Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 22 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 296 Old 11-18-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
Seldom post here, but can't resist given my infatuation with CCA era designs. After 20 years of ownership and "unreasonable" expeditures on restoration, bought a newer design and gave my 1966 Vanguard to my daughter. Over the years, I've rebuilt the A4, insulated the hull, reinsulated and installed refrigeration, solarized and installed new battery bank, paneled over the old formica finish, laid a teak and holly floor, installed a furler and traveller, slab reefing, washdown pump,holding tank, new head, shower and hotwater, a propane oven, converted to LEDs, built a seahood,paid for a superb dodger, new interior and exterior cushions bookcases, new countertops-it has been endless...and fun new upgrade every season.- the whole time I sailed Moonraker all around the New England coast from Cape Cod to Castine Maine. I lived aboard for ten years.

I bought a Pearson 365-bigger, roomier, faster and honestly, easier to sail than my Vanguard. I believe the glasswork is probably better, certainly thinner and requiring more stringers, but the level of finish in glasswork seems better. I will need to do similar amounts of upgrading on Troipicbird as shes old and tired.The bulkheads seem too thin coming from the Vanguard.

But, I have first right of refusal if my daughter tires of Moonraker. I gave it to her because I couldn't bear to sell the boat. Through all kinds of weather, that little Vanguard kept my crew safe. The interior is small enough below that finding a bracing spot was easy. The little cabin heater made heating it a snap and we were always warm and dry. The boat is dead simple, good on a reach or run- uncomplicated and actually sails well enough. Unlike Jeff, I found she hove to quite well. I don't see my new 365 pointing much higher at all and the 365 is slower under 10 knots. There is no disputing the 365 is more comfortable and carries more water and stores, but she also costs a lot more. If and when I go cruising, if I go solo, I may have to buy Moonraker back.

Year after year, the local paper features a photo of Moonraker on the front page as a herald of the oncoming boating season. Both boats are on my own moorings side by side, but when I row away, its the Vanguard my eyes are drawn to-the 365 looks blocky and monolithic alongside the Vanguard. And while I paid a low price for the 365, I could buy three Vanguards for the price-and all of that saved money could be put into upgrades.

In the end, boats are not investments. For some they are machines to get you from point A to point B. For others, they are vehicles for our passions, our artistic sensibility married to our sense of adventure.

Faster is not always better.
You should post more often. We need more posters with your passion and thoughtfulness.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 296 Old 11-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
.... but one thing I can almost assure is that unless I win the lottery, I won't be buying a new boat, and even if I did, I certainly would be buying one that has lines that harken back to or is reminiscent of the CCA rule era.
Even if you win the lottery, you can spend some serious money on CCA rule boats. Sparkman Stevens BOLERO has those lines you mention. Nice sheer, low-super wide decks, small, low cabin house, lovely overhangs, clean lines. A classic boat.

Sure BOLERO is huge but I think the scale of this boat would work at half this length.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #213 of 296 Old 11-19-2015

Bolero is IMHO one of the prettiest boats I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics

post #214 of 296 Old 11-19-2015

S&S drew some beautiful boats. If you can't afford Bolero you can get an S&S Apache in fair condition for about 7-10k.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #215 of 296 Old 11-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Bolero is IMHO one of the prettiest boats I've ever seen.

It's looks as good out of the water as in. Here it is after the rain stopped.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #216 of 296 Old 11-19-2015 Thread Starter

Yeah, BOLERO is pretty, but she's slow, a wet ride, and probably has substandard glass work. Just kidding. I love her. DROOL.
post #217 of 296 Old 11-19-2015

Quote:
Now.... wait a sec!!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #218 of 296 Old 11-19-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, BOLERO is pretty, but she's slow, a wet ride, and probably has substandard glass work. Just kidding. I love her. DROOL.
Oops- forgot she was wood. Olin Stephens pre glass days. So I guess the hull layup wouldn't be an issue.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #219 of 296 Old 11-19-2015

Quote:
Yeah, BOLERO is pretty, but she's slow, a wet ride, and probably has substandard glass work.
Doubt you would find much glass work. Bolero was built in 1949 by Nevins. Over 100,000 bronze screws though.

Classic Boat Special: Bolero | Yachting Magazine
seaner97 likes this.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #220 of 296 Old 11-19-2015
it's a long story

Quote:
Through all kinds of weather, that little Vanguard kept my crew safe. The interior is small enough below that finding a bracing spot was easy. The little cabin heater made heating it a snap and we were always warm and dry. The boat is dead simple, good on a reach or run- uncomplicated and actually sails well enough.
In the end, boats are not investments. For some they are machines to get you from point A to point B. For others, they are vehicles for our passions, our artistic sensibility married to our sense of adventure.

Yep, thanks for that. Boats like ours just inspire a longing and affection that is just inexplicable... like the love for the sea itself.
seaner97 likes this.

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37

Last edited by turboduck; 11-20-2015 at 01:08 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in