Where did you route your furler line? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 08-04-2015

Re: Where did you route your furler line?

The Harken installation instructions specifically recommend a ratcheting block. It controls the speed of unfurling and prevents wraps of the furling line in the drum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 08-04-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Correction, I previously had it running off a shroud, but changed it to the configuration in the pic. Works great (red arrows).
That setup sure looks like a tripping hazard to me. The common practice of running the line through fixtures on the stanchions has no downside other than the cost of the hardware and the upside of a clear deck. But no lifelines, that can make an interesting thread...

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-04-2015 at 08:26 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-04-2015
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
That setup sure looks like a tripping hazard to me. The common practice of running the line through fixtures on the stanchions has no downside other than the cost of the hardware and the upside of a clear deck. But no lifelines, that can make an interesting thread...
The new Daysailers (Aileron and such) have no lifelines and sure they look pretty, and in theory you don't leave the cockpit but are they practical? You're right that would be a different discussion.

post #14 of 16 Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
No Lifelines? I don't think I could move around on a boat like that. I don't always pull or grab onto them but its always a good balance point, plus a great routing for furler lines. But you don't have to worry about the boarding gate being in the wrong place.
Actually, I think you would be surprised to find how much easier it is to move around on a narrow boat without "lifelines". However....that's another subject (and a loaded one at that!). Search my posts for the story of why I removed them, if interested. Please don't de-rail this thread with the discussion.

The PO had the furler routed through 3 blocks mounted on the stanchions. I have it going directly through one and can bring it around the back of a winch (if needed) to furl it with ease, in even the strongest blow. Certainly don't need a ratchet block.

BTW, If you think that's a "tripping hazard", you might want to think twice before going forward on a small sailboat!

Last edited by L124C; 08-04-2015 at 07:51 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
The new Daysailers (Aileron and such) have no lifelines and sure they look pretty, and in theory you don't leave the cockpit but are they practical? You're right that would be a different discussion.
I sail regularly on an Alerion 28 without lifelines. You still have to go forward to pick up the mooirng etc. and I don't like it.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-06-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post

BTW, If you think that's a "tripping hazard", you might want to think twice before going forward on a small sailboat!
The issue is not to think twice about doing something so routine as going forward on a small boat, but rather are think prudently about setting your boat up with an on-going and un-necessary hazard to an otherwise routine activity? It's your boat, set it up as pleases you, but dont expect sympathy after your significant other went overboard going forward some night to free a backed jib sheet .

Hopefully you are following the COB thread...

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-06-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in