changing oil - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-26-2015 Thread Starter

changing oil

Just before haulout (as usual) I changed the oil in my Yanmar 2GM and had trouble reading the dipstick because it was dark (did it at night) and the oil was so clean. Just before launch, I checked it again and the oil was just like it was when I put it in,clean as can be. So..got me thinking - do I really need to change the oil right away this spring? Does it really make any difference that it was sitting in the engine or in a plastic oil container?

I am not really from Toronto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-26-2015
Crealock 37

Dock
Re: changing oil

I see no reason to change oil that has no run time on it.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-26-2015
Senior Moment Member

Oil does oxidize in an engine - it isn't in a sealed container like it is in the bottle.

That said, if it is so pristine that you have trouble seeing it on the dipstick, let it go.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

I only change mine in the fall. No hours, no change, unless its been sitting for longer than just the winter.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

Oil is not just a lubricant. It has additives that are intended to prevent corrosion, deal with moisture, slow it from shedding off critical parts while sitting idle, etc.

Some of these additives will decay or evaporate or whatever, just by sitting in your motor. That's why oil change dates are given in both calendar (months) and usage intervals (hours, miles, etc).

I put fresh oil in just before laying up for the winter, so I have max additives for the winter. Then I replace it at the beginning of the season, even though I have run the motor more than 30 mins. Sitting for 5 months will degrade the oil's full usefulness.

Fresh oil is the cheapest maintenance one can do to prolong engine life. I only change the filter once per year.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
... It has additives that are intended to prevent corrosion, deal with moisture, slow it from shedding off critical parts while sitting idle, etc.

Some of these additives will decay or evaporate or whatever, just by sitting in your motor. That's why oil change dates are given in both calendar (months) and usage intervals (hours, miles, etc)....
Which ones? A declarative statement that says at least one thing that is counter intuitive and unlikely (additives evaporate at low temperatures--if they did that cold in a few months, they would last only hours in use) really requires support.

I'm in the industry (formulation) and I can't think of any where this is true in a single winter. Yes, the engine may absorb some moisture in the off-season (a few hundred ppm at worst), but this will reach equilibrium within an hour of operation.

If you wish to change your oil very frequently, that is, of course, entirely your business.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
seaner97 (04-27-2015)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

A few bucks extra each season to change your oil? Hardly worth getting too excited about.
I used to put the old oil in a very old MB 240D...Sure why not?

Now I give my old oil to fisherman, they are happier then clams and usually flip me a snapper or a grouper, and if times are tough a few squid.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by aeventyr60; 04-27-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Which ones? A declarative statement that says at least one thing that is counter intuitive and unlikely (additives evaporate at low temperatures--if they did that cold in a few months, they would last only hours in use) really requires support.......
The "or whatever" in my post was directly intended to say I didn't know how oil scientifically degrades over time and was just suggesting possibilities. Nevertheless, I understand it does, as it is introduced into an uncontrolled environment inside one's engine. At the least, it is mixed with some contaminants that didn't drain out, not to mention those added, if only run up for a leak check or to disburse the new fresh oil.

No two engines will experience the same contamination. Short starts and stops will be different than running to temp under load for an hour. Universal advice to wait to change one's oil can be perilous for one and not the other.

The bottom line is this. Changing your oil too frequently, will never hurt. Changing too infrequently will. The best universal advice is to change it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

Folow rules

1. Change oil once a year
2. Change oil after RH
3. Change oili on begining of season.
4. Use Always recom. oil
5. Newer overfili oil in sump
6. If change oil change filter and clean biges
If you have problem with engine is Always expencive and you are in trouble.
Is same window wiper on the car is broken always when raining

Regards
Damir
post #10 of 10 Old 04-27-2015

Figure it's important to run the engine a while after fall oil change to flush old acidic oil from internal parts before long shut down. Because of my operating schedule (commercial passenger) I changed oil again mid summer season. Lay up also included closing exhaust and draining muffler to bilge to prevent cold wet wind from breathing thru engine all winter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in