2-blade Flexofold Problems - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

Re: 2-blade Flexofold Problems

glassdad: The little strand of kelp you see is the result of the last two weeks. It's a jelly like substance or algae colony and isn't much hindrance.

Alright... To all of you phoners.
There are several reasons to NOT pick up the phone and call outside Norway for example:

1. It's CRAZY expensive, and E-mails are free.

2. Trying to explain something you could perfectly illustrate in an E-mail with pictures and so on.

3. There is a language barrier. I don't know all the technical terms, or more rather surprisingly I don't talk english that good. So the other end would probably sit there as a big question mark anyway not fully understanding my problem.

While operating a business and having a spam filter which deletes customer e-mails is a bad idea. Here in Europa when contacting firms we are encouraging to use e-mail as a means of contact. I could understand how small businesses don't use Emails so much. However big international corporations know and use emails everyday.

Anyways. on FOF's homepage they have a contact box that goes around the e-mail system. It's not possible to spam that. So no... that is a valid means of contact and the lack of answer comes alone from the lack of customer service. End of "off topic" discussion please.

See for yourself. Link: Contact - Flexofold Sailboat Propellers
boatpoker likes this.

"Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is... what the Jolly Dodger really is... is freedom."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 04-29-2015

JollyD - Are you aware of the Oslo distributor for flexofold? See progressing.no

Perhaps your pitch and RPM are a poor choice. Folding propellers can be very poor in reverse. But they can be a good choice in some cases....
SY JollyDodger likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #23 of 53 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

aloof: There are several distributors in Norway and I have been in contact with my closest one. We checked the stats on my propeller and they are the correct one for my boat type. They did not find anything wrong with the numbers or mounting after watching my youtube video. They could not help me more than that. I am pretty sure there is a flaw in the design somehow. As before, I had no problems at all with my Eliche Radice folding prop, that is coming back on next week.

"Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is... what the Jolly Dodger really is... is freedom."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 53 Old 04-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY JollyDodger View Post
glassdad: The little strand of kelp you see is the result of the last two weeks. It's a jelly like substance or algae colony and isn't much hindrance.

There are several reasons to NOT pick up the phone and call outside Norway for example:

2. Trying to explain something you could perfectly illustrate in an E-mail with pictures and so on.

3. There is a language barrier. I don't know all the technical terms, or more rather surprisingly I don't talk english that good. So the other end would probably sit there as a big question mark anyway not fully understanding my problem.

While operating a business and having a spam filter which deletes customer e-mails is a bad idea. Here in Europa when contacting firms we are encouraging to use e-mail as a means of contact. I could understand how small businesses don't use Emails so much. However big international corporations know and use emails everyday.

Believe me this IS an issue for both small and large Companies, and the problem is growing each day.

Anyways. on FOF's homepage they have a contact box that goes around the e-mail system. It's not possible to spam that. So no... that is a valid means of contact and the lack of answer comes alone from the lack of customer service. End of "off topic" discussion please.

See for yourself. Link: Contact - Flexofold Sailboat Propellers
1. CRAZY expensive?? I doubt it.

2.I think you don't need to explain much.

3. If you are norwegian, call the Danish main office, don't see much of a language barrier there.

Believe me spam IS an issue for both small and large Companies, and the problem is growing each day. But the web-form should of course Work.

Call them and get the propeller working.
post #25 of 53 Old 04-29-2015

Quote:
glassdad:

I do agree with your view, Jolly, men for helvete, they are danish! It is about the same language as Norwegian, which you seems to speak.

Local distributors in Scandinavia are not always the very best, but call or write directly the Danes. Give them the link to you video clip.
Something is wrong with your prop. I guess FoF have all interests in the world to correct this.

DK +45 7555 4346
[email protected]

I am the proud owner of a 3-blade FoF, works very well. Not any moment consider a 3-blade Radice.

/J

Last edited by Jaramaz; 04-29-2015 at 04:55 AM.
post #26 of 53 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

Doh!

Contact
Flexofold A/S [email protected] +45 7555 4346
Flexofold Deutschland [email protected] +49 461 481 5610
Flexofold North America [email protected] +1 781 797 0809

Didn't realise the first number was danish.

Alltough I see it pretty clear at the contact page now. :P

post #27 of 53 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

Been in contact with FOF, the man I was talking to where angry that I have a video on youtube called "My Flexofold problems". Alright... sorry FOF but I will keep it there.

Here is what he told me:

"It's not the propeller that is the problem. It's either":

1: Your gear is broken. (Nope, been checked)

2. Your gear ratio is wrong. (Is this even possible? The propeller opens then colapses)

3. There is leaking lubricant inn to the propeller housing. (WHAT?!?!)

4. The propeller housing is not tight enough for some reason to the propeller shaft. (Moste likely cause if any. I think I tightened it hard enough, but this I canot refute before I get the boat back up on the hard and check.)

About my E-mails to them: The contact box thingy on their website doesn't work. I sent them last time an E-mail to: [email protected] and so on. The other two where I used the box on their contact page they didn't have. Weird.

I guess we have to wait until next week then. I'll keep you updated and I'll film while checking the propeller. I also told him that if I could not find any problems described, If I could send them the propeller so they could check it there. I'm a little afraid tho, since it's pretty obvious they don't like bad reviews that they will not admit to any fault. However firstly, I need to find out if there is a problem other than the propeller.

post #28 of 53 Old 04-29-2015

Jolly,

good that there has been some progress. Sorry that you got this response from FoF. But I would be surprised if they do not address the issue now when it is public. Not only have I good experience from FoF, but also ... they cannot afford this film on Youtube.

About the the FoF first response
Quote:
Here is what he told me:

"It's not the propeller that is the problem. It's either":

1: Your gear is broken. (Nope, been checked)

2. Your gear ratio is wrong. (Is this even possible? The propeller opens then colapses)

3. There is leaking lubricant inn to the propeller housing. (WHAT?!?!)

4. The propeller housing is not tight enough for some reason to the propeller shaft. (Moste likely cause if any. I think I tightened it hard enough, but this I canot refute before I get the boat back up on the hard and check.)

(2) is possible. Some gearboxes have different gear ratio ahead and reverse. However, I would not expect this behavior from some change in gear ratio.

(3) was a new one

(4) Hm, that would then say that the prop is not really attached to the shaft. Especially in reverse you should then get a irregular behavior ... possible. The more I think about this ...

Please report back your findings to this forum!

/J
post #29 of 53 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
Norwegian Viking

Sure will do Jaramaz

post #30 of 53 Old 04-29-2015

From the video it looks like there is not enough RPM. Nothing wrong with the prop. maybe wrong prop size for the boat, looks a little small for that boat. The prop is designed to collapse at low RPM in reverse. this is how you get it to retract for sailing. a folding prop will never be completely extended in reverse at all RPM's. it is a balance of forces. mine needs at least 2500 RPM to have enough thrust to reverse the boat. The reason for the gears on the blades is to collapse the blades together and eliminate the need to rotate and lock the prop shaft so that you do not have a blade hanging down as with the non gear prop blades. if you are expecting it to back the same as a fixed blade it will not. if you had a folder that worked then why did you change to FOF. the FOF will not back any better then the Eliche for the same pitch. they are almost exact copies of each other. there is slightly less thrust for the racing blades but very little.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in