Sinking Feeling - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Re: Sinking Feeling

Sinking will take a lot of the pleasure out of sail too. don't go off on us because you are to lazy to close them and did not expect a failure. the one thing that I have learned in 60 years of working on boats is to do everything you can to prevent a failure. if you don't turn them off then I say you should expect the next failure will be sooner then you think.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

What about the drain(s) from the cockpit, do you close them as well, when you leave the boat?
post #13 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

We always close all seacocks when leaving for more than a day. If you make it part of your normal leaving and returning routine you should not forget. (turn on engine battery, open engine seacock, etc...) It's worked for us.

post #14 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
What about the drain(s) from the cockpit, do you close them as well, when you leave the boat?
According to Boat US, closed (or blocked) cockpit drains are the number one cause of boat sinkings in marinas. The cockpit fills up, and downfloods into the salon.

One nasty possibility is that the drains block, the weight of water in the cockpit is enough to lower the drains below sea level, then the boat sinks fast.

Rather than close the cockpit drains, the solution is to have components that you can rely on. I have the really thick Trident hose, double clamped at the through-hulls.

You also need to visit regularly and make sure they are not blocked.
SailsTax and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 08-25-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

I am very disciplined in this regard. Every time I sail, without fail, on the drive home I wonder if I should have closed the seacocks.
deniseO30 and Minnesail like this.
post #16 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
As it happens, a few weeks ago I had the kitchen sink metal (connector under the sink) literally crumble in my hands when I was working on something down there. I could have failed literally any time and easily sunk the boat had the seacock been open.

I ALLWAYS close ALL seacocks when I am not on board.
This just emphasizes that you need to have all the critical components in good condition. Solid through-hulls, top-quality hose, double-clamped.

The Trident hose to my sinks is so stiff, it could disconnect from the sink and nothing would happen as the top end will always be above the water line.

Closing sea-cocks is fine, but that should be a failsafe, not a substitute for quality components and proper maintenance.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #17 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
Not sure if that was addressed to me.

In any case, it would not apply, my cockpit drains do not have seacocks. The corresponding thru hulls are under the stern and above the waterline (though only just).
post #18 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
This just emphasizes that you need to have all the critical components in good condition. Solid through-hulls, top-quality hose, double-clamped.

The Trident hose to my sinks is so stiff, it could disconnect from the sink and nothing would happen as the top end will always be above the water line.

Closing sea-cocks is fine, but that should be a failsafe, not a substitute for quality components and proper maintenance.
I agree, that is exactly as I see it.

I did not think I would need to do preventive maintenance on a kitchen sink; failure of this part was not something that I expected. Of course now I know that this can happen but I assume that there may be other things that I do not expect to fail. Therefore I want redundancy. Therefore I close the seacocks.
post #19 of 30 Old 08-25-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
According to Boat US, closed (or blocked) cockpit drains are the number one cause of boat sinkings in marinas. The cockpit fills up, and downfloods into the salon.
I had that happen to me last winter. We had heavy snow that blocked the drain in the cockpit then immediately followed by rain. Came to the boat and the bilge was full. And my boat is on a trailer.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #20 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnman View Post
My reason for the post was to suggest people check their water stainer, not to start a dialog about closing seacocks. My failure was due to metal fatigue, something you normally wouldn't see unless you were looking for it.
Sorry, but your experience is a very good case for closing them, IMO. You may want to run the risk to save a time on each trip, but you could have lost your boat.

I don't own a boat (don't get to sail enough), but would go through a pre-cruise checklist before each outing even for my own boat. That would include the position of seacocks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in