; 01-01-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: try to fix photo link... no luck... (use photobucket instead!;))
post #19 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

Original ugly beige
Half way white cockpit
Cockpit all white
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20130512-00051.jpg   IMG_20140914_123333.jpg   IMG_20140914_173742.jpg  

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade
post #20 of 33 Old 01-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
Original ugly beige
Half way white cockpit
Cockpit all white
Looks pretty nice!

On our previous boat we repainted stem to stern, keel to truck. We went with white on deck, Awlgrip with griptex on non skid.

Never minded the 'bright white' on deck - if it's sunny you ought to be wearing good sunglasses anyway - and it's MUCH cooler underfoot than any other colour - even a 'light' gray can get uncomfortably hot under bare feet on a hot day.

Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in