Gremlins in the chain locker - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-20-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Gremlins in the chain locker

Yesterday I was going through a list of function checks to prove that critical systems work before taking the family out on the boat. I found that our primary anchor chain (G4 3/8) was not marked in length, and the bitter end was fixed to the boat without a length of rope. It was generally in good condition except.... for a few isolated links that were REALLY rusted. In each case it was 3-6 links, all bunched together and massively inflicted with red and black rust. In once case the remaining link was only as thick as a wedding ring.

Why would some parts of the chain be so afflicted but other parts be in such good shape? Do you think that parts of the chain were touching a dissimilar metal in the locker?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-20-2015
Sailor

Re: Gremlins in the chain locker

Sitting in a pool of water? Bad metal in the links? Poorly galvanized there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-21-2015

Hey Medsailor: Looks like those areas could be laying on the bottom of the chain locker in the residual mud and salt. We are over in Port Townsend getting the bottom done and the hull waxed. Just yesterday I pulled all 300' of our G4 5/16 chain out of the locker and layed it out on the ground while on the hard. I decided to swap the ends for now, cutting about 15' off of the old anchor end and about 5' off the the bitter end. (It was spliced onto about 200' of 3/4" rope. Took me about an hour to redo the long eye splice.) Now I have to redo all the length markers as they are from the wrong end!

I put down a layer of DryDeck from WM in the bottom of the chain locker to better allow the mud and salt to be hosed out and slow down future rusting.

How long is your chain? Are the bad links in the middle? If so, you may be in for some new chain. I wouldn't sleep at night with those links. 300' seems to be the minimum here in the PNW for bigger boats. Lots of deep anchorages in Canada.

Tom H

post #4 of 22 Old 04-21-2015

Those parts of the chain were at the bottom of the locker with salt water and mud. It takes a lot of time for those rusts to form. This indicates, the anchor is not used for a long time or short lengths of chain was used and those parts were sitting in the locker without being disturbed. If you used your anchor often then you are anchoring in shallow water and not using most of the chain.
The Following User Says Thank You to celenoglu For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (04-21-2015)
post #5 of 22 Old 04-21-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Those parts of the chain were at the bottom of the locker with salt water and mud. It takes a lot of time for those rusts to form. This indicates, the anchor is not used for a long time or short lengths of chain was used and those parts were sitting in the locker without being disturbed. If you used your anchor often then you are anchoring in shallow water and not using most of the chain.
The boat was lightly used in Florida (shallow water). That probably explains it.

MedSailor

post #6 of 22 Old 04-21-2015

Good thing you pulled it out for a look!!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 22 Old 04-21-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I had the same problem with Italian 10 mm x 28 mm chain. Some of it looked like this after 26 months. It was bought new from a major Caribbean chandler who refused any form of recompense.

This gave me a real shock when I found it. It was not at the bottom of the pile and the locker drains into the bilge so there is no question of it sitting in water.

It had been relegated to back up duties after only 15 months use as it was worn enough to jump on the gypsy. This was when I made the claim to the chandlery.

Last edited by TQA; 04-21-2015 at 02:53 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-21-2015

Looks like recycled steel with so much impurities made into chain that should never have been for marine use. They sold it to unsuspecting customers knowing full well it should not have been sold to the marine industry.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-21-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

TQA,

I remember your chain issues. Were they a few isolated links together or longer lengths that were affected?

What puzzles me is that i have 4 or 5 affected areas of 5 or 6 links each. All the rest of the chanin looks good.

post #10 of 22 Old 04-21-2015
al brazzi

We all know its a new Boat replace it and move on. There WILL be more things.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in