Toilets, Y valve or not Y valve - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 12-22-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Toilets, Y valve or not Y valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGBEAR View Post
In process of rebuilding plumbing system on my 31’ sailboat.
From your description and follow up posts I believe your plan will be just fine.

You can meet the requirement for avoiding overboard discharge by putting a key-operated inline electrical switch in the line to the macerator pump.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 12-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
From your description and follow up posts I believe your plan will be just fine.

You can meet the requirement for avoiding overboard discharge by putting a key-operated inline electrical switch in the line to the macerator pump.
Or just tie-wrap the valve closed as allowed by the Coast Guard.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #23 of 44 Old 12-22-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Or just tie-wrap the valve closed as allowed by the Coast Guard.
From the OP description there is no Y valve. An electrical disconnect is fine.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #24 of 44 Old 12-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
From the OP description there is no Y valve. An electrical disconnect is fine.
It is, if more complicated than necessary. The seacock can be tied closed which is a bit simpler.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #25 of 44 Old 12-22-2015

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post

And we're used to discharge laws on the great lakes so I know from experience, my set up would not pass-you have to have NO ability the pump overboard-none, in fresh water no discharge areas.

Is this true on the US side of the great lakes? I don't believe it is, unless it's a new law. I've heard these are the rules in Canada, but not in the US. Wasn't able to find any reference to this. Do you have a link or a quote from the EPA, USCG, Boat US or something similar?

S/V Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40

post #26 of 44 Old 12-22-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
And we're used to discharge laws on the great lakes so I know from experience, my set up would not pass-you have to have NO ability the pump overboard-none, in fresh water no discharge areas.
So what you are saying is that any vessel that visits the Great Lakes must first haul out and remove and plug any seacocks that were legally in use in other places, before sailing the Great Lakes? Hum, I guess we'll just pass on visiting the Great Lakes.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #27 of 44 Old 12-23-2015
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
So what you are saying is that any vessel that visits the Great Lakes must first haul out and remove and plug any seacocks that were legally in use in other places, before sailing the Great Lakes? Hum, I guess we'll just pass on visiting the Great Lakes.

If there really is such a law I've never heard of it being enforced in Canada. I've cruise the Great Lakes for over ten years. A few of those was with a Y valve setup. I simply tied off the valve with a tiewrap. In all my years on the Lakes have never even had any police even ask about my setup, let alone inspect.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #28 of 44 Old 12-23-2015

Appendix 2.0 Sewage Holding Tank Systems - Transport Canada

"Information Note:

Ontario Waters

For pleasure craft in the waters of Ontario, the overboard discharge is not permitted as per the Environmental Protection Act (Ontario), Regulation 343, “Discharge of Sewage from Pleasure Boats.” Any overboard discharge, as shown in options 2, 3 and 4 will have to be disconnected and blanked before entering the waters of Ontario."

As Mike said I have never heard of it being enforced but it is the law......
post #29 of 44 Old 12-23-2015

Quote:
But where does your head empty into the tank?

All I really am saying is, a "T" can replace a Y valve, in most instances. As both the overboard discharge, and the deck outlet have to drain-suction from the bottom(or top with standpipe), they can be combined via a "T".

This means the Deck plate and the hand pump operate as shut offs-when pumping overboard or pump-out(hope this makes sense ) In my case, a Y valve was redundant, expensive, tedious and stinky.

The other 1 1/2" tank outlet-top, will be the in-flow from the head pump.
I agree with this. When the Y-valve on the outlet of holding tank froze and the plastic handle broke, I replaced it with a tee. As Tom states, the pumpout cap and the overboard pump and seacock act as shutoffs. More reliable and simplier. My bladder tank does have a vent however. Hated the badder tank on my previous boat but this one works fine.
post #30 of 44 Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter

I took out the Y and the Y valve in March this year, and installed new hoses without any T or Y or Y-valves. One hose from head to top of holding tank, Two outlets in the bottom of holding tanks, one to the macerator/seacock via vented loop and the other to deck pump out. The simplest system in my opinion. Handle on seacock always closed (not locked or zip-tied) when sailing in NDZ and keyed switch on the macerator pump with key stored in the cockpit on the key chain together with the engine starter key.
All perfectly legal and no smelling standing sewage in any of the hoses, T's, Y's or valves anymore.
All I can say is: "why did I not think of this before"?

Tags
discharge , marine toilet , plumbing , waste tank installation , y valve

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in