Sinking Feeling - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Re: Sinking Feeling

My feeling is that seacocks are there for a reason. I couldn't sleep at night, away from my boat, knowing any of my sea cocks were open (and I have a lot of them) after having seen so many boat sink because a hose spit or blew off and overwhelmed the bilge pump before anyone noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
What about the drain(s) from the cockpit, do you close them as well, when you leave the boat?
I have an open transom, so I don't have cockpit drains so to speak. Just one huge one in the back!

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #23 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
As it happens, a few weeks ago I had the kitchen sink metal (connector under the sink) literally crumble in my hands when I was working on something down there. I could have failed literally any time and easily sunk the boat had the seacock been open.
A friend almost lost his boat years ago with a similar issue. Sink hose slipped off the sink connector, fell down, and water started running in. Luckily he noticed the boat was low in the water before it sank.

post #24 of 30 Old 08-25-2015
Master Mariner

I believe the problem lies more with the deterioration of the cork gasket on the sea strainer than the bronze. As the cork deteriorates, one must tighten the wing nuts more and more, thereby putting much more pressure on the bronze, rather than compressing the cork. I rarely need to tighten that type of sea strainer more than hand tight, plus a bit.
Again, a maintenance failure, not an equipment failure.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

So common is the crumbled sink bib. And a hose held up by it. Everyone should get under their sink to see how close to sinking they are.
post #26 of 30 Old 08-26-2015

If you use proper hose, the Trident (or similar) stuff with the thick wall, it is more likely to hold the sink up, than be held up by it. It won't "fall down".

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #27 of 30 Old 08-26-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Of, forget about seacocks. That's for cheapskates.

The prudent mariner drysails his yacht. And has the marina staff pull it, block it, and secure it with hurricane ties whenever it is not being used. We usually call ahead and have it relaunched first thing in the morning before taking it out again.

Seacocks. Wet storage. Really? Is money so tight?
Morild likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old 08-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
If you use proper hose, the Trident (or similar) stuff with the thick wall, it is more likely to hold the sink up, than be held up by it. It won't "fall down".
And you want to rely on a hose holding the sink up, rather than closing the seacock?

You are a braver man than I am.
post #29 of 30 Old 08-26-2015
Barquito

Quote:
What about the drain(s) from the cockpit, do you close them as well, when you leave the boat?
Good point. Most cockpit drains will only have one hose/seacock per drain, whereas, the engine seacock will have many connections and components that can fail... the strainer being one. Therefore, you will decrease risk the most my leaving drains open, and everything else closed.

As to the OP. He gives good advice. Check everthing that is under the water line often.
MarkSF likes this.

Valiant 32
post #30 of 30 Old 08-26-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

If you're leaving the boat for any extended period of time, then closing everything off is a good idea but to do that every time you leave for a day or two just ain't going to happen. The best insurance is to have everything shipshape. Hoses aren't coming off and pieces aren't failing unless they're some sort of plastic junk or have not been maintained and checked once in a while. Most boat sinkings I've seen are the result of inattention.
MarkSF likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in