Let's see your electronics! (for science) - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 Old 03-02-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Let's see your electronics! (for science)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackish_Beard View Post
SVAuspicious you assume too much, just relax.
On what basis? Oh by the way, I did not appreciate your rude PM.

If you think your questions are unique than you have definitely not done any research. These same questions do in fact get asked over and over again. They have been asked so many times that some SailNet members started posting links to previous discussions. They have been asked so many times that many of us have even tired of that. You are not plowing fresh ground. In fact, the size of boat, the list of equipment, the equipment you did NOT list (like batteries) make it clear you haven't done basic research. You have to be more self-sufficient.

The cruising community is incredibly supportive. You better start with "this is what I have done, and this is what I don't understand" before you'll get much support.

Quote:
You asked what was more fundamental and relevant than electric research? Come on, I've had rebuild an old outboard just to get Calypso to my marina, in addition I have half of Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Maintenance book under my belt because hell, my vessel is a neglected (not anymore) '74 not to mention everything that has gone into make a viable existence as a liveaboard without access to electricity. What's more fundamental than making sure my vessel doesn't leak her way to Davey Jones?
Not sinking is a good start. Have you read and fully understood Casey's electrical sections? Come on. Even if you read no other book Casey is a good overview. Read the book. If there is something specific you don't understand there are some really well-reputed people here that will answer well found questions.

Quote:
As far as the batteries go, based on my research, the standard wet cells are heavier than AGM, don't stand up to the elements as long (mine are 10yrs old), more maintenance, the lead ingredient is poisonous and the fact that it creates a potentially explosive mixture of hydrogen gas as I understand it makes me lean towards new AGM batteries.
You don't understand what you have read. Batteries pretty much weight the same (until you get to Lithium composites). Wet cells deal with elements (as long as you don't completely capsize the boat) as well as gel cells and AGMs. Maintenance is trivial as long as access isn't too difficult. There is lead in wet cells, gels, and AGMs. You do have to worry about outgassing in wet cells but that is what battery boxes are for. AGMs have their own downsides and cost/Ah/life cycle is hugely higher than wets.

Quote:
I don't believe I'm wasting anybody's time
Then you haven't done enough research.

You are in fact repeating questions that have been asked and answered dozens if not hundreds of times before. If you can't be bothered to do research on your own why should other, experienced, credentialed people be bothered to spend time on you? SailNet and other fora get a lot of people who swoop in with grandiose plans and questions that have been asked and answered many times before and then disappear.

Do your own research and learn to ask good questions.

Quote:
if you don't feel a thread is worthwhile then move along, only you can waste your time.
I'm one of those with a lot of experience that reaches out to help a lot. Some of that time is a waste. At your request I will ignore you. I suspect you have lost a lot of other support as well based on your response. Interpret what you do get with that in mind.
Siamese likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 Old 03-02-2015
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira

Here's a good start for comparing battery chemistries.
Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University
Brackish_Beard likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bill-Rangatira For This Useful Post:
Brackish_Beard (03-02-2015)
post #43 of 44 Old 03-02-2015
Old enough to know better

The biggest issue with AGM, gel, and lithium is the charging systems must be exactly set up to strict standards or battery life will be very very short. The system will likely cost more than both your boats put together especially lithium. I am not implying either boat is bad just that there are lots of better ways to spend what appears to be somewhat limited funds. We all have limitations to our available funds. I suggest living with the boat as it stands for a year before making much in the way of changes. I see many who put too many changes on a boat before they realize how they will really use it. If you have leaks stopped motor running just live with the boat as it is. You may find you can't fit what you want in either boat or that one of them is perfect. To figure that out will take time. Don't spread yourself too thin working on several boats as you won't likely get anywhere doing that and every dollar put into the boat you will eventually sell will have been wasted. Old boats have no value added to them by having upgrades done to them. Trying to make money flipping a boat is normally a fool's errand if yo do the work properly.

So what most folks here are saying is slow down and sail a bit!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Last edited by miatapaul; 03-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Brackish_Beard (03-05-2015)

post #44 of 44 Old 03-05-2015

I received a PM from the OP asking that I contribute something more technical to this thread than to question it's legitimacy. Now that I've caught up with other posts (I've been away sailing for a week), I'm not sure I have much more to add. There have been some excellent cautions to the scenario originally posted, although, I see it has been edited now.

If we're not to focus on the actual boat in question, or its use, or the lack of shore power, etc, than I'm not sure what more we can add than to just flip the electronics pages in the next Defender catalog. You might also just peruse listing on Yachtworld and see what people have fitted out on all sorts of boats. If I could be more helpful, I would.
Brackish_Beard likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
appliances , battery , electric , gear , liveaboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in