SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C-lark 14 traveller repair

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  WrkrBee 
#1 ·
Hello all! I have been absent on here for a long while. Last year I had changed jobs and my new position sadly didn't allow for much free time...

Anyway, I don't think the traveller rig on my C-Lark will make it through the season. The eye straps are stretched out and the fiber glass is pulled up at the screw holes. The setup is pretty simple. A length of covered steel cable is run through some thimbles and crimped at each end. The loops are hooked through steel eye straps, bolted to the hull. A swivel block travels along the covered steel rope. Pretty simple.

So the easiest fix would be to just replace the eye straps. No problem. However, could this setup be improved since I will have to replace it? Is there a way to save the fiberglass from all the stress being pulled on it?

Or perhaps it's not the hardware but rather in my sailing? In which case, maybe someone could offer some advice?

#7 · (Edited)
You need to head over to Fisheries or West Marine and pick up a dropped forged eye strap of the same size. Those stamped ones are too weak for the job.
http://http://www.fisheriessupply.com/wichard-eye-strap

As for backing, you could use large SS fender washers with a smaller washer stacked on top, but better would be a piece of SS or aluminum. I was able to purchase a piece of 1/4' Al at my local True Value hardware store pretty reasonably.

As for the traveler wire, do you still have the double pulley as shown on the spec sheet? You might want to consider a piece of Dyneema instead. Quieter, runs smoother, and won't scratch your fiberglass. I used to have a similar arrangement on an O'day Javelin many years ago

#9 ·
I suspect you're tugging way too hard on the mainsheet, in an effort to drive the boat to windward an extra 32nd of a degree. There's a point of diminishing returns, where you get an insignificant amount of benefit for the added load that you put on the gear. The C-Lark isn't designed to withstand the kinds of loads that you would put on a bigger, ballasted boat. I'd put backing plates behind the attachments, and ease up on the mainsheet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.