Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 17 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 296 Old 10-12-2015
Freedom Chip Counter

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

I’ve been working on re-finishing / furbishing a 1969 Pearson Wanderer. It’s been a great experience for someone with very little keel boat time. Before I had acquired the vessel I spent a lot of time perusing this forum and came away with the impression that I really should know the boat inside and out before dropping it in the water.

In retrospect I think I should have taken the previous owner’s advice to just put the thing in the water and start sailing! That way I could have discovered where the real need for upgrades and repairs were. Just sitting there in the yard it’s difficult to determine the weak links….sure there are obvious items, but until you stress the rigging, motor, rudder, life lines, you’re really just speculating. Of course many of us on the forum seem to be professional speculators! It’s a sport we enjoy! Don’t get me wrong, there is a ton of invaluable information here also….just have to be diligent.

Re-finishing an aging vessel is a great educational experience….that may be where the true investment pays dividends. In 2 years, after bumping off docks, running aground, coping with cross currents, I hope to sell her and move into something made in this century! But in my mind, I have not “earned” that privilege just yet.

Best,
doo
SloopJonB likes this.

Tartan 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 296 Old 10-12-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
I?ve been working on re-finishing / furbishing a 1969 Pearson Wanderer. It?s been a great experience for someone with very little keel boat time. Before I had acquired the vessel I spent a lot of time perusing this forum and came away with the impression that I really should know the boat inside and out before dropping it in the water.

In retrospect I think I should have taken the previous owner?s advice to just put the thing in the water and start sailing! That way I could have discovered where the real need for upgrades and repairs were. Just sitting there in the yard it?s difficult to determine the weak links?.sure there are obvious items, but until you stress the rigging, motor, rudder, life lines, you?re really just speculating. Of course many of us on the forum seem to be professional speculators! It?s a sport we enjoy! Don?t get me wrong, there is a ton of invaluable information here also?.just have to be diligent.

Re-finishing an aging vessel is a great educational experience?.that may be where the true investment pays dividends. In 2 years, after bumping off docks, running aground, coping with cross currents, I hope to sell her and move into something made in this century! But in my mind, I have not ?earned? that privilege just yet.

Best,
doo
What all have you done and what surprises have you found?
post #163 of 296 Old 10-12-2015
Senior Moment Member

If you are planning to buy something built in the new Millennium you better be very picky and have a fat wallet.
scubadoo likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

post #164 of 296 Old 10-12-2015

There are good old boats with good bones that are built to a level of quality that allows them to be a potential refurbishment candidates. There are tired old boats that were originally cheaply made that have not been maintained and are better consigned to the dumpster. If you are not very sure of what you are looking at you better hire a good surveyor and LISTEN to what they say. An unfinished refurbishment will result in a complete loss of your investment. Pick the correct boat to refurbish, make sure you understand the TOTAL cost of said refurbishment and make sure you have the funds to complete the refurbishment.

Shock out.............
post #165 of 296 Old 10-12-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
There are good old boats with good bones that are built to a level of quality that allows them to be a potential refurbishment candidates. There are tired old boats that were originally cheaply made that have not been maintained and are better consigned to the dumpster. If you are not very sure of what you are looking at you better hire a good surveyor and LISTEN to what they say. An unfinished refurbishment will result in a complete loss of your investment. Pick the correct boat to refurbish, make sure you understand the TOTAL cost of said refurbishment and make sure you have the funds to complete the refurbishment.

Shock out.............
I've had TWO that have gone over her and pronounced her in "above average to excellent" condition from a mechanical and sailing standpoint, and have commented on how stoutly "these old boats were built" and how they are "far better than the crap built today". (Direct quotes as I recall them). That would fly in the face of the discussion we have been having, so, while a surveyor may be helpful, it probably isn't the end all.
But there is certainly wisdom in what you've added.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #166 of 296 Old 10-15-2015
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
What all have you done and what surprises have you found?
The bad:

After removing 46 years of bottom paint…literally about an 1/8” thick…I discovered 2 large areas of bondo, approximately 18” in diameter. No visible damage from the inside, not too sure what to make of it?

46 years of DYI wiring….there are maybe 12 legitimate working connections, out of 60 plus wires. No-one removed the old ones when there was a short, they just ran a new one!

Fiberglass “tubes” for the scuppers and sink drain that terminate below the water line!

Leach almost completely blown out and severely tattered on the mainsail.

The good:

3” hull reinforcement ribs (stringers) at 5’ on center originally installed by the factory.
No sag in the deck stepped mast support. It was designed with a steel plate spanning between 2 forward bulkheads.

Solid rudder.

It is a little cliché, by now, but the surveyor actually said (when looking at the hull thickness, full keel layup from the inside, engine mount and the stringers ) “they don’t built them like this anymore!” Good or bad, several people in the yard are also made similar comments.

Appears to be fairly “idiot proof”…..good thing!!

Tartan 31
post #167 of 296 Old 10-15-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
TFiberglass “tubes” for the scuppers and sink drain that terminate below the water line!
As long as they are very solid (like as solid as the hull) having the scupper drains done like that is no bad thing - they provide reinforcement for the cockpit and eliminate through hulls, hoses & hose clamps, all of which can fail. It's fairly common in metal boats.

The sink drain not so much - too much potential for flex.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #168 of 296 Old 10-15-2015
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
As long as they are very solid (like as solid as the hull) having the scupper drains done like that is no bad thing - they provide reinforcement for the cockpit and eliminate through hulls, hoses & hose clamps, all of which can fail. It's fairly common in metal boats.

The sink drain not so much - too much potential for flex.
Great to know!! (I was a bit worried there)

The sink has a black rubber hose connecting to the fiberglass tube above the water line...hopefully will ease the stress on the tube?

Crazy thing is someone (I don't think it is stock) connected one of the bildge pumps to that little extension of rubber hose....I'm thinking when the bildge pump turns on the contents are going to take the path of least resistance and come flying up through the sink drain. If I'm moving, I suppose there may be a siphon effect, but if I'm at the dock, I'm picturing bildge water dripping from my cabin ceiling!

Tartan 31
post #169 of 296 Old 10-16-2015
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Talking about boats in any context as investments is absurd - they are lifestyle expenditures. Does anyone ever speak about "investing" in ski lift tickets or trips to foreign countries? At least with boats you do have a hard asset with some value, not just memories.
True Dat! I rationalize it as two separate things. The "parked money" used to own the Boat and "upkeep" money, maintainence, upgrades, dockage, out and about money. I had a friend who owned a Ferrari for a while until the $800 spark plug wires got to be too much then he got his "parked" money back from the sale.
Even this has to be right one to appreciate but just recouping the purchase price however tough can be maintained by the upkeep money.
But then I don't have a restoration Boat (or the Ferrari for that matter), that would skew the whole thing.
post #170 of 296 Old 10-24-2015 Thread Starter

As the winter season approaches, my list for this offseason includes standing rigging/chainplates, a couple electrical gremlins, replacing the old compression post step with a block of g10 and new lifelines. I'm half done with a new salon table and have a bunch of black locust (New England teak) to make a cockpit grate. Anything the experts would recommend I do/look at at the same time?

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in