Boat wire: is SAE tinned "good enough"? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 Old 01-19-2015
Master Mariner

Re: Boat wire: is SAE tinned "good enough"?

First off, I would forward Maine Sail's answer to this person.
Next I would insist that this person pay the return shipping. I doubt the boat show organizers would take too kindly to one of their booth holders blatantly ripping off customers, and you might want to point this out to the guy, in case he has intentions of getting another booth at a boat show.
I certainly would not just let him get away with this sort of rip off.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 Old 01-19-2015

I think I know the vendor, and i won't do business with them, simply because they have gone out of their way to NOT earn my business. Condescension, disdain and rudeness seem to be ingrained in the corporate culture because every person i have ever dealt with at their booth has made me walk away empty handed.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 01-19-2015 at 06:16 PM.
post #13 of 73 Old 01-19-2015 Thread Starter

BlJones,
I got your PM but still need a few posts before I can respond. I'll come up with a few posts and will get back to you asap.

post #14 of 73 Old 01-19-2015 Thread Starter

Bljones, Capta, Hellosailor and others:

Thanks for the support. It's really reassuring to hear from knowledgeable folks that I'm not going crazy or being super finicky. Although I'm a bit frustrated, I'm not quite ready to flame this local business and throw them under the bus just yet. I'm still waiting to see how this all plays out and will be sure to update this thread at that time.

Again, for the sake of helping others, please PM me if you wish to know the details and I will get back to you.

cheers,
Novic
post #15 of 73 Old 01-19-2015
Old enough to know better

If they said it was "marine grade" then I would return it and demand they ship the correct grade wire, at no cost to you, or return your money, and send a pick up for the wrong goods. If they don't offer to send FedEx (or some other shipper) to come pick it up then ask that they refund your money (call credit card company and file a complaint as well, as you have a limited time to do this) and allow you to keep the wire. Under no circumstances would I drive it there unless they are reimbursing you for your mileage. This is not "old" wire, just simply the "wrong" wire, I believe this just standard automotive wiring. As Hellosailor has mentioned it is gauged differently, so not only is it the wrong temperature rating it is not the correct gauge.
post #16 of 73 Old 01-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Something that can explain it all:

SAE wire gauges and AWG wire gauges (which Ancor usually uses) are NOT THE SAME. An SAE wire size is normally 1-2 sizes under the corresponding AWG size, as I recall, so if you order AWG-10 wire, and you get "SAE-10" you've really gotten AWG-14, a very much smaller, thinner, CHEAPER wire.

The merchant is basically paying by the pound for copper, and when they deliver a size or two lighter? Right, they have saved lots of money. AND CHEATED YOU.

This could be actionable fraud (mail fraud, wire fraud, etc.) in the US. It would also be delivering non-conforming goods, which would both release you from any obligation to accept them.

Could be some sort of relabeling mix-up, sure. But CHECK THE WIRE on a gauge (or use a wire stripper, see if it strips at the right size) and if you were sent non-confirming goods, tell the vendor you're on to the game. They can send a pre-paid pickup slip, or they can explain it to the fraud investigators.

There's just too much of this ***t going on. It IS simply criminal, and we all need to roll up our sleeves and pitch in to stop it. If you used a credit card, non-conforming goods is a perfect reason to call the card company and reject the charges.
A highly useful post! I did not know that SAE gauges are different from AWG gauges. Thank you for pointing this out!

And I agree with your outrage. This could have easily happened to me (see previous sentence) and it is pure and simple fraud. I don't believe for a second that this vendor did not know exactly what he/she/it was selling (see the bogus claim "105deg cable just came out"), and they are counting on the relative ignorance of buyers, like yours truly.

Throw the book at'em!
post #17 of 73 Old 01-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by novic View Post
Bljones, Capta, Hellosailor and others:

Thanks for the support. It's really reassuring to hear from knowledgeable folks that I'm not going crazy or being super finicky. Although I'm a bit frustrated, I'm not quite ready to flame this local business and throw them under the bus just yet. I'm still waiting to see how this all plays out and will be sure to update this thread at that time.

Again, for the sake of helping others, please PM me if you wish to know the details and I will get back to you.

cheers,
Novic
If you don't throw an obvious fraudster under the bus, they will make continue to make money with people that are less cautious than you are.
post #18 of 73 Old 01-19-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
If you don't throw an obvious fraudster under the bus, they will make continue to make money with people that are less cautious than you are.
I agree with your sentiment, but I think the company needs to have a chance to show if they will help him or not. Obviously they first started with a brush off technique, but let him get the correct wire or money back before blasting. If he blasts the companies name publicly it may make it harder to get his situation settled.
post #19 of 73 Old 01-19-2015

At some point, perhaps after your interactions with this company are complete, it would be very helpful to know who they are so others don't end up stepping into the same situation.
JV
post #20 of 73 Old 01-19-2015

Based on you owning a CS36T and the vendor being one with 'original replacement parts' I'm thinking their catalog has a bright yellow cover. My experience is similar to BLJones - never comfortable with their customer service and always had the feeling customers are their lowest priority. Fortunately there are other options once you get to know your way around the chandlers. Your best bet is to ask other boaters in your area and on your travels.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in