Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 18 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 296 Old 10-30-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Jeff- been awhile.

I've contacted a couple guys I know that insure boats. They have never heard of that study and couldn't find it. Their personal experience contradicted it. Any other leads on it?

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 296 Old 10-30-2015
grumpy old man

I read the thread. You guys seem to have this covered pretty well.

I'll say this. In the early 60's no one knew much about "engineering" laminate schedules so they compensated by building thick. I think the original Rhodes Reliant has shrouds attacked to u bolts in the deck. Chainplates are over rated! Thick works. I am not advoctating bolting your shrouds to the deck!

Thick really works if you are rebuilding an old boat. Your shell should last maybe forever? We just don't know. Cored decks can be a problem. But solid lam hulls are going to be around a long time.

That's it for me. If I had to chose one boat that has been mentioned here I;d have to say I have always had a soft spot for the C&C 35 MK 1. What a sweeeeeeeet boat.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
seaner97 (10-30-2015)
post #173 of 296 Old 10-30-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. Really nothing to add regarding areas that could have been done better in the 50s-70s era that would have made the boats more bomber? Maybe PCP is REALLY full of it if there isn't much we could do to reinforce them or make them better as owners.
And yeah, the C&C 35 always looked like a sweet boat.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

post #174 of 296 Old 10-31-2015
it's a long story

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I disagree with the consternation. Work hardening and stress cycles are a result of flex. If the boat is rigid enough it won't flex enough to matter. Glass flexes by breaking down microscopically - you can hear it if you severely flex a piece of glass - it makes a crunching sound.

If it doesn't reach that point in service, it's life is quite simply unknown - certainly longer than ours. The early glass cruising boats are 60 Y.O. now and going strong unless they haven't been maintained - look at Jerry Litton's Islander in Thailand - 50 in a year or so and it looks nicer than most new stuff.

Don't worry about some intrinsic lifespan of the material - no-one knows if there is one or if so, how long it is. Decide how much restoration work you are willing to do and find a boat that needs that much work.
So I'd like to add my two cents worth since I am a proud owner of a rock solid 1962 Columbia 29, but in reading through the thread I hit on the name Jerry Litton. Hey, who is he? Perhaps a long lost relative of mine? (I'm Donald Litton) Maybe good old boats are in our bloodline... There is only one weakness in mine, the mast base support and I'll be working on that soon. But she is still sailing strong (6-7 knots at the usual at 20-25 degrees of heel typically).
BTW I may have missed it but if you go to bluewaterboats.org and look at the Pearson Rhodes 41 you will see links to huge album of a total refit of one that is absolutely beautiful. Those old hulls are WORTH refitting. That 41 is on my short list of dream boats...
Here is album 3 they posted there:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c007ac6e98

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37

Last edited by turboduck; 10-31-2015 at 02:12 AM. Reason: add info
post #175 of 296 Old 10-31-2015
Senior Moment Member

Jerry is on here as jerrylitton

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
turboduck (10-31-2015)
post #176 of 296 Old 10-31-2015 Thread Starter

And he's got a kicka** Islander that was refurbed professionally in Thailand. Pics on several threads to make you jealous.
post #177 of 296 Old 10-31-2015
grumpy old man

Yeah, I've seen Jerry's boat. It's a keeper. It's an Islander pretending it's a Hinkley.
seaner97 and aeventyr60 like this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #178 of 296 Old 11-02-2015

Any one interested in refurbishing plastic classics should check out Tim Lackey's website lackeysailingdotcom. Tim fixes up some beautiful CCA inspired boats and makes them better than new. He also documented a spec project: the complete rehab of a derelict Pearson Triton into a modern "classic" daysailer.
post #179 of 296 Old 11-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I think the original Rhodes Reliant has shrouds attacked to u bolts in the deck. Chainplates are over rated! Thick works. I am not advoctating bolting your shrouds to the deck!

Hey I've got a Rhodes Reliant. Early build, too. It actually has regular chainplates, attached to knees on the hull. Its original.

I have seen exactly what you mention on some other boat, though.
post #180 of 296 Old 11-02-2015
grumpy old man

Chris: I think there were some variations on the Rhodes Reliant theme. It could have been an original Bounty that I saw.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in