Chasing down a persistent Porthole Leak - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 08-24-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Chasing down a persistent Porthole Leak

If you pull any hardware you might want to read this:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...utyl-tape.html

It is a good primer on sealing deck hardware. Maine Sail is very knowledgeable, I don't know if his butyl tape is really that much better than others, but it is not expensive so you are getting a known quality for a reasonable price.

You might want to make a signature and put the brand/model and year of your boat in it. As someone may have the same boat and say something like "oh that is the forward most hand hold on the cabin top, always leaks" or some thing along those lines. Is that a late 70's Pearson?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 08-25-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Smile Re: Chasing down a persistent Porthole Leak

"Buy some cake coloring or food dye
5 different colors if possible"

Whoa, Dude! A tie-dyed sailboat!

"Dave's not here man!"
post #13 of 14 Old 08-25-2015

My port leaked right over the chart table. Drove me nuts! It ended up being the handrails. Yes, the water travels. Work from high to low when looking for leaks. If it turns out being the handrail, or the hatch. I would dig out any wet core and pot the holes with epoxy and re-drill. I haven't had a leak since doing that. Knock on fiberglass..

If the water is escaping through the port, that would also mean that you will likely have wet core along the path of travel. I ended up re-bedding my port as well. When they cut the opening for my port there were spots of raw core ends I dug out the wet core around the port and epoxied the edge. So that there was no raw core exposed. I picked a week of good weather and let everything dry out as much as possible before re-bedding everything.

Last edited by tempest; 08-25-2015 at 12:42 AM.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
As mentioned above, your best approach to this is to completely redo the whole port.
However, keep in mind that the water may be coming in some place else (the hatch above the port?) and just channeling to this egress point. Water can move a long way inside a boat from point of entry to point of visible egress.
Its not uncommon for portlights near or directly under any 'fastener attached' device to drain water, the water getting into the core of the deck house from the leaking fasteners above. Loosened hand rails are notorious leakers and the water can indeed migrate a long way to the most vulnerable exit point. Best is to remove the porlight, inspect for water migration from other sources, etc. etc.
A rotted side of a coach roof core is a real PITA to remedy; in the northern areas where it freezes its easy to find a water soaked coach roof side - they often CRACK when the ice builds up sufficient pressure.

Tags
leak , porthole , water

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in