Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 296 Old 09-15-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

1976 1976 FUJI Sailing Yacht 4-108 35ft Ketch Sail Boat For

Pretty- don't know anything about these.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 296 Old 09-15-2015 Thread Starter

Nice boat. Would probably cost as much to get it to me....

1981 Niagara 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1971 Bristol 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
(this one is for you Kriss- I'm not posting 'moderate build quality boats')

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #123 of 296 Old 09-15-2015

I like the other B34 more, as it has traveler in the cockpit and better general condition. The Swan 36 is a kickass boat but at that price it likely has some serious issues, like leaky teak deck. These boats go for 60 grand when they look nice and survey well.
seaner97 likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #124 of 296 Old 09-15-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Yeah, I limited my search to Fibreglass. Notable seems to be that the northeast (where I live) seems to have higher prices for older boats.
Less use due to the short season and lots of respect for tradition.

Great Lakes boats seem to fetch high prices in the same way - short season and fresh water there.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #125 of 296 Old 09-15-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
An Ericson 46 for $25K? I'd want that surveyed very carefully - the coffee grinders are worth that.

I have always lusted after those boats, ever since they were new but I've seen blogs of what they can need - like new bulkheads for starters. You could drop $100K in very short order even doing the work yourself.

Not exactly a short handed boat either - IIRC they raced with 12 crew.

And it's in Fla. so it'll be sunburned on the outside too.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #126 of 296 Old 09-15-2015
Old enough to know better

1963 LeComte Northeast 38 Sail Boat For Sale - Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com is beautiful! as is the Niagara

Not a CCA boat but is really cool for the money:
1978 Valiant 32 sailboat for sale in Vermont
post #127 of 296 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

I didn't limit to CCA boats intentionally as Jeff said 'better designs for the money' (or something close- I'm tired of trying to be precise when there isn't a substantive difference). I, frankly, don't really know what that means and think it is very subjective. One person might want the lowest PHRF, another might rank by capsize screen, another aesthetics. I think they're all valid as long as they are valid for the owner.
The Swan might be exactly what he was talking about. A boat well under market that you could make spectacular. It certainly wasn't for sale 5 years ago or I'd have looked at it.
post #128 of 296 Old 09-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

Great Lakes boats seem to fetch high prices in the same way - short season and fresh water there.
I was thinking, my location could be the reason I haven't seen any(that I recall) 60's on up built hulls from the production builders, being scrapped for strutural reasons. I'm only considering larger sailboats beyond say 26 or 27 feet.

I have seen a few smaller ones scrapped for simple none value. It's amazing how low prices have gone on some neglected and less popular designs, some newer than you might expect.

Those being scrapped may be in warmer areas where they end up in the water year round. That plus lack of maintenance could be aging the glass faster?

That may be one way to extend the life of an older boat-use it seasonally which allows it to dry out for the half the season? Blisters for instance, are more prevalent in year round use areas.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #129 of 296 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

I was thinking, my location could be the reason I haven't seen any(that I recall) 60's on up built hulls from the production builders, being scrapped for strutural reasons. I'm only considering larger sailboats beyond say 26 or 27 feet.

I have seen a few smaller ones scrapped for simple none value. It's amazing how low prices have gone on some neglected and less popular designs, some newer than you might expect.

Those being scrapped may be in warmer areas where they end up in the water year round. That plus lack of maintenance could be aging the glass faster?

That may be one way to extend the life of an older boat-use it seasonally which allows it to dry out for the half the season? Blisters for instance, are more prevalent in year round use areas.
There is also the UV degradation issue, which is less prominent up here both because people tend to wax as a yearly prep ritual and because they are under cover for 6-7 months. Doesn't change the way they were built, however.
I do wonder if stated reasons for scrapping are like death certificates- you have to put something down but it's rarely the whole story. That's why I wondered what the major structural issue was. Are we talking cracks in the hull that could have been repaired, but wasn't "worth it"? Or catastrophic failure of the deck to hull joint? Or totaled by insurance but could have been rehabbed if the market wasn't so depressed? I'm sure Jeff will be back to tell us at some point.

Last edited by seaner97; 09-16-2015 at 07:44 AM.
post #130 of 296 Old 09-16-2015
Senior Moment Member

I've seen a couple of "good" boats cut up - a Cal 25 for one - that were simply too scruffy to use and no-one stepped up in time to save them from the villainous boatyard owner who wanted the space back for paying customers.

Most have been too far gone to save though - went on the rocks, collision damage etc. I actually haven't seen many boats cut up that I would be willing to take on and I'm a major sucker for an orphan in need.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in