volvo engine vs yanmar engine - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-25-2015 Thread Starter

volvo engine vs yanmar engine

hello, just wondering what engine more recommend for boat volvo or yanmar (for yacht 30-40feet), can anyone give me here advantages and disadvantage for each engine from your experience, i am google a little and saw more say yanmar better, but i not understand why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

I have a smaller yanmar, and have to say that getting parts for it sucks. The whole dealer/distributor limitation prevents me from going online and ordering parts, cause no one will ship them to me (being in the wrong region) and I'm stuck going to one of two "local" suppliers, who's websites are terrible, and charge me exorbitant prices.

If I were ever to re power, I'd try to find a motor from a manufacturer with a more modern parts supply chain. Not sure if that's Volvo or not.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

Re: volvo engine vs yanmar engine

Beta?

post #4 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

I have found yanmar parts easy to get just expensive Volvo parts not available at all!....Dale
Brent Swain likes this.

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #5 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

There are pros and cons, but in the US, you are going to find more mechanics familiar with the intricacies of the Yanmar line than Volvo. There are models of each line that are both easy and hard to find parts for. If you were buying new, parts are readily available in the US for both. I have a Volvo made in 2004 and buy all my parts online from Marine Parts Express, in Maine, I believe.

They say that Volvo parts are more expensive and they can be. I don't think they are all that much more than Yanmar, if you are comparing apples to apples, year/size, etc to each other. Show me an ancient Vovlo and it's parts prices, if available, are going to be higher than a brand new higher volume Yanmar.

In my boat, they installed either the 100HP Volvo or Yanmar. The prior owner of my boat chose the Volvo. It has some real advantages. First, the impeller is mounted in the front and easily accessible. On the Yanmar, it's on the side and very difficult to access. Filters are similar issues. The Volvo also runs much quieter than it's comparable Yanmar, likely due to it's lower RPM. We cruise at around 2000 rpm +/-.

On the other hand, it has given me some fits. It's always brought me home, but I've had to catch up on some maintenance that the prior owner probably never did, like clean the injectors (I just replaced them). My turbo is finicky too, but that's another story.

Bottom line, Yanmar more popular, but you really need to compare model to model, installation to installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

Had the most luck with Yanmars, least with "westerbreak", hardest to get parts on Volvo. YMMV.
Brent Swain likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

I think you need to add 2 other options, Beta or Nanni.

Prices are cheaper and the engines get wonderfull reviews. They are readily available in the USA.
Brent Swain likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I think you need to add 2 other options, Beta or Nanni.

Prices are cheaper and the engines get wonderfull reviews. They are readily available in the USA.
They may have been cheaper in the past but not any more. I had quotes from Y and V as well as Beta and Beta was the highest by a!most $1500. I still went with Beta as I really like the engines but cheap they are not!
post #9 of 21 Old 06-25-2015
Banned

I once saw a bumper sticker on a Volvo car saying "Any parts found falling off my Volvo are of the finest Swedish craftsmanship."
My brother, a high performance racing mechanic had a wife who wanted A Volvo. So he bought her one. He said it was an absolute abortion.Aussies call them"The green death."Steer clear of Volvos . Yanmars are far better engines .
RichH likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-25-2015

I currently have a volvo and have had yanmars. I like them both. My only comment would be who is going to service your engine. If it's you either will be fine. If you are going to hire a mechanic go w/ the yanmar.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in