Buying a New Stove - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 07-30-2015

Re: Buying a New Stove

thanks for you reply--I am really new to this as just purchased my boat. it had previously had a two burner alcohol stove which is gone-- I do not know the dif between the gas and propane other than as you stated gas should be safer as the propane is heavier and can end up in you bilges. Could you tell me how the gas is handled--is it in tanks and or how do you buy it for your boat--thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 07-30-2015
Dirt Free

Beware ! Propane has very different installation requirements than CNG
Safe Boat Propane installations
katiejai likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
katiejai (07-30-2015)
post #23 of 37 Old 07-30-2015

The "Safe Boat Propane Installations" link by boatpoker ... has been one of the VERY BEST write-ups for boat Propane installations on the internet.
A MUST read.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
katiejai (07-30-2015)

post #24 of 37 Old 07-30-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: has anyone used an RV propane stove on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Unlike many 'household' design gas devices, mobile equipment most definitely needs thermo (thermocouple) controlled safety switches to prevent explosions in such 'tight' spaces such as RV and boats. There are some very (country) specific 'statutes' for gas appliances used in mobile installations.
That being said, the RV stoves CAN be used on boats and have been (Magic Chef makes one, as well as several other brands). The components won't last as long in the saltwater environment and some don't have gimballing ability, but can be done. Not sure about the fridge other than what Rich said.
katiejai likes this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
The Following User Says Thank You to seaner97 For This Useful Post:
katiejai (07-30-2015)
post #25 of 37 Old 07-30-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
Not trying to hijack thread but cannot remember how to start a new one Just wondering if it is possible--if anyone has ever taken a propane stove, and refrigerator and used than on a sailboat--- trying to do it on a strict budget and as we have a used motorhome with working stove and frig that are not being used--I could use thm on the boat if they would work. thanks for any input
If the refrigerator is propane powered it will not work in a mono-hull, as when you heel over the draft up the chimney will not work. They are used on Gemini catamarans (catamarans heel much less) but have heard of folks pulling them out and putting in 12 volt systems. I know the propane powered refrigerators in VW campers are famous for being very trouble prone, not sure they are worth the pain. The stove may be able to be used though.
post #26 of 37 Old 08-17-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
So whats wrong with the CNG stove? If the only thing wrong is it burns CNG instead of propane it can be converted to propane.
The problem we have with CNG is two-fold. It isn't nearly as available elsewhere in the world, and there is no conversion kit for our old stove.

There are a few other peccadilloes, too. CNG doesn't burn as hot and the canisters are heavier and don't last as long as LPG.

Capt'n Tom Living Aboard 50/50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
post #27 of 37 Old 08-17-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I bought this Force 10 for my wife two years ago and she absolutely loves it. It is much better than our old Seward. The slide under door is great, internal capacity of the oven is much bigger, holds more even and steadier oven temp and is considerably easier to clean except for the Euro type grate.

IMHO none of the marine stoves are all that great and I have had a chance to use them all Dickinson, Eno, Seaward etc... We bought the Force 10 because of all the stoves I have used it was the one I liked best..

My only real gripe is the engraved numbers/letters on the face are very, very hard to see....

While not a "drop-in" for the old Seaward it was a very easy 20 minute installation. What ever range you buy ship it truck freight to a local freight facility to get around the "lift gate" residential charges.

So far the Force 10 has been great with zero issues...
First, thanks to all for the great responses!

After having a Force 10 on our 36 footer, and reading more about the new ones, we've decided on the Force 10 three burner. I just ordered one from WM and will be installing it in a week or two.

Capt'n Tom Living Aboard 50/50

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
post #28 of 37 Old 08-17-2015

I bought a CNG stove then converted to propane by drilling the orfice to the correct size. Since you need less propane than CNG I filled the original orfice with solder then drilled a smaller hole. Ta-da, stove functions just fine.
copacabana likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #29 of 37 Old 08-17-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
If the refrigerator is propane powered it will not work in a mono-hull, as when you heel over the draft up the chimney will not work. They are used on Gemini catamarans (catamarans heel much less) but have heard of folks pulling them out and putting in 12 volt systems. I know the propane powered refrigerators in VW campers are famous for being very trouble prone, not sure they are worth the pain. The stove may be able to be used though.
I sailed with a propane fridge more than half way round the world, through some pretty unpleasant weather, including the 1200 mile beat up the Red Sea. It was on a trimaran, and it was the most trouble free refrigeration I have ever had on a boat in over 50 years. 20 pounds of gas every 30 days, like clockwork.
As I sit here with no refrigeration once again, I can but wish that I still had my tri right now, and a gin n tonic with ice in my hand.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #30 of 37 Old 08-17-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I sailed with a propane fridge more than half way round the world, through some pretty unpleasant weather, including the 1200 mile beat up the Red Sea. It was on a trimaran, and it was the most trouble free refrigeration I have ever had on a boat in over 50 years. 20 pounds of gas every 30 days, like clockwork.
As I sit here with no refrigeration once again, I can but wish that I still had my tri right now, and a gin n tonic with ice in my hand.
My guess is that using it all the time why you had no issues. most issues i dealt with were due to seasonal or occasional use, especially spiders making a mess of the burner and exhaust. also lots of corrosion due to not being run.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in