SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sinking Feeling (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/216290-sinking-feeling.html)

sailnman 08-25-2015 11:55 AM

Sinking Feeling

1 Attachment(s)
I hadn't used the boat for a week so I went out to the mooring to check. Water was pouring out of the the two bilge pump thru hulls. I rushed below to see what the problem was. The cover on the raw water strainer was off. I shut the seacock and discovered that the hinged bolt to lock down the cover had broken. I checked the other bolt and it was also cracked. The strainer had been cleaned out several weeks prior. It was pure and simple luck that I went out to the boat that afternoon. I am currently awaiting delivery of another manufacturers water strainer.
This strainer was in all likelihood original with the sailboat in1988. I had replaced all the hoses and several of the seacocks when I purchased the boat five years ago but the strainer? it looked fine. What could go wrong? Well, now I know and would strongly suggest you check out your water strainer to avoid that sinking feeling.
Rich

scratchee 08-25-2015 11:59 AM

Re: Sinking Feeling

Congratulations on keeping the worst stuff in the "could have happened but didn't" category.

deniseO30 08-25-2015 12:06 PM

Glad you didn't loose the boat! Now. shame on you! (spank spank) It is wrong to not to close ALL the sea valves when the boat is unattended. First thing I told the new owner of my boat. Did I practice what I preached? (no one will ever know )

overbored 08-25-2015 12:09 PM

wow got lucky. why not close the seacock and leave the engine keys on the handle so you will remember to open it before using the engine. I never leave any seacocks open when leaving the boat. thats what they are for. over the years I have seen several boat sink at the dock for the same thing or a hose came off or split

JimsCAL 08-25-2015 12:15 PM

I always close mine also. Another benefit of doing that is that they get worked periodically and thus are more likely to close or open when needed.

MarkSF 08-25-2015 12:30 PM

I certainly close the raw water seacock, as there are so many potential failure points in that circuit. I don't always close the kitchen sink, and the bathroom sink.

kernunnos 08-25-2015 12:45 PM

The PO of mine, just days before purchase, had the head inlet thru hull fall apart in his hands, fortunately.
so we changed all of the through hulls on the grid before I paid him, I was able to have the survey done and painted the bottom as well. On the PO's Grid time.

MastUndSchotbruch 08-25-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 2987882)
I certainly close the raw water seacock, as there are so many potential failure points in that circuit. I don't always close the kitchen sink, and the bathroom sink.

As it happens, a few weeks ago I had the kitchen sink metal (connector under the sink) literally crumble in my hands when I was working on something down there. I could have failed literally any time and easily sunk the boat had the seacock been open.

I ALLWAYS close ALL seacocks when I am not on board.

sailnman 08-25-2015 01:05 PM

Thanks for your replies,
I have been building boats and sailing them for over forty years. My present boat has eight seacocks. To go and shut them all off and then have to remember to turn them all on would take a lot of the pleasure out of sailing. Also, I have known people who thought their seacock were open for the refrigeration, only to discover a large repair bill because it was closed. Or the folks who blew out the head because the valve was closed. I understand the reason for shutting the seacocks, I choose to be vigilant in the maintenance of those seacocks and their associated hoses.
My reason for the post was to suggest people check their water stainer, not to start a dialog about closing seacocks. My failure was due to metal fatigue, something you normally wouldn't see unless you were looking for it.

deniseO30 08-25-2015 01:19 PM

Close em no matter how many. As a builder you know better! You nearly lost your boat because of the rationalization you put forth.

But you knew you would hear this when you posted on an open forum.