2-blade Flexofold Problems - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

Re: 2-blade Flexofold Problems

The propeller doesen't give me any power aft at all. It colapses inn on itself. The mounting of the propeller is done after FOF's own drawings and spec's.

You asked for a video of the propeller in use, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_adsflxy8g

-

"Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is... what the Jolly Dodger really is... is freedom."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 Old 04-28-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY JollyDodger View Post
The propeller doesen't give me any power aft at all. It colapses inn on itself. The mounting of the propeller is done after FOF's own drawings and spec's.

You asked for a video of the propeller in use, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_adsflxy8g

-
Wow!! I am very curious to hear what FOF has to say? I am wondering if the proximity of the blade tips to the rudder are creating an issue with flow and hindering them opening all the way?

Our FOF backed okay, as have the many I have installed for customers, but they backed no where near as well as the fixed props we'd removed. Of course that was to be expected and was an accepted trade off.. What is happening to yours is certainly rather odd.
SY JollyDodger likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #13 of 53 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Wow!! I am very curious to hear what FOF has to say?

I have sent them another mail with a link to the video. Exiting to see if they take a look at it and gives me an answer. Although, my boat goes up on the hard again next week and I'm changing back to the old Eliche Radice folding prop.

"Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is... what the Jolly Dodger really is... is freedom."

post #14 of 53 Old 04-28-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
I have sent them another mail with a link to the video. Exiting to see if they take a look at it and gives me an answer. Although, my boat goes up on the hard again next week and I'm changing back to the old Eliche Radice folding prop.
Afterward did you pick the phone and call them?????

When I was buying my prop from them years ago they never answered an email, but answered the phone!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #15 of 53 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

No, Don0190... I did indeed not call them. I'm sorry, however there is so much more information you could transfer through an e-mail than talking over the phone. And, last but not least... This is 2015 not 1990. I am sure they learned to answer e-mails by now. If they don't answer it's not because they don't know how, but rather that they don't give a damn. And that sir; is bad customer service.

post #16 of 53 Old 04-28-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
No, Don0190... I did indeed not call them. I'm sorry, however there is so much more information you could transfer through an e-mail than talking over the phone. And, last but not least... This is 2015 not 1990. I am sure they learned to answer e-mails by now. If they don't answer it's not because they don't know how, but rather that they don't give a damn. And that sir; is bad customer service.
Well if you can not be bothered to pick up the phone and feel that talking to an actual person is less helpful than and an email I no longer feel bad about your problem.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don0190; 04-28-2015 at 04:21 PM.
post #17 of 53 Old 04-28-2015
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
This is 2015 not 1990. I am sure they learned to answer e-mails by now. If they don't answer it's not because they don't know how, but rather that they don't give a damn. And that sir; is bad customer service.
As a marine service provider, I can tell you that there are other marine businesses (and even more boat owners) that have not embraced e-mail and the Internet. Is that bad customer service? I don't think so. Inconvenient yes, bad service, no. In any event, you seem like you are cutting off your nose to spite your face by not simply picking up a phone and trying to contact them that way.
post #18 of 53 Old 04-28-2015

E-mail is not (anymore) a safe form of communcation.
I guess they never received it, due to spam-filtration. (not OP's fault, but the trouble with exentsive spamming).
Give 'em a call, I did, they are nice people, and don't bite.
I don't think it is fair to bash them for not answering your e-mails, if you don't know if they ever received them.
post #19 of 53 Old 04-28-2015

In the video, there appears to be some kelp on the collar or shaft. Could this be preventing the prop from opening?

s/v Odyssey
Catalina 30
post #20 of 53 Old 04-28-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Your seeming obsession with not picking up the phone does seem a tad odd. At the very least a phone call would alert them to the fact that you have sent an email plus you may end up with a specific email address rather than the standard published address.

Other have noted it and they are correct ... every business has spam coming out its ears. Missing the odd genuine email is quite possible indeed probable.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in