Topping Lift from shroud cleat on the backstay?? - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

Topping Lift from shroud cleat on the backstay??

My 28 footer does not currently have a topping lift, it uses an off-center crutch secured on the cockpit bulkhead next to the companionway. It works but the five foot long crutch is a bit of a hassle. So I am considering a topping lift.

I am considering putting a shroud cleat on the backstay a couple feet above desired boom height and running a short line from it to the aft end of the boom to serve the topping lift function. The much shorter line would permit less boom-swing than a conventional topping lift line from the masthead.

Any thoughts on this solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

Re: Topping Lift from shroud cleat on the backstay??

What you are proposing will work. Common on many smaller boats. The disadvantage is you have to hook it up prior to dropping the main or the boom ends up in the cockpit. A topping lift that goes to the top of the mast is left connected while sailing and thus will support the boom when you drop the main. Same for the spring loaded strut types installed between the base of the mast and the boom.
jblumhorst likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-13-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

If what you are describing is something to hold the boom up when the sail is down it will work fine. A topping lift is used to change the depth of the sail when underway. Since whenever the boom moves your solution would change the amount of lift of the boom it would clearly not work as a "topping lift.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot

post #4 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
If what you are describing is something to hold the boom up when the sail is down it will work fine. A topping lift is used to change the depth of the sail when underway. Since whenever the boom moves your solution would change the amount of lift of the boom it would clearly not work as a "topping lift.
Interesting. The only use on my boat for the topping lift is to hold the boom up when the sail is down. Since I don't use it to change the "depth" of the sail when underway then what should I call it?
SanderO likes this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #5 of 28 Old 08-13-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

I do not like hooking a lift off the backstay. On a windy day, you do not want to be attempting to handle the back end of the boom which will be swinging in violent circles. You risk a black eye or losing some teeth.

Installing a proper topping lift from the top of the mast is the way to go, and will also serve to support the boom when reefing. A solid boomvang is an alternative, combined with the use of the main halyard as the topping lift. I find on most boats that setting the topping lift so it just goes slack when the main is raised, allows you to ignore the topping lift for the rest of the season, i.e. it does not need further adjustment at any time.
jblumhorst and smurphny like this.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

I had this on my 22' boat. I have split backstays and when I bought the boat the boom was held up by a line that ran between the two backstays. It worked.

A couple times I forgot to unhook it and sailed away with the boom still clipped on. Didn't notice while close hauled, but things got interesting when I came down to a beam reach and tried to ease the mainsheet….

This spring I replaced it with a proper topping lift and I like that much better. It could also function as a spare halyard, if needed.
jblumhorst likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

Our first boat, a 22', had the topping lift attached to the backstay...it did its job in holding the boom up. However, I completely agree with Minnesail...I also forgot to detach it from the backstay a few times, and it can be more of a pain than one would think to reattach it when it's time to take the sail down, and the wind and seas have kicked up. For a 28', which is what we currently own, I would also suggest a proper topping lift from the masthead, which is how ours is set up and it is a much more efficient setup. However, it will work...
The Following User Says Thank You to nolesailor For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (08-13-2015)
post #8 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
I am considering putting a shroud cleat on the backstay a couple feet above desired boom height and running a short line from it to the aft end of the boom to serve the topping lift function. The much shorter line would permit less boom-swing than a conventional topping lift line from the masthead.

Any thoughts on this solution?
A shroud cleat holding the boom would carry significant weight from time to time (forgetting to disconnect, storms rocking the boat and pushing on the sail cover, people falling against the boom, etc.). Along with the clamping force of the actual cleat, I think this unnecessarily wears a spot in the backstay.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Interesting. The only use on my boat for the topping lift is to hold the boom up when the sail is down. Since I don't use it to change the "depth" of the sail when underway then what should I call it?
Not usually. I have been known to take the weight of the boom with the topping lift in light airs so as to let the sail fill. Not a trick I use often but it does work.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-13-2015

I used to sail a Catalina 27 with a Topping lift on the back stay as you describe.
It works.
I can't begin to list all the reasons I disliked it.
It tends to act like a sheet once its attached.
Particularly awkward if when reefing.
Rigged from the top of the mast is much better, if you can a solid boom vang is the way to go. I have one on my current boat its great.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in