Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 08-23-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Companionway bars

luckily, so far, knocking wood, my security systemless of a meanass cat and a baseball bat and ugly exterior of boat... has kept folks away even close to where others have been home invaded due to loveliness and overabundance of toys.
show wealth and they will come.
not that advertising brokeassness is a deterrent... we willsee, but i have not needed to lock my boat in mexico, so far.
mebbe i should install a hasp and buy a lock, ye think???
the biggest threats i have encountered i have been able to deal with via baseball bat and loud voice in ensenada, or by shaming the gringos that took my charts out my boat in mazatlan.
funny how my only invaders were sail cruising gringos......

mebbe i will have one of the welders i encounter design me a good companionway item such as mark j uses.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 29 Old 08-23-2015

Bear spray is a legit option, but I'm not convinced it would be all that effective.

First, if you're locked down below (which you should be), the intruder has to be escalating the situation by trying to break in anyway. If they aren't, you should only be calling the authorities. You don't spray away, just because they are stealing stuff out of the cockpit. If they are trying to break in, knowing you're down there, your life is in danger for sure. My concern is, while one may be trying to kick your bars in, there are likely to be more than one and not all likely to be in range of the companionway. One gets really pissed off, while the others are now warned.

The only time you should attack an intruder, in any form, is when your life is in clear and present danger. You don't threaten and you don't use a display of force as a deterrent, as each of these could escalate the situation beyond what may have occurred, if you just stayed locked down below. When you threaten an intruder, they are now going to try to defend their own lives. However, when a boot is coming through your barred companionway, with you aboard, a potentially lethal response is both warranted and likely to be all that would drive others off the boat. I believe it wasn't until the intruder was stabbed that they departed Rainbow above.
jerryrlitton likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 29 Old 08-23-2015

Here is a link from James Baldwin showing how to make security bars for the companionway:

Atom Voyages - Improving Your Boat's Companionway

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #25 of 29 Old 08-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
The bars show intent of the intruder, makes it harder to make a mistake!...Dale
Sometimes waiting for the intent to show may cause other problems. I think I have intent if I am boarded by several unknowns at 0200. (Yes I know, they boarded the wrong boat because they were drunk and my gin palace looks like their junk. Get real) The bars just buy me time. Some number 4 will be good at that point. After that think about cutting the anchor, getting out of dodge and cleaning up very well. Just a thought. Yeah yeah woulda shoulda coulda. I mentioned it before but you cannot try to second guess the victim here. You have no way of crawling into his predicament and feel, see, everything he did. We were not there. He did the best he could under those circumstances and with his experience and mindset. The bottom line is talking about it sometimes is very different than actually doing it. Just keep your eyes open, take nothing for granted and have a plan or two.

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 08-23-2015 at 05:18 PM.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
Sometimes waiting for the intent to show may cause other problems. I think I have intent if I am boarded by several unknowns at 0200. ....... The bars just buy me time. Some number 4 will be good at that point. .....
If they step aboard, there is intent, but you can't know it's to do bodily harm, until they know you're aboard. If they don't immediately flea, once you make that known (most will), you have some nasty intent.

The problem is knowing whether you have them all in range of your number 4. You might permanently deter the one near the companionway, while his buddy decides to start putting his number 4 randomly through your hull.

Sometimes, it's best to lay in wait until the whole flock moves in close.

00, btw

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-23-2015

Survivors still have a lot of explaining to do: and how it looks makes all the difference!......Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #28 of 29 Old 08-24-2015

No, bars may not stop a determined home invasion but it will slow them down!! May even deter them altogether if they are not prepared to deal with bars. Hopefully it would give you time to call for help and raise an alarm. Even if you are not home if you are anchored near others they may take notice of someone struggling to get in.

Last edited by katiejai; 08-24-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: upload malfunction
post #29 of 29 Old 08-24-2015
Banned

Aluminium hatches which can be locked from inside, are a far greater deterrent. Far better than teak . It takes some serious power tools to get thru mine. They are also far more seaworthy.I have a long night latch, on piece of wire rope, which means you have to close the door first, to get it open. That lets me leave it cracked for air. Meanwhile ,I would have plenty of time to load my spear gun.
Many pirate reports I read of, is when they wake in the night to find a stranger in the cabin with them. I wonder how long they cruised without locking their hatches ! They obviously had no problem with it ; up till then!
There is no way they could get thru a locked hatch, unnoticed. Leaving it unlocked is asking or trouble. Just a matter of time . No telling how much time. That is a crap shoot, roll of the dice.

A padlock in plain view tells anyone in sight that you are not home. A padlock inside, reached thru a vent ,and they have no idea if anyone is aboard. It is also much harder to pick or break a padlock inside, and it is far less prone to corrosion.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-24-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in