Demand for a self-leveling portable grill? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Demand for a self-leveling portable grill?

I'm a technology teacher working on a design project for a class due by Tuesday, June 23, 2015. My partner & I would like to design a self-leveling portable grill.
Specs would include:
  • rail-mounted
  • propane
  • on deck
Does anyone on this forum think this is a good or bad idea?
Thanks for your thoughts.
-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-16-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Demand for a self-leveling portable grill?

Grills are usually only used at anchor where other than the threat of a passing knobhead moving too quickly under power, gimbles are not really necessary. If we find ourselves in a lumpy anchorage its usually not the weather to be outside cooking. Might be an interesting and worthwhile design exercise but somehow I doubt there is a market for the end product.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-16-2015

Dock

Sounds like a grill on a gimbal. I can't fault the idea personally, though I wonder the exact practicality of it in the real world, depending on boats and preference. In my experience, any time the grill would really need such, would be if the wave state was enough that the boat was rocking decently. If I'm under sail, why would I (or anyone else) be grilling outdoors, and if I'm anchored, I'll be into the wind mostly so it only needs to rock fore and aft. But keeping it level, would be good to that point. BUT, if the waves are causing enough motion on the boat to require such corrective measures, how is the rest of the weather? Grilling weather? or too windy to trust it? Wet? Just my ramblings, of course. The idea I do like, don't get me wrong. For me, not sure how often it'd come into play. Though if it wasn't much more in addition to a "normal" grill setup, I couldn't see why I wouldn't go for it for the possible benefits regardless.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-16-2015

Lots of people, especially sailboat owners, buy lots of stuff because it's new and different, not necessarily because it's practical or because they have a need. Go for it.
MedSailor likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-16-2015

What might be cooking on a grill that would benefit from leveling? Seriously, my T-bone steaks and fresh caught Dorado are not prone to slipping. What might be more useful, and more challenging, is a burner that doesn't blow out in a breeze when the lid is opened. Aerodynamics....

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #6 of 20 Old 06-16-2015

Heck, there's a guy on here who wants to put a trash compactor on his boat.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
What might be cooking on a grill that would benefit from leveling? Seriously, my T-bone steaks and fresh caught Dorado are not prone to slipping. What might be more useful, and more challenging, is a burner that doesn't blow out in a breeze when the lid is opened. Aerodynamics....

I've had more then a few snags roll off the grill in calm anchorages...
tdw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-16-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Heck, there's a guy on here who wants to put a trash compactor on his boat.
Now that's a great idea. Who hasn't had bags of trash stuffed in some corner after an extended trip.

oursailingadventures.com
post #9 of 20 Old 06-16-2015
al brazzi

With the right sales pitch it will sell like hot cakes, with all the line tamers and fender adjuster gimmicks out there is certainly room for a gimbaled grill. Just make sure there is a pin to lock it in place so the Lawyers will sign off on it.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-16-2015

When I was in Marion owner of that yard had a trash compactor in his Bristol. Great idea. You can't throw plastic overboard on passage. It ends up in the lazerette or tied on in the sugar scoop. It would take up much less room when compacted. When cruising it's not infrequent to pay as much as $2/ bag. Again a compactor would cut down expense.
I don't have one nor plan to put one in. Rather use the room for storage. Same reason no microwave although some swear by them on a boat. Looking for recommendations on a good small pressure cooker tho.
Close friend on sistership grills while on passage. Think he'd be in the market for one. Be awesome to be able to grill outside if you are lucky with the Cuban yo yo.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in