Reefing blade jib to storm jib - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter

Reefing blade jib to storm jib

Yes, I know that a storm jib must be flat and without this sort of reefing (had one on last boat--loved it), but for a strong breeze, I want to hear the discussion.

What about reefing a blade jib? I have a rather useless self tacking jib (useless off the wind) that might benefit from this treatment, but wouldn't the big lump of furled cloth ruin the airflow?

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-28-2015
Closet Powerboater

Re: Reefing blade jib to storm jib

One part of this discussion that is often left out is the question, "do you want it to work well upwind as well as off the wind?" A partially furled jib may have a poor upwind shape, but off the wind it might be just fine.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-28-2015

And it might keep you from getting caught in irons with just the main, it's hard get through a tack in a screeching breeze, and you don't want to jibe, so it may be useful in that way too.

And on a reach in heavy winds, or even a broad reach, a small jib can help you counteract the weather helm so you can bear off in the puffs. Without any jib, the boat may want to round up, and that can lead you to "knockdown city", not a nice neighborhood ;-)

post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2015

Way back we had one (reefing working jib) the gathered bunt was a bit of a pain, but it did work. We had a baby stay and it still interfered with the reefed sail and tacking past it was a worry, though with a strong breeze it always went through.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2015
Closet Powerboater

Apologies, for some reason I was thinking this jib was on a furler. Obviously need to clean my glasses.... or go get glasses....

I would offer in addition that a soft shackle used to attach the lines to the clew might speed up the reefing process. Also, if you're worried about the bunt, you could always go the route of Larry Pardey's Zipper jib.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter

I'll add some additional info. Also, look at my avitar to see the sail on my boat. I have not hoisted this sail in years, favoring a 140% genoa better suited to my sailing area. The 140% roller reefs very nicely to about 80%, a credit to the sailmaker (Hood).

* With a straight track on a high aspect self-tacking jib, as soon as you crack the sheets more than a tick, the head just twists off and flogs in high wind. The clew is too low to put any tension up high. Thus, it is impossible to open the slot in any controlled way.
* Yes, I am talking about a furling sail. But it is only about 80%. It does hold shape during roll-up and should be quite usable at 50%.

I'm thinking if I could raise the clew 3-4 feet and use my genoa sheeting leads it would be FAR more useful in a blow. I would rather not lose it as a self tacking jib, since it is nice on breezy days... but the wind rang is rather narrow, IMHO, because of the clew angle. My largest concern is that the sail is cut too full.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-28-2015 at 05:02 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-30-2015
Barquito

I would think having a bunt of reefed sail would be less of a problem in the foot of the sail was closer to horizontal (lower clew). Would it work to put a pendent on the tack and raise the whole reefed sail up off the deck?

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in